Broken auto TT differential

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

rdm20fan

Hey guys, I took my TT SC400 to the track last weekend. Rolled up to the start line, light turned green, let the clutch out , and bang.
Car didn't even twitch.
I'm guessing the previous agressiv launches were causing a stress crack to grow.

The diff locked on the starting line. It was fun getting the car off the track, and back to the trailer.
Getting a car with a locked diff. Two tires that won't roll up onto a trailer is a world of fun I hope you guys don't ever have the pleasure to enjoy.
80-image_d962a1f44ac8630ded3bc0ad947ca5ad82fcf2b3.jpg

Here are a few pictures of the carnage.

80-image_e70ec00707cac9b2ca1157a51eaab0ee4dfa9d68.jpg

I've been there before a few times now ;)

My money is on the torsen housing letting go....I've done that even with the AWD turbo 4 cyl. Clutch plate centre will cure your woes, no need for anything more extreme than that.

Sorry to hear it Bob; what's next? A Supra diff or a big Ford rear end?

Thanks Cribbj,
Got and installed the 6-speed rear yesterday. The 3" exhaust it touching the housing on the left side as the 6-speed pumpkin is larger. We are going to try and change that and maybe try another pass at the track this weekend depending on weather.
Track day here in Chicago are coming to a close pretty quick, and a 10 sec pass would really be nice.

I've been there before a few times now ;)

My money is on the torsen housing letting go....I've dIone that even with the AWD turbo 4 cyl. Clutch plate centre will cure your woes, no need for anything more extreme than that.

Thanks Justen,
I might try a few passes on the 6-speed Torsen. The smaller rear did handle a lot of abuse before failing. I actually thought it would have broken sooner.
After it broke I'm surprised it held up as well as it did. It has 3 small tabs holding the ring gear to the carrier, and one of the ears has supports for the worm gears in it making one ear weaker.
I'm pretty sure the 6-speed is the same thing, only larger.
A TRD carrier is the plan for the spring, but the budget just can't handle another $1200+ hit right now.

Have you guys heard anything about the carbonetics?
From what I've read they seem like a great unit, but they list every type of racing except for drag racing.
I assumed that was left out for a reason.
Heard anything?

Carbonetuc clutches are awesome....and pricey. Mates 550rwkw Supra runs one and it's totally streetable. It's a triple from memory. As I said though, pricey at $3500ish AUD

Carbonetics makes an LSD for the Supra. Thats what I was wondering about,not the clutch.
I'm currently running a Quarter Masters twin disc metal clutch. Its driveabilty is ok, but its performance has been great so far.

The Carbonetics LSd lists that it's great for everytype of racing, but they do leave out Drag racing. I was wondering if anyone has used one for drag racig, and how has it held up.

I have read that one of the tech's at Sound Performance is running one, but he is road racing the car, and say he has only taken the car to the track for about 10 passes.

carbonetic%20lsd%20dsg%20performance.jpg