Blown head gasket help :)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

drifty325i

Hey fellas, Was at my local track a few weeks back and i think i overheated my gen2 1uz during some huge battles with several M3s/XKRs/GTRs.

Anyway i gave it a short cool down lap but i suspect it was ether to late or not enough to cool it down. I parked the car up and when i returned the car was idling high....weird.

I managed to limp it home without getting it hot again athough it was hard to drive as the engine was idling high or would stall at the lights.

Next day i took off the radiator cap and what do you no...mayo :( not good. Its blown the head gasket for sure but what are the chances the block has weakend? Am i best to get another engine or just the the head gasket replaced? My cousin is a race car mech so it wont cost me anything.

The car still feels like it has full power, it only has 48,000km on it and is a stunner, made 279.4HP at the wheels on the dyno at NZEFI.....So id love to keep it and repair if possible

Thoughts?

Riley

Oh and for your info i was quicker at least 6secs faster around Ruapuna than both XKRs, 2 secs faster than the M3 , 3 secs faster than both R32 GTRs but i was 4 seconds behind the R35 GTR. My time was a 1.39sec

It shouldn't have effected the structural side, my 1UZ has been cooked a heap of times and no blows yet touch wood.

spf_lexus blew the sides out of his a while ago, then just replaced with MLS gaskets and ARP studs, better than new after.

I would reccomend checking your head warpage with a mechanics rule. If your out more than a few thousandths you should re-deck the heads. Most normal valve jobs that do not even see overheating isues include a resurface becaue it's rare to have a perfectly flat head. A second check would be ultraviolet dye testing. When applied to the head surface the blue dye will concentrate on any hairline cracks that you cannot see with the naked eye and checked in a dark room under untraviolet lights. Both of these don't cost too much and will definently help make a repair decision.

Hey when you say "Mayo" do you see white milky very foul smelling coolant? usually this is transmission fluid contamination and may be from a failed internal trans cooler. Does your exhaust have lots of oil/soot coming out? I remember my rear bumper had a nice "spray" of fresh 5w-30, that was my hint.

Just curious but how well can you hand with the big boys? I admire your light BMW platform with 1uz power, must scare some rich supercar owners :p

Last edited:
It shouldn't have effected the structural side, my 1UZ has been cooked a heap of times and no blows yet touch wood.

spf_lexus blew the sides out of his a while ago, then just replaced with MLS gaskets and ARP studs, better than new after.

sweet well fingers crossed your right, i like the sound of upgrading the studs and gaskets to

I would reccomend checking your head warpage with a mechanics rule. If your out more than a few thousandths you should re-deck the heads. Most normal valve jobs that do not even see overheating isues include a resurface becaue it's rare to have a perfectly flat head. A second check would be ultraviolet dye testing. When applied to the head surface the blue dye will concentrate on any hairline cracks that you cannot see with the naked eye and checked in a dark room under untraviolet lights. Both of these don't cost too much and will definently help make a repair decision.

Hey when you say "Mayo" do you see white milky very foul smelling coolant? usually this is transmission fluid contamination and may be from a failed internal trans cooler. Does your exhaust have lots of oil/soot coming out? I remember my rear bumper had a nice "spray" of fresh 5w-30, that was my hint.

Just curious but how well can you hand with the big boys? I admire your light BMW platform with 1uz power, must scare some rich supercar owners :p

Better to be safe than sorry aye, ill get Craig to run the tests you mentioned. God i hope its not terminal.

Its not actually white like mayo, its more brown, more like peanut butter lol. No ive seen no oil/soot come out of the exhaust so fingers crossed its not that.

It more than holds its own with most of the cars at the tracks, any current model non turbo 911s/gt3 it keeps up with/beats around the track, blows current caymen s away.

2 to 3 seconds quicker than any AMG 63/55 Series Mercs around the track, down the straights they are faster but do not lose me.

I cant keep up with the Lotus Exiges supercharged, R35 GTRs, Later turbo 911s and GT3s, Worked/race late model STIs and EVOs. They can brake way later than me and get on the power earlier. They are all a good 2+ seconds faster than me