Standalone ECU Converting IUZ-FE to Wasted Spark

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Benhur

Hi Guys

I am new to this forum and from South Africa. Wow what a lot of interesting info to be found on this site.

I have done various after-market EFI ECU installations on vicious engines installed in Toyota Hilux 4x4 trucks. I am now for the first time getting in a Truck in with a IUZ conversion running on a Microtech ECU. The existing installation is picking up errors with the CAM sensors so we are going to change the setup completely to make it more simplistic with the minimum connections possible. This vehicle is a dedicated off-road toy and the owner takes it to remote areas where the "bush mechanic's” skills are very limited, so I want to get the setup as easy to work on as possible.

My favourite aftermarket ECU is a locally manufactured one called Dicktator (www.dicktator.co.za)
I am going to install a Dicktator ECU on this truck (the Microtech will be removed)
The crank pickup will be replaced with a 36-1 wheel. The Dicktator-V8 box will be connected to the OE Toyota crank sensor via its own dedicated screened wired running straight from the ECU. As a matter of fact I am rewiring the complete engine loom as the existing one is already badly cut and hacked when the Microtech was installed.

I believe it is easier, neater and more reliable to start a new loom from scratch rather than cutting and joining many wires with colour changes in a single circuit etc.

The ignition circuit will also be changed from its current form, i.e. we will use the 4 channel ignition output signals from the Dicktator ECU to run a wasted spark setup, getting rid of the existing twin distributor setup all together.
I have seen on this forum where someone else (motoriderbc)used 2 MSD coils from a Ford (http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5326&page=14&p=94528) in his setup. I like this idea a lot except I can find any place locally to make me the Custom HT leads he used.

The other option would be to use a CoP setup. This is where my question comes in. What coils can I use that will be a perfect fit to the plug space in the head of the 1UZ that will seal the hole properly watertight. There are local performance shops that can get me any model of MSD or Accel coil I want but they do not keep sample stock so I can’t go and find the correct model. I hope someone here has done such a setup before and can maybe provide me with a model of coil and perhaps some pics of the installation.

Thanks

Attachments

• a.JPG
    a.JPG
    222.1 KB · Views: 474
  • b.JPG
    b.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 459
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 465
  • d.JPG
    d.JPG
    242.6 KB · Views: 461
  • e.jpg
    e.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 38
  • f.JPG
    f.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 459
  • g.jpg
    g.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 459
  • h.jpg
    h.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 452
I think Tundra coils will come very close to a perfect fit, and so will Porsche Turbo Cayenne. And the Porsche (Beru) coils are half the price of the Toyota if you buy them from Beru, not Porsche!

For the Porsche coils, IIRC, you'll have to remove the steel EMI shields, and they'll require just a bit of turning down to fit in the plug tubes. Then you may have to find some custom o-rings to give the coil a good seat against the top of the plug tube.

Hi

The owner decided he likes the idea of the 2 MSD coils so he ordered a pair from the a local MSD agent.

We were lucky in that there are quite a few local EMU manufactures making kits for IUZ management as these motors are quite popular for conversions into all types of 4x4 trucks, so I could pick up an off the shelf lazer cut 36-1 trigger wheel to replace the OE 12 tooth one on the crank. It only cost me R 150 (US$20). We simply took off the crank pulley, out with the old trigger wheel, in with the new, refitted the pulley and that was all there was to it.

My next issue is trying to decipher which cylinders to pair and which channel from the EMU to wire to which coil. My guess 1 and 6, 4 and 7, 5 and 8, 3 and 3 and 5. Am I correct?

Dicktator makes a nice 2 in 4 out igniter for a 4 cyl engine so I will be using 2 of them to switch my coils. We will be pairing two the two output wires per channel together thus using two coil drivers per channel so we will be able to drive those MSD coils for what they are worth. I guess we will be staring with a 2.5ms charge time on the coils and see if we can increase that without heating up the coils. I wonder if it will be worth my while to increase the plug gaps beyond the standard 1.1mm? what do you guys think?

Hi

I could pick up an off the shelf lazer cut 36-1 trigger wheel to replace the OE 12 tooth one on the crank. It only cost me R 150 (US$20). We simply took off the crank pulley, out with the old trigger wheel, in with the new, refitted the pulley and that was all there was to it.

That's a great deal; send some of those up here!

My next issue is trying to decipher which cylinders to pair and which channel from the EMU to wire to which coil. My guess 1 and 6, 4 and 7, 5 and 8, 3 and 3 and 5. Am I correct?

I think you have the right cylinders paired up, except for a couple of typos, but your firing order isn't correct. If we assume the EMS does an ABCDABCDABCD type firing order, then:

A = 1 & 6
B = 8 & 5
C = 4 & 7
D = 3 & 2

Dicktator makes a nice 2 in 4 out igniter for a 4 cyl engine so I will be using 2 of them to switch my coils. We will be pairing two the two output wires per channel together thus using two coil drivers per channel so we will be able to drive those MSD coils for what they are worth. I guess we will be staring with a 2.5ms charge time on the coils and see if we can increase that without heating up the coils.

That sounds in the ballpark, but MSD should be able to give you some guidelines on how much dwell time they recommend vs your system voltage.

I wonder if it will be worth my while to increase the plug gaps beyond the standard 1.1mm? what do you guys think?

I would keep the plug gaps stock for the initial run until you see how it goes, then open them up after. If for some reason you have any misfiring or other anomalies, and you've widened the plug gaps, that'll be the first thing to look at. Try to keep things as close to stock and simple as you can for the first firing of the motor. Less to go wrong.

Hi

Sorry man I never finished this thread with some feedback. Had quite a hectic year behind me.

That's a great deal; send some of those up here!

I bought it from a local EMU manufacturer called Spitronics, but I am sure if you contact them they mey be able to ship some trigger wheels to you guys.

http://www.spitronics.co.za/cms/index.php

Here are some pics and a vidoe clip of this installation.

DSC00347.jpg

DSC00346.jpg

DSC00345.jpg

DSC00344.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnZgQ9KVcGE

In case you guys are wondering about the funny plumbing, the original Idle Stabilizing Valve was sealed off permanently by a previous person so I decided to use a VW ISV (2 wire PWM controlled) instead which works directly off the EMU I used without having to use an interface between the ISV and ECU.

Last edited:
Lexus

Hi Benhur

Great build there. IM a novice and in the process of installing a lexus engine in a e30, and was to do a similar setup to yours.

Just a few questions if you dont mind?

Are those dicktator ignitors the same as TP100 ignitors?
Can 2 opel corsa coil packs be used instead of MSD?

How do you know which ht leads to connect to which coil for the right firing?

thanks
Nick

Hi Nick

Sorry only saw your post now. Yes they are a TP 100 replacement. I am sure you can use whatever coilpack you can make fit.

Firing order as per attached pic.

WastedSparkHTLeadlayout.jpg