Any electrical reason to not choose 3UZ?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Jesus-Ninja

A 3UZ has become available to me, and I'm considering using this instead of sourcing a 1UZ.

I'm aware of the differences in internals across the early 1UZ, later 1UZ and then of course VVTi on the latest 1UZ and 3UZ.

I'm almost certainly not going to go forced induction, so later 1UZ is a possibility, and the lighter internals should help a late 1UZ or 3UZ to rev more freely.

However, I'm aware that as you progress through the engines from early to later, there is potentially more in the way of issues around immobilisers, removing auto boxes without upsetting the ECU etc.

Is a 3UZ going to present more of a wiring challenge than, say, a VVTi 1UZ?

As and aside: I've been discounting the 94 to 97 1UZ, because it is neither as strong as the earlier ones, nor does it have VVTi, but perhaps this is ruling out some decent contenders for my project? As mentioned, the strength of an early 1UZ probably isn't required. Are the electrics going to be any easier on a mid 1UZ compared to a VVTi 1UZ or 3UZ? I know that at 94 they started putting immobiliser coils in the ignition barrel / key. Anything else?

Thanks!

Cheers, George.

Plan is to source a complete vehicle and cruise around in it for a few months first :D So, aside from the immobiliser, there's no other worries with removing gearbox etc?

the 5speed can be dealt with the same easy way as the 4spd. Maybe 6spd is different, haven't seen one yet.

ls430 runs ecu in the engine bay, don't think it makes big difference

the rest is the same as you'll find in vvti 1uz: power/snow switches , AC idle up, electic load signals are fed through MPX bus rather than activating some on/off ECU pin.

water temp gauge, oil warning light are digital too

Well, the LS430 has gone :(

So, it;s back to trawling ebay for LS400s :)

I've been avoiding 94 to 97, as these are neither stronger internals nor VVTi (worth quite a few horses out of the box). That said, I'm not likely to go forced induction with this. It'll be in something light, and I'll want an engine that'll rev more easily.

Am I being overly dismissive of the 94 to 97 models? Are there any benefits of the 94 - 97 compared to the later 97 onward VVTi?

If one of my customers cant afford the VVti option I prefer the 20 series non Vvti over the early motors as they are generally in better condition and go much nicer than the early engine. They might be lighter but still plenty strong enough for most people.

If one of my customers cant afford the VVti option I prefer the 20 series non Vvti over the early motors as they are generally in better condition and go much nicer than the early engine. They might be lighter but still plenty strong enough for most people.

Are they as tunable (without forced induction)? How easy is it to make up the extra 30BHP that the VVTi has out-of-the-box?

Fully tunable with a aftermarket ECU(not the answer you really wanted was it). The VVti's go far better than the non VVti. I would run a VVti with stock ECU over an early one on aftermarket ECU any day.

Thanks gloverman - actually, it was exactly the nudge I was hoping for :)

VVTi it is. Just got to weigh up whether to go 1UZ VVTi or chance it on a cheap 3UZ (not that there is one at the moment)