1uzfe into ke20 corolla

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

KE20

We have a 1974 KE20 corolla club car in which we have recently killed the engine.

Today I purchased a 1uzfe and auto box which we intend to install into the corolla.

Any advice for the conversion would be appreciated, with particular attention to any nuances we should attend to before installation.(will obviously be replacing timing belt first).

Thanks

Check out all posts by the fles.

He has done a similar swap into (I think) a Sprinter of around the same vintage.

The engine seems to fit well and didn't need any major surgery.

KE20
Here are the most recent trial fits from today. It looks too easy. The front pan clears by a mile, and the engine mounts are almost perfectly aligned (fore/aft) The K member mounts are at the same angle as the block! I just need to do a little (and I mean little) cutting in the tunnel to get the tranny up further in the car.

What will you do with it

What is the intended use for the Corolla? Is that a Dellow bellhousing for the powerglide?

Use

My intentions are to use mine for motorkhanas,sprints and track work.

I think the Flea is going to run the 1/4 mile.

Engine fitting

Excellent pics,

All is looking good for for yours, you are (1/4) miles ahead of me at the moment.
My conversion is still a twinkle in my eye with having to build house (was concreting yesterday, back - sore, skin - sunburned, Head - recovering from you know what ).

How does your tranny compare in size to the toyota tranny ? ,ours appears to be minimally larger than the K50 corolla that we were using previously and if the rear of the engine mounts about where yours appears to be it looks athough we may not have to do much if any tunnel work.

Thats great news about the engine mounts, saves having to manufacture multi-angled mounts.

My only concern for our application is weight distribution( from what I can find on net the engine weighs in about 190kg.) and trying to maintain some handling abilities may be difficult. I suspect it will want to understeer.

Is that bare metal I see in your engine bay?

techo, it is the dellow adapter for the C4. In Australia, apparently the GM trannys come with removable bells. Not here in the States. Here all factory GM's have cast bells. Fords don't. So I went with the Ford.
KE20
Someone had posted the weight of the 1UZ awhile back and I compared it to the weight of a 3TC. The difference wasn't much. I seem to remember about 60-80 lbs. The big difference was the transmission. A T50 is a fraction of the weight of a stock Lexus transmission. The C4 is a little smaller than the Lexus auto as well.
Have you thought about setting the engine back? I know from flying that just a few inches of "arm" length will dramatically change CG when it comes to weight and balance.

that is a KE20 i'm looking at in those pics yeah? awesome install, should be a beast when finished. what diff / rear suspension setup are you using?

why is it that i have a bigger car than nearly everyone on here, but everyone elses engine bays are bigger?? it's just not fair i tells ya.

KE30 in those pics IIRC

and FWIW, all Crowns, as big as they are, have almost the smallest engine bays in the Toyota family.
Its because of the uber comfy suspension they run up front.
Maybe the 240c is like that?

yeah it is, independant double wishbone front end with coils.

the chassis comes in so narrow to make it all fit, and the engine bay is so shallow because of the crossmember.

i've got some thoughts now for a drag car...

Flea,
Have been considering moving it back but to what degree(lot of head scratching happening) Have also considered manufacturing X member and increasing castor a bit to help with balancing. Lots of ???? atm. House first then garage then car. The law has been laid down by 'she who must be obeyed' (quote 'Rumpole')

PRO240C,

Yeah ,

1974 KE20 (soon,?, to be UZE20),Having a look at Daihatsu F10/20 but not decided yet(see above)

Peewee,

Yes power induced oversteer sounds great but you can't use it all the time, have already done extensive mods to susp for old setup , coilovers,shortened struts,adjustable strut tops,cressida control arms, 'custom' strut brace(sounds better than saying I made it myself) 270lb xjs jag rear coils on front. May have to start all over again.

do you need to convert to rack and pinion?
i have a fiat X1/9 rack and linkage that is uber narrow and would be a perfect setup if you want it...?

the only bummer is, you'll need 0.5mm thick, 11mmID brass shims to slot into your steering arm on the struts to take the X1/9 tie rod ends (which are 12mmØ).

steering rack

Thank you for the offer,
I'm still considering the options there but not afraid to modify things if necessary.

After all I don't have to worry about keeping an engineer happy.

I'm sorry but I missed your location, please pm me with it .

Peter.