Little help, R154 or W58

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Jake Breyck

i would like some expernaced opionions on this.. im at the point in my project that i need to decide on the tranny i would like to use.

The motor is a 1uz twin turbo, i plan on having no more then 600hp
less then 400hp on a day to day setup.

the R145 can handle a little more power,
the W85 is lighter.

do you all think that the diffrence in power handeling is worth it, or should a good W58 handle my power goals.

btw this is going into an 86 corolla should be about 2000lbs.

Jake,
you WILL kill the W58 with a TT 1UZ - I've heard 300 - 350HP through those maximum, and if you're building a TT you owe it to yourself to over engineer it... I think there's only about 8 - 10kg difference in the weight anyway...

Muzz

1uz with turbo will be make about 500 lbs even with 400 HP. so torqe will be huge. W58 will not hold that stress. I have cut off pics that both trannys (from service manual) and must say r154 have much beff internals. MUCH stronger. so only r154 or v160.

500 ftp/lbs and 400hp makes me smile. looks like ill be ordering up a R154 bellhousing soon. i guess i can search the site for who to order one from its been a wile sence i saw that info.

you will have problems with aftermarket bellhousing if you want use stock mk3 turbo clutch cause stock clutch use "pull" type clutch bearing . stock r154 clutch is pull type so slave clutch cylinder should be from back to front position.

All bellhousings I seen was for push type (slave clutch cylinder mount in front to back position).

Neil Griffiths is almost done with a SC400 with R154 kit. He should be done in few weeks. I have seen some pictures of it. AWESOME!.....

Attachments

• fuelraildiagram.JPG
    fuelraildiagram.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 6