cat warning light- noobie

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

OneAngryCactus

Hi all. Recently bought a Z30 series which drove beautifully for the first two weeks of ownership. The cat warning light started to come on intermittently but then more often and now appears a couple of minutes after take off and is constantly on. Yes I have done a lot of searching on the other forums but have gotten mixed feed- from it can be the igniters/coil packs to it is definately the cats themselves. The cats were not glowing as described by some people. The exhaust place said look elsewhere for the problem first, as pulling apart the cats will be an expensive pain etc.

The mechanic, who said he could perform a manual engine diagnostics (but I don't think he could, by what I saw it was only throwing long constant beeps, or none at all), 'thinks' it might be the oxygen sensors. I really don't want to go down the path of elimination to find the problem. As you all know the expense. For the last three weeks I have tried not to drive her- the last thing I want is engine damage. The engine does seem noisier (rattly/ticky) than when i bought it, although maybe coincidence?

Anyone have any solid ideas? Yes i'm a noob (and female, though thats no excuse), no experience with the soarer, though not completely clueless with cars as have been a forum member elsewhere for some years now. Also, any Queensland members who can recommend a mechanic to look after my new baby? Again, couldn't find any recent info on the forums.

It MAY have 02 sensor after cat ?? My Jap import WRX has on sensor either side...
If the cats have blown out ?? The second 02 sensor reads that cat is not working..
If you've driven over speed bumps and hit exhaust / cats ?? Chances are the ceramic contents have broken up ?? Or damaged, restricting exhaust flow..
You say the exhaust is not too hot?? I would say it's blown the centre of cat out ??
Only way to check is to remove this section of exhaust system...

If you hit a cat with your hand and it rattles it's contents have broken up and restricting exhaust ...