92 sc400. Car starts then boggs down and shuts off

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

tony.anytime

I drove a full day of work then went to go home and the car started, then shut right off. started it again and if i feather the throttle it will stay running but real rough; doing this i managed to get it on the highway and drove it home 30 miles. it bogged down three times during that time but i kept the rpms high, like 4k, and it picked back up. it still starts now but as soon as the idle tries to settle it shuts off. has a new fuel pump. haven't changed the filter yet but is was old when i bought the car this past march. suspect a sensor but which one if so?

sc400 bog down

Found the problem. the plastic cover on the bottom of the intake tubing prior to the throttle body fell off leaving a hole open for extra air to be sucked into in the engine. which is bad for the air flow readings. sealed it off and on the move.

Good catch!

Air coming in "after" the MAF causes all kinds of weird "starving" type behavior because it's trying to run so lean. First thing people think is that it's a fuel problem, next is ignition. Finally, after changing most of the "tuneup" type parts, get a new fuel filter & fuel pump, and their injectors cleaned, they find an air leak as you did.

Hopefully it didn't cost you too much?

It was about to cost me. I already purchased a hig flow fuel pump and was procrastinating on putting it in. This gave me a reason to install it, and started checking the spark. once that those tests were done onto to testing sensors. I finally threw my hands up and took it to a shop with the intent to leave it overnight and the mech found it within 10 minutes compared to a days worth on my part. I was so relieved! only ran me $30 and a full day home with the kids.