Couple issues: bouncing RPMs and car stalls at stops

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

JonSC4

I'm having a couple issues I hope you guys can help me with.

The first problem originally appeared when it got colder outside (50's and below). I could either be driving or stopped and I would lose all throttle response and the motor would rev up and down really fast between 1200 and a couple hundred RPMs. At the same time the CEL would flash. This would last for a couple of seconds...if I was driving then everything would go back to normal but if I was stopped then the car would die.

One time it even did the opposite of the above. The RPMs jumped between 1200 and 1800 and if I let it idle from a stop it would accelerate to around 20mph. I still had throttle response. When this happened both the CEL and traction control lights came on and stayed solid as opposed to above where the CEL flashes.

The above only happens when it's colder out, regardless of engine temp, however it does lessen when the engine warms up but doesn't stop completely if the air temp is still colder.

The second problem is the car randomly dies when I'm at a stop. At first it hardly ever did it but now it does it quite consistently. Temperature seems to have no effect on whether or not this happens.

Aside from these problems, the car drives perfectly fine. The CEL never stays on. I jumped the diagnostic terminals to see if it stored a code and when I did this the CEL and O/D light both blinked continuously but the CEL did not blink in a pattern that represented a code.

There are a few other observations I have made that may or may not be related to the above problems. Though the idle always stays solid, it tends to fall to around 300-400 RPMs once the car is completely warmed up, regardless of outside air temp.

The water temp gauge also fluctuates depending on outside air temp and whether I use the heat. For example, if it's around 50 degrees out, it will be at about the halfway mark if I am stopped and not running the heater. Then once I start driving on normal roads, the needle will lower by about 1-2 needle widths. If I get on the highway and run the heater it will lower to the 1/4 mark and will only go back to halfway once I come to a stop.