Cam timing

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
WOW that is pretty steep but it's not totally suprising. I thought maybe one of the Japanese tuning companies would something, but obviously not?

Possibilities

im just wondering what some of the posibilities would be if new castings were made.

how is the exhaust cam gear mounted. is it just located by the retaining bolts/dowelpin in the set factory position or is there infact a keyway. would it be possable to have the new cam casting set up with a number of keyways/dowelpin to provide adjustability. if 1 tooth is 8 deg as surgested then if there were 4 keyways set up correctly then there would be adjustment in 2deg incriments.

if this could be used in combination with a vernier cam sproket then once a cam is ground with a certain lift and profile both cams would be adjustable to just about any specs.

would this be correct

400ZED said:
The reason we can not run billet cams is steel cams are only suitable for rollers. we need the self lubricating properties of cast cams
the lobs have to be cast onto the cams in order for the metalurgy properties to be retained after grinding. as they are case hardened.

I wonder if the technology behind billet cams has changed a bit. I am curious because Crower now has billet cams for some toyota engines, and I know several people have had success with them on the 2JZGTE motor. From Crower:

Crower is pleased to introduce it's new line of Toyota 2JZ cams for the late model Supra applications. These are not regrinds of stock cores, but billet cam cores that allow unlimited specifications, while maintaining factory 1.420" base circle.

I wonder if we could do the same for 1/2/3UZ

I am supposed to be getting some billet blanks from the guy i bought my 2UZ motor from. He is still trying to find them in his shop. If he can finally get them to me, I might be sending these to Crower, provided they can do something for me.

Another recent motivation I have is that my recently acquired 1UZvvti motor has one cam lobe with what looks like rust on it. I have no idea how it got there, but even after removing the rust, I don't feel safe running that cam anymore.... so it's either replace with brand new toyota cam, regrind all the originals, or billet/custom grind.

A "billet" can (or anything) is machined from a solid piece of steel, aluminium or whatever.

It is possible you could use a large piece of cast iron and machine it into a cam. The casting has to be of a specific quality to ensure there are no air bubbles in the steel (quite common in cast) which would affect the wear properties of the cam. The other problem is there is a huge amount of material to machine away, and machine time = money.

The base material Crower use will be a specific grade of steel that suited camshafts then would be treated after grinding.

The problem is not the material of the cam but the material of the valve shims.

You could machine a billet cam out of wood, plastic or titanium. None would work but they could look good.

The Toyota shims are unable to run against a billet cam.

If you think about the wiping forces placed on a shim you can see at some point the oil cover will become perilously thin and may even fail to protect the shim. The cast cams have the ability to carry oil in the pores of the metal to ensure the shim survives.

400ZED and I have looked into the cam problem pretty closely and our best bet is to have someone cast and machine cams. Kelford in NZ are working on this now (independantly of us!) and expect to have their cams ready in November.

By all means talk with Crower but just make sure you won't destroy your shims with whatever they make.

If you reduce the thickness of your shims (through wear) by 2thou you will end up with a noisy motor and loss of performance.