Basic install; wiring and ECU

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Alley Kat

Hi all, this is my first post beyond an intro. I want to install a 1UZ, and add turbo(s) probably as a second-stage in the evolution of the car.
So I'm researching aftermarket ECU's, thinking to go that way from the start. Looking into Link, Megasquirt, possibly Emerald.

I'm new to efi however. So the basic question is: am I biting off more than I can chew... a mate asked an electrics guru (this guy does troubleshooting for a car manufacturer), he's spooked me by saying it could be a nightmare to wire, needs a Toyota expert, there'll be ABS sensors, could be 4 exhaust sensors per bank, etc etc.
But it seems there's more than a few installs going on with aftermarket ecu's, but most if not all by experience guys. So as a newb is it going to be impossibly difficult to hook up? Whaddya think,

Cheers,
Bill

Custom built pro-street style full chassis with cage. Wiring and everything else from scratch. May use one of the generic looms as a starting point for the wiring.

The wiring isn't really what scares me about a standalone ECU, it's the tuning.

I can run wire all day, but tune something with so little experience, I don't think so.

Tuning would be farmed out, choice of ecu partly depends on local expertise. Also thinking doing that could help to iron out install bugs.
What worries me is the wiring, reading stuff like 'Toyota sensors don't work or are flakey with aftermarket systems' ...

Personally, I wouldn't have ABS on the car. If it's being modified enough that I need an aftermarket ECU, I probably shouldn't drive it in the rain or snow. I'm pretty sure that your aftermarket ECU can get away with 1 (at a collector) or 2 (1 per bank) O2 sensors. You're probably going to have to do something special with the gauges (ie: mechanical gauges) or have an ECU that can program, or be programmed by them.

When you are putting the 1UZ into a car like yours, and running an aftermarket ecu, you can pretty much forget that its a Toyota.

Its just any engine, with a throttle position sensor, injectors, crank/cam sensors, coils, plugs, leads, temp sensor, etc.

If you were trying to use the factory ecu, then thats a slightly different story, or if you were trying to put the 1uz with a factory ecu into a Toyota and keep all the things like ABS, Traction, etc operational, then thats a completely different story.

But putting a 1UZ with a manual trans and an aftermarket ecu into a car that doesn't have things like ABS, traction, etc, it couldn't be more simple.

Peewee, fantastic, thank you. And thanks all. Fears allayed and now looking forward to it.
I guess the mate's mate assumed the factory ecu route. Certainly had me spooked, easily done as a carb clockwork luddite used to old school bikes, this is a big jump for me.

What peewee said is 100% spot on. It is just another engine as soon as you rip it from the body of whatever car you choose. You will lose the rat's nest of wiring. There are very few things needed for EFI; injectors, throttle body, CLT, AIT, MAP or MAF (pick your poison here), some type of crank wheel sensor aftermarket or stock, ignition coils and that is pretty much it for a dedicated race engine. If anybody sees anything missing from my list speak up.

piss easy as long as u run a manual gbox

or an old style hydaulic auto

any electric auto needs special ways of getting it to change gears

Supra box acquired, now on the hunt for a donor car, and solutions for adapting the box to the Lex motor. Downside is the chassis guy is busy till next Easter, so won't get that till later next year....