A little help

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

88runnasr5

Alright sorry if im posting in the wrong section just looking for a answer.
I am planning on swapping a 1uz into my 98 4runner. I am wondering what gen motor you would be looking for if doing this swap? I really want to keep obd2 so 96+ is a must for me I know the early models internals are better.

I was also looking into doing a vvti swap as the torque curve would be better I would think for 4wd crowd. I am looking at 300-400hp and same with torque. now im sure some will say 2uz however im trying to keep the rig light.

whatever gen motor I end up going with I would rebuild the internals with stronger parts. I did do light searching however I could not figure out if I could take either the vvti heads and throw them on a early block or if the early internals would fit in the vvti block?
what type of forced induction setups are out there that work good for low tq curve? id take a non vvti setup with a simple supercharger if it would net me a good setup.

I'm a relative nube as well, although one step ahead as I've bought my engine :)

When I started digging I got all the same basics as you - early motors are stronger, later ones lighter internals but weaker, very late ones got VVTi.

I went for the VVTi because, out of the box, as is, it's a better engine than the others. 300BHP is enough for my application, and if I wanted a bit more then the VVTi is probably good for it.

Someone may well correct me, but as I understand it you only really need the strong early internals for more significant power hiikes, and the VVTi internals will possibly be OK for your numbers without a rebuild, and if you do rebuild ,the VVTi heads breathe better.

Just my misguided research though, without any real experience of tuning these!

Not sure how to turn them on? Figure they just worked like the rest of the forums..

So the vvti system looks like they came in the 97-00 ls/sc/gs 400 is there any major differences in the setups? I'm probably going to be looking for a totaled car to get the motor/trans/motor harness/ecu/cluster/and maybe dash harness

88runnasr5,

Your PM's are active.

Anyone can message you.

The later engines are clearly better than the early ones when stock.

The later engine can stand 5-6psi and live well.

Given the price difference and the cost of getting VVTi type power out of an early engine the later ones are a bargain.

Bumping an old thread of mine as I have come into some money an am ready to purchase a starting point.
I was set on a vvti motor with the 5speed auto behind it but have not seen anyone successfully swap a transfer case behind it. If anyone knows a link on the subject post it up.
So unless someone has a viable option for the vvti and 5speed swap usuing the stock ecu, i think i am stuck with finding a 96 donor? My brain is kind of starting to hurt after reading so much info again but how much more does a 2uz weigh? And when did they start vvti?

I will run 1uz-fe vvti + 2UZ transmission behind it this winter. The transmision has a transfer case on it and th whole assembly just bolts on to 1uz; compared to 2uz, the whole kit is way cheaper and it's weight is considerably lower. It's only 4speed though. I will run it with a separate controller

I'm most likely going to go to an atlas transfer case at the same time so not sure if that would work all that great.
What about swapping a a750f behind the uz? Both are 5 speed autos I'm wondering if the uz ecu would control the transmission.