1UZFE Bottom end questions

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

steveblade_uk

1 How big are the crank shaft thrust bearings, what loads can they handle?

2 Any of the guys running manual conversions had any problems? How long have this motors been running about.

3 This kinda started niggling at me. In an auto set up does the torque converter ever react against the gearbox shaft inline with the crank? ie pushing on the crank. As the drive is transfered via splines longitudinal loads from the transmission must be zero right?

Just wondering if long term a manual conversion may cause problems in this area as we all know the 1uzfe was never intended for us to bolt 5 speed manual's onto and the clutch is going to transfer loads into these bearings, no way round that fact.

Put my mind at rest those of you that are in the know please. I dont want to pull my crank just to find its massively over engineered like the rest of the crank. I hope it is.

Hey Steve,
Many trips to the circuit, a hard time at the drags, plenty of dyno runs and more spirited street driving than i really should and no probs over the last 3 years with the manual. Mostly with 320rwkw but the last 6 months with around 340rwkw and the occassional squirt up to 400rwkw.

The twin plate button clutch has just started to slip so it's given up before the crank even started thinking about wimping out :) Whole bottom end is way way tough.

3 years

Justen, thats good news. I thought maybe Im a few years behind a lot of people in terms of my knowledge of these engines, hence all the question.

By the way your St185 is basicaly what Im aiming to build. I love the car, you realy have built a fantastic one off. How about getting some more vids hosted for us GT8 fans Justen, hell put em DVD ill buy em!

My chassis at the moment is stock but has had 3vzfe engine tranplant with the AWD retained, done by my bro. Its a nice drive but with no room for a turbo add on realy. ( Might have a tinker with NO2 though) Power is limited to a bit above stock but no lag. I just wish it were within my tech ability and funding to go 1UZ and AWD.
Pipe dreams im afraid.

Ps. Are you able to answer any questions concerning my tranplant when im ready? Still building the motor at this point.

Regards Steve.

Steve,

Auto transmissions are not supposed to put thrust onto the crank.

The 2UZ can be purchased in manual form so Toyota has the faith in the thrust washers to put a manual treansmission behind the engine.

Zuffen thats what I thought and the reason I asked the question. You do realise this means more questions now dont you?

Can you put a 2UZ bellhousing on a 1UZ block?
What manual box is OEM on a 2UZ? Has anyone already used this box behind a 1UZ etc the list goes on lol

Maybe we should drop this thread and Ill post questions in the transmission section.

The OEM bell for the 2UZ is a two piece assembly.

The flywheel is huge!. The bell is split at the fly so you bolt on the front then the fly and clutch then the rear of the bell.

It all sounds ugly.

The standard trans is the R154H (I think).

Feel free to bolt up any aftermarket bell and any trans it will work OK.

I'm currently putting a Nissan 5 speed Patrol box behind mine.

Bah should be room for a single turbo in there somewhere Steve :) That's a proj i'd like to tackle with an old knackered GT4 and a 1MZ. I'd try and keep the GT4 transfer case though not the RAV one as i don't think it'd take it.

Feel free with questions but most will be up you really.

I have some good footage so have to pull my finger out one day

I dont know if thats possible Justen, keeping the GT4 transfer that is. Infact I dont know if im running a rav4 transfer or GT4. You see my Bro converted the GT4, I just talked him round to selling it me as I wanted a well sorted chassis to drop my 1UZ into. 3vz/5vz or similar on the GT4 transmission is not easy or even possible as the problem is the transfer case doesn't clear the engine block. Ive no idea about the 1mz though. If you ever decided to have a go at this maybe you should speak to my bro as he has already looked into it. I know he looked at rx300 transfer, GT4, rav4 and mix and match cases and centre diff's in the cases to try and get a workable solution. Many months and lots of wasted £££ in the process. He tells me that Toyota have a new Rav4 for the US market, 3L or 3.5 v6 and 350hp NA in stock form! Now if you could drop that complete with drive train into a GT4 and then go turbo= MUCHO 4WD FUN I think. As for turbo install in the V6 GT4 Ill keep you posted as this is what he wants me to do rather than the 1uz in RWD mode. I just want that V8 power!