Can you pull codes with no engine light on?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

LEXLSC

CAR: 93 LS400 w/ 218K Miles

I basically have a few lights lid up on my dash, but not the engine light. I was wondering if I can still pull codes even though the engine lights is NOT on.
Right now my TRAC light comes on sporadically without any effect on the performance of the car, but its annoying. I think I will try O2 sensors first on this. The light that meassures Coolant Level comes on right after I start the car, maybe 1 minute. I suspect its the sensor since I've filled up the resevoir, cleaned the sensor out and reseted the ecu and still comes on, so I think is this but not certain. The brake light is also one, the one that comes on whenever you have a burnt bulb. I had a burnt bulb ever since I bought the car, but I have changed it already reseted the ECU but still there. The owner manual says to take it to the dealership if this comes on, but whatever.

Cluster Light display:
TRAC = TRAC
Coolant Level = House looking symbol (orange)
Brake light = (( )) in red

If you have any insight in any of this problems and wheter or not I can pull codes without the engine light, please post. I'm at work right now and am very limited to searches. I would search clublexus, but its blocked. :wall: LMK please.

AJ

Hey man I am having a similar problem on my 91' LS. I have no lights whatsoever on startup but after 20 min of driving a TRAC light appears w/ no other lights. I get that light the entire duration until I turn the car off then it takes another 20 min for it to come back on. I also get this wierd "hesitation" at random speeds. It feels like the TRAC control is cutting fuel or something for no apparent reason (there is no loss of traction). I was told it was my faulty line pressure cable, or also called "transmission kick down cable" (both are same cable). I was told by a certified tech that these codes couldnt be pulled? I dont know why but being a OBD1 car it isnt as easy as plugging a hand held and pulling codes. I guess you need to use lead wires and probe around on a diagnostic switch which isunder the hood. Believe me I wish i could get a hand held unit for this kind of car, makes diagnostics cheaper
:smashfreakB: Are you getting the hesitation too?

One thing you might want to consider is that the transmission is tied into a lot of systems. The OBD1 cars will trip a few systems (you'll get more than 1 light) from sometimes only one problem. I was getting my TRAC and check engine and I got 6 codes!! I found the problem and it was the cam sensor (it sawed itself thru from the timing belt) but one problem for 6 codes and 2 dash lights. I know the TRAC is tied into the ABS so that might be the reason why you're seeing the brake light w/ the TRAC light. Lemme know if you found out anything. lots of luck!

dumb question but how is your brake fluid level
if this is low it will bring an error up somewhere

trac and abs are linked

ecu and auto are linked

another thing with replacing brake globes
sometimes if u use cheap globes the resistance is not perfect and the bulb warning light still stays on
this is why they tell u to use genuine globes
or try afew different brands

One thing you might want to consider is that the transmission is tied into a lot of systems. The OBD1 cars will trip a few systems (you'll get more than 1 light) from sometimes only one problem. I was getting my TRAC and check engine and I got 6 codes!! I found the problem and it was the cam sensor (it sawed itself thru from the timing belt) but one problem for 6 codes and 2 dash lights. I know the TRAC is tied into the ABS so that might be the reason why you're seeing the brake light w/ the TRAC light. Lemme know if you found out anything. lots of luck!

Interesting, I pulled the plug on the MAP, and the engine started but died out quickly. I then reinserted the plug, the engine started as usual, but the "check engine" light came on for the first time since I've owned the car in over a year, also the "Traction Control" is now blinking. Any ideas what that means? Strange the "check engine" light would come on simply by disconnecting and reconnecting the MAP plug. The blinking traction control light really has me confused. Btw, the car still runs smoothly but sluggish on acceleration, never gets over 2000 rpms before it hits 70 mph. Fortunately my '95LS has the OBD2 plug, so I'm going to hook up the tool (when I buy one) and report back. Any thoughts?

LS400GUY

u need to either find how to get codes or get soneone with a dagnostic scanner

trying to guess y lights cone on is as hard as u guess how long this piece of string i have in my hand

best thing is remove battery for a minute or 2 and this will erase all codes

then dont touch anything and see if it comes back

if it does find how to get codes for that light

i just sppent 7 grand on a diagnostic scanner so now u understtand y its so fuking expensive to take yr car to get checked at a professional dealer

i have to charge 50 bucks just to plug my scanner in and find out whats wrong if the customer is a stranger hehehhe

get yr odb2 tool but mostcheap ones only do engine not abs and traction and auto

some things are ssssssoooooo bloody hard to solve on here

but reset yr batt and see

there is good ones in usa for aound 500

just do search for obd2 scanners

i looked aa cheapie one for the car and keep my expensive one for shop

otc make some good ones

but make sure they do abs tcm trc

I've found two codes....P0100(MAF sensor cir) & P0110(IAT sensor cir)

Interesting, I pulled the plug on the MAP, and the engine started but died out quickly. I then reinserted the plug, the engine started as usual, but the "check engine" light came on for the first time since I've owned the car in over a year, also the "Traction Control" is now blinking. Any ideas what that means? Strange the "check engine" light would come on simply by disconnecting and reconnecting the MAP plug. The blinking traction control light really has me confused. Btw, the car still runs smoothly but sluggish on acceleration, never gets over 2000 rpms before it hits 70 mph. Fortunately my '95LS has the OBD2 plug, so I'm going to hook up the tool (when I buy one) and report back. Any thoughts?

LS400GUY

Now I will have to do some testing to see what the cause of the sluggishness is, it helps that the codes narrows it down to these 2 areas, any advice or experience with these codes from anyone is most welcomed. Thanks in advance.

LS400GUY