Advise on the Salvage Titled 1998 GS400

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

andy337

Hello, and thank you in advance.

Story:
I bought a Salvage Titled 98 GS400 (VVT-i) in Oct 08 with symptoms (but drivable, just not street legal because I do not have a title to register and buy insurance.)
...I know:theyareontome:...worst mistake to buy a Salvage car without a title.

Symptoms:
-valve knocking noises (good thing, it has no oil leaks)
-one of the pulley in the front was slanted causing the belt to "want to" fly off (see picture)
-ABS, TRAC, A/C are not working
-No NAVI brain to control the tape deck or A/C or Fan speed (only have the touch screen monitor)

Questions:
-I have read about the VTT-i version do not use shim so what is the best route to fix the valve knocking problem? I was told that he did a wrong timing belt to cause the valves to knock.
-Should I buy a new pulley or can I cheat ,using washers, and SHIM the attached point (the area where the pulley is bolted to the engine) to even out the Slatting.
-What is the starting procedure for diagnosing the Electrical problems (ABS, TRAC...)
-Should I spend $300 to $400 for NAV brain that goes inside the Trunk to control the A/C or the Tape deck/Cd Changer?...or can I just buy the non-NAVI fan controller and tape deck to covert it to non-NAVI GS300?

OR, lastly, sell the car for $3,500 to anyone who CAN get a title for it or use it as a PART car.

Thank you so much.

You stated the original owner messed up the timing belt install? If so I would assume you have valve damage, head issues. Your GS is VVT-i and is an interference engine... this means if the timing is thrown off/or T-belt broken, the valves will bottom out on the pistons and cause them to bend/snap. The engine was designed to bend/break the valves if the timing belt broke, in order to save the head as something has to give during this scenario. Valves are cheaper than an entire head or head fix. This could very well be the "knocking" your talking about. It doesn't mean the engine is KO'ed, just means a valve job might be needed.

As for the belt check the fan pulley for alignment and the washers the previous owner installed, i'm guessing for electric conversion? Make sure he shimmed correctly/evenly.

Hope this helps

"Want to" Jump Belt

The belt is shown with one "notch" outside of its normal groove.
I think the 1998 and up GS models come with the Electronic Radiator Fan, so that part was bent down from the wreck or something.

Anymore advises on my First Post?

Thanks