V8 in my supra? Just a couple of questions =)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jzpower

Ok I am not a big WIZ with engines and parts but I sorta have the general idea of them. Here is the deal. I want to put the 1uz-fe engine into my MKIV but I dont have any idea what I need to change or what not to change.

1)My MKIV has the 5spd w58 transmission in it and I was wondering if I had to change it to something else like the R154? Or can i change the bellhousing on my w8 to accomodate the 1uz-fe engine?

2)Also what about the driveshaft? Do i have to get a different one or is my MKIV one ok?

3) What engine mounts do I use? Can I use the TRD ones or do I have to use SC400 engine mounts?

4) Is the swap easy to do or is it difficult =)?

and any other information would be great!

Sorry again about these general questions, I just get confused when I read other threads with all of the technical mechanical words being used. Thanks guys and keep the flaming to a minimal =P.

Brendan

jzpower said:
1)My MKIV has the 5spd w58 transmission in it and I was wondering if I had to change it to something else like the R154? Or can i change the bellhousing on my w8 to accomodate the 1uz-fe engine?
Since your car has a 5 speed already. I think if you want the R154 all you need would be transmission and special bellhousing to mate with the 1uzfe. There are two companies have that part.

jzpower said:
2)Also what about the driveshaft? Do i have to get a different one or is my MKIV one ok?
I am not sure if the R154 is longer or shorter then the stock W58, but altering driveshaft is a simple task. However, the stock MKIII drive shaft might work

jzpower said:
3) What engine mounts do I use? Can I use the TRD ones or do I have to use SC400 engine mounts?
Engine mount would be the SC400

jzpower said:
4) Is the swap easy to do or is it difficult =)?
Just stock drop shouldnt be too hard. Pretty much everything would bolt right in. You might need to run a stand alone or special transmission control. Stock 1uzfe ecu would not recognize the 5 speed.

best bet is to stay with the stock w58 that is in your supra and just get a new bellhousing or an adapter plate to use the 1UZ auto bellhousing. I am actually working on a drawing as we speek for an adapter for the W58 tranny to the stock 1UZ bellhousing that will also use a hydraulic release bearing so there is no need for a clutch fork/arm. As long as you have good shifting habits and dont plan on much more then 400 rwtq, it will hold up fine. I have ran a MKIV w58 at close to 550 rwtq with out tomuch problem, but I wouldn't recomend it though. just make sure that you have a good sprung hub clutch disk to keep the shock load off of the input shaft of the tranny. This will allow you to keep the stock driveshaft and tranny mount. One problem with the R154 is going to be shifter location. IIRC, the turbo Soaror's in japan came with a R154 and that should be a direct fit into the MKIV chassis, might even be able to get away with the Soaror drive shaft also.

As for the mounts, you have to use the SC400 mounts unless you want to make new custom mount stands for the motor to use the TRD Supra mounts.

With the correct parts, the swap is pretty much a direct bolt-in, with the exception of the engine managment system as Dave (lextreme) stated.