BOOST QUESTIONS-Stock HG and ARP Studs/Tips?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

zenki13.4

Hey guys,

Im pretty new to the 1uz scene but have been building jdm cars/motors for years now. Im currently building a turbo 1uz s13.4 zenki as my drift beater so I dont smash up my ls2 turbo s13.4 zenki. I was planning on keeping it n/a but decided to do a turbo to achieve some cheap power and keep it similar to my other 240sx. I have taken the motor down to just having the heads still on because it was leaking like a siv, thats when I decided to boost it. Im deleting the ps pump and ac and using a remote mount mr2 electric ps pump. Ive done some reading and picked up a set of ARP head studs but didnt purchase a mhg since two stock ones were supplied with my gasket kit. My question is that how much psi can I push through a stock hg on a 1uz with arp studs befor I start getting ballsy pushing it too much and if I should do stiffer springs and retainers, stuff like that? I dont want to rip the engine completly apart and would like to leave the bottom end alone. $ isnt an issue. Im planning on running 7mge injectors, 255 walbro fuel pump, Holset he351cw on flipped ebay tundra headers and tune it with an apexi safc neo. I was also looking at a ms3 standalone, can anyone tell me about what people are saying by grinding off teeth? I read that article a while ago. Ive never had to do anything to an angine with adding a standalone befor or will my safc be sufficient without having any way to adjust timing? I would be extremely happy to achieve between 300-400whp reliably. Any comments/tips will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

For your power goals it would seem the stock head bolts and gaskets (if healthy) should be fine. That said if you are pulling the heads and running the studs I would definitely go with MLS gaskets... cheap insurance against pulling it apart again.

I would get MLS hg for sure if you want 400 whp. I have MLS HGs and new oem head bolts. I shaved the heads flat too. My turbo 1uz dynos a little over 400 whp with 395 wtq. I'm also running the 7mge injectors and may have a set somewhere. I run a walbro 400 pump. The car is a blast to drive .

Yeah I was thinking about getting a mls hg possibly for extra reassurance. It was a running motor when I took it apart so it shouldnt need to be decked. What are you guys running for management? I found a safc for $200 and snapped it up but I can get a pretty descent deal on a ms3 pro. If I can put down 400whp and tq than I would be really happy in a light s13 240sx. I got the car for $200 then sold the racing seats for $350 :p $1400 Collins Performance 1uz ka24de tranny adaptor kit w/ clutch & light weight flywheel, $60 ka24 tranny, $800 for used d2 coilovers and isis multi link suspension, $100 isis 3" to dual 4" catback exhaust, $500 z32 brake upgrade with 5 lug hub $100 front conversion 5x114.3 hubs, $500 1st gen non trac control 1uz pull out, $200 tundra headers, $100 turbo piping. $400 Ebay turbo kit/intercooler/piping/waste gate/bov/fpr ect, everything but turbo, $200 mr2 ps pump, $300 arp studs, $150 timing belt and tensioner kit, $200 full gasket kit, $80 walbro 255, $12 ea new 7mge injectors and $250 Holset He351cw. And $1250 for 10 18x9.5 xxr 522 wheels. Im doing all my fab work myself for turbo piping and am hoping to have it all done and tuned for under 6g.

Last edited: