BMW V12 Project

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Justen,

I'm pretty sure that would buy the complete car, complete spare chassis, all the templates, chassis jig etc etc etc to build a second car. It is for sale but what isn't.

He is an aircraft repairer and an amazing artisan. He has also built an alloy body cobra.

John,
Alloy body is much more in keeping with the original Jag.

Thanks guys; Andy, I was actually scared to ask how much he's got in that body. That type of construction is nearly a lost art these days.

However, if he's halfway reasonable, and he can build "any" body, then let's talk Mangusta!

I'm sure he'd need an original to work from though, wouldn't he? That might be a little tough to come by........

How about BMW NAZCA 1993 powerd by bmw alpina 5.7 v12.
BMW built 3 this one was up for sale september 2011 for 1.1 million dollars owened by The Sultan of Brunei.
BMWNAZCA.jpg

A bit of progress this last year on the V12. Here it is from about a month ago, being assembled finally. First pic is just of the manifolds (really just TB adapters) with the vacuum ports. Those ports will form the basis for a common vacuum manifold in order to get a good signal for the MAP sensor. Second pic shows the TB's mounted and one of the trumpets. The valve covers look pretty rough, but are now at the powder coater getting done in black wrinkle. The builder says he wants to get it on the engine dyno by the end of January. Naturally I had to ask him "January of what year?".

The last pic is a conceptual sketch for a "modern" version of a Ferrari 275 that one of the wizards on a Ferrari forum is doing. This may well be the final resting place for my V12 if he can get it built before we both leave to go meet our maker :) This will be a front engine, rear drive setup, with a rear mounted transaxle similar to my 550 setup. It'll mean coming up with a torque tube arrangement to connect the engine & transaxle, but that shouldn't be a huge issue. I think it's going to be a gorgeous car, and it certainly tics all my boxes.

Attachments

• DSCN0307 (Custom).JPG
    DSCN0307 (Custom).JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN0502 (Custom).JPG
    DSCN0502 (Custom).JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 49
  • M275Final.jpg
    M275Final.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Looking good. Just use a Corvette transaxle and torque tube set up. The BMW is a clean looking engine.

Nice progress!

Which transmission are you going to use? Are you going the 4wd route or rwd?
My eye is fallen on the dodge viper bw t56 unit; only problem is finding a proper bellhousing.
Maybe you're also interested in this type of gearbox?

Nice progress!

Which transmission are you going to use? Are you going the 4wd route or rwd?
My eye is fallen on the dodge viper bw t56 unit; only problem is finding a proper bellhousing.
Maybe you're also interested in this type of gearbox?

Thanks, I have a Porsche G50/52 that was built by California Motorsports and has been strengthened a bit for the application:

Attachments

• DSC02568 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02568 (Medium).JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 33
Well, after 5+ long years, this beemer V12 is finally taking shape, and in fact might be finished this year. This time last year the builder said it was going to be a Christmas present, and of course I had to say "Yeah right, Christmas of what year?"

But the pix below don't lie :)

I'm not happy with the coil mounting and will probably redo the ignition, but I have to say I may actually live long enough to see it run in anger! The builder & I were even joking that one or the other of us would probably croak before the engine was finished :)

Attachments

• DSCN0991 (Custom).JPG
    DSCN0991 (Custom).JPG
    176 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN0994 (Custom).JPG
    DSCN0994 (Custom).JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN0996 (Custom).JPG
    DSCN0996 (Custom).JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN0999 (Custom).JPG
    DSCN0999 (Custom).JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 28
Well done John, It looks great. I think I would just tig up a cover to go over the top with a milled V12 Supra logo on the top to hide the coil packs and the wires.

Not long til Christmas....

Thanks Andy, you're being too kind. I think the coils look butt ugly, but when you have a SOHC motor like this, and really shallow plug wells that are located down next to the exhaust ports there's not too many coil choices other than CNP's or centralised coilpacks and long HT leads.

The guys working on the contemporary 275 FCar (shown in post 266) haven't made much progress, so I'm still looking around for a suitable chassis.

Race Car Replicas recently brought out an interesting looking new car they're calling the GTA, or Apex, and it's certainly better looking than their SLC, but it remains to be seen if a V12 could be shoe horned in there in a North/South configuration. It's being brought out with the intention of powering it with a turbo 4 banger, so getting an NA V12 in there might be a bit of a stretch (literally).

So it's looking more & more like the Supra might be an interesting landing place for this V12. Then it's to figure out what to do with a couple of built 1UZ's and a very high dollar transaxle :)

I think the builder is nearly ready to dyno it with his own EMS (an Electromotive TEC3) and some coilpacks. I'd really like to be there, but am currently serving time over here in China for a few more weeks :)

So if I don't make it back in time, I'll ask him to do a vid with some good SOUND.

(J/K, I do like China, but it's way different than the sand dunes & camels of North Africa)

Another milestone - it looks like a small step, but at least it's bolted up to the dyno, which means the engine is finally mechanically complete enough to run. As long as this has dragged on, I must admit I often wondered if I'd live to see this day.

This is not the "final" configuration of the engine, however. Henry has taken my set of coils off and will run it from a set of his Electromotive coilpacks, plus the valve covers will eventually get pulled off and will be powder coated in wrinkle black, which should set everything else off nicely.

Once he's gotten it sorted running from his TEC3r, he'll take that system off, and Mitch & I will fly in with an AEM Infinity10 (or hopefully by then, a beta version of the Infinity12) and will set that ECU up and run it again.

The TEC3r doesn't have enough I/O to run either the injection or ignition in fully sequential mode, so it'll be batch fire on the injectors and waste spark on the ignition. Henry has been an Electromotive dealer for ages, so although it's limited in its capability, he knows the system in & out, and has any number of maps and setups he can drop into the ECU to get the engine going & tested.

The Infinity10 has enough outputs for full sequential on the injectors, but only waste spark on the ignition. Not a big deal and this will be the fall back ECU if the Infinity12 isn't ready in time. Mitch is one of the beta testers for this ECU

The Infinity12 will have enough outputs to do everything in fully sequential mode, but as yet, it's not on the market even in a beta version.

Anyone want to speculate what it'll make on the dyno? Engine was originally 5.0 liters, but has been punched and stroked to 6.0. It has a set of hot, high lift cams, but little or no head or chamber work. It's also a SOHC 2v engine, so not as optimum a setup for breathing as a DOHC 4v engine.

Attachments

• DSCN1102.jpg
    DSCN1102.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
LS2 will do 400kw with cam and exhaust so I'd suggest it should do more than that ;)

Thanks Justen; knowing what I now know about these motors, I'll be happy with 400kW :) That would be a bit over 89 HP/l, which is in the same league as my 550 Maranello motor, which everyone seems to think is a very highly tuned, temperamental beast, but it doesn't even break 90 HP/l (485/5.5 = 88 BHP/l.)

On the other hand, the new Ferrari F12 engine supposedly does 730/6.3 = 115 BHP/l, so it's a real screamer.

I will say that one of Henry's last V12's that went into an Ultima made around 430 BHP, but that was with lukewarm cams, no dry sump, and a 5.0 liter block. So that's 430/5 = 86 BHP/l.

So if we come in around 89-92 BHP/l, I'll be well satisfied.