Alternator Wiring

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

MaxPower

Just wondering which wire is which for the alternator, the colours i have are...
1) White/Blue (slightly thicker wire)
2) Black/Yellow
3) Green/Yellow

The wiring diagrams in the tech section show the colours for a SC400, my engine is a front sump LS400 and are different colours to what is in that diagram. Is it safe to assume the pin numbers from that diagram are correct regardless of model?? Currently the black/yellow goes to the dash light - i havnt powered it up yet just wired it in and wanted to make sure first.

Gday, mined this thread using the search feature,

i am having trouble with My alternator, it was working when i removed it from My previous falcon, now it is not charging.

i still have my dash cluster playing up so i hope its to do with this?

i can hotwire the lamp from the engine bay and it lights up when i turn on ignition, i dont have power here from the alternator, what are the other wires there for? i have 12volts at the battery connection at the alternator, but i dont know what to check for at the others.
any help would be good(i just cant really see the alternator packing up but i dont know how to check)
thanks Dean

Dean,

Don't take this as gospel.

But I had a simillar problem when I did my conversion.

I found the (I think) thin yellow wire from the alternator needed a 12v feed when the ignition was on.

Mine had not gone on the terminal correctly so re-attaching it solved the problem.

Look carefully at the wiring diagram for the charging circuit and you will see what I mean.

If you need a copy of the circuit I can fax you one or email it to you.

Let me know what suits.

Zuffen said:
Dean,

Don't take this as gospel.

But I had a simillar problem when I did my conversion.

I found the (I think) thin yellow wire from the alternator needed a 12v feed when the ignition was on.

Mine had not gone on the terminal correctly so re-attaching it solved the problem.

Look carefully at the wiring diagram for the charging circuit and you will see what I mean.

If you need a copy of the circuit I can fax you one or email it to you.

Let me know what suits.
right, i have checked the yellow wire, it has power on when ign is on, its for the alt light in the dash, it makes the light come on when it is earthed(like its supposed to from my understanding)
the bigger white wire has constant battery 12V

black with yellow trace is maybe the problem? does this need to go to earth? i think i have chopped off whatever it was connected to in the other car?
any tips here would be great thanks

Dunno what colour wires you have but heres how they should be wired and in brackets the markings that may be on the alternator...

White (S) - Constant 12v feed
Yellow Black (IG) - Hot while key in run pos.
Yellow (L) - Dash Light, one side of the light goes to alt and the other side should be hot with key in run.

Not sure if this can go with this thread - so tell me if i need to move it.

Wired my alt (crown) L - to warning light, S and IG wired together with 7.5fuse on IG and B to the Batt. Seems to be working ok, with it not connected, battery was @ 12v, connected alt up and it went up to 13v.

The only problem i have is the warning alt light is staying on. Does the batt have to get above 13v??.

At what voltage should that light come on/off at?

thanks

the ig means igniton
should not be wired to the battery one
as this can sometimes leave alternator on and make battery go flat

if yellow goes to light
blackyellow goes to ign
whitegoes to battery

if your charge light is on disconnect plug from alt and if it goes out
then yr alt couldbe faulty

about 1 in 10 1uzs i wire up have fukt alts

Attachments

• gt3071.JPG
    gt3071.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 7
shittt thats too much for me to read and think on that link

after wiring over 400 toyotas

they use white or white/blue for supply which is easily gotten off the main batt cable to back of alt

black/yellow or red/blue is always ignition to alt

yellow or yellow/green is always alt light

u should have 12vs at each wire

but the supply and ign is proper 12vs and if earthed it willblow fuse or set fire to yr car hehehe

the alt light wire should be able toearth out and alt light will turn on

its only 3 wires so not to hard to solve

but i have seen about 5 alternators stuffed before the conversion is finished on some 1uzs

Well i finally got around to sorting out the wiring for my alt. I have a charged light that turns off while the batt is charging but this has lead to another problem. As i have very little room in my car (34 ford) i had to move the alt and power steer pump inwards. In doing so i put a smaller pulley on the alt - will this cause the alt to burn out??
At the moment it is charging but does stop. If i give the car a big hit off at the lights this will make the alt charge again. Does anyone know is this a faulty alt or due to the smaller pulley on the alt?