1uz turbo build advice needed

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

celicasupra

Hey there Ive got an 86 celica supra running a 1uz, am wanting to get some more power out of it so am going turbo. Single turbo because of engine bay restrictions. Have had an estimate made up by a good tuning shop here in christchurch, and they say if I want to drive in drive out with full conversion done, im looking around $10,000. Sound a little pricy? am already running a link ecu. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

be fairly easy and quick for some one to modify, even if you had to pay some one to modify it, it'd still be less than half that quote you already have.
or you could sell the manifolds and get a custom set up done to keep it a sleeper.

I did a quick workout and can easily get to 10K for a shop to do a professional job. By the time you supply and fit a turbo , intercooler , Blowoff valve , larger injectors , suitable fuel pump , intercooler pipes , oil lines , exhaust manifolds . exhaust front pipe and make it all fit in the engine bay and tune it then it is easy to see where the money would go. I know of guys spending far more than that. Ive never sat down and worked out the full cost of my one , although I did plan it to be turbo in the first place. Different if you can make it all up yourself. I would still expect someone to spend 6K if they did it all themselves with good quality parts. Other things to think about is are your clutch , gearbox , brakes and diff up to the job. Last turbo 1uz I did the owner had started by building a NA vehicle and changed his mind and went turbo. The thing made 247rwkw with the clutch slipping and the tyres loosing traction. He had to upgrade clutch and gearbox as the little W57 wasnt up to the job and the little clutch was blue after a few drives. Starting with new parts is often cheaper in the long run too and gives a far better result than modifying secondhand used stuff. Cheers

thanks for the response so far, keeping in mind what the end cost could rack up to be, and that the car cost me 9g to buy, does the 1uz turbo upgrade seem like a worth while option (to those who have done one)? Or am I better to sell it, put the money from that and the xtra 10g I was going to spend on upgrading it togethor, and buy a GTR or something already making the same power?

People either spend a large amount (much more than originally planned) to have a shop build their car OR they are DIY types that build part by part and LEARN a great deal about the way things work. This learning is a journey that many of us enjoy and find fascinating. Anybody can buy power but only a small percentage actually UNDERSTAND what and why something is done. That said learning never stops and what we THINK is right today may be understood to be just average tomorrow and completely off track next year :)

If you just want the power and have the money then the answer is buy it.
If you want to KNOW what is going on... build it.

People either spend a large amount (much more than originally planned) to have a shop build their car OR they are DIY types that build part by part and LEARN a great deal about the way things work. This learning is a journey that many of us enjoy and find fascinating. Anybody can buy power but only a small percentage actually UNDERSTAND what and why something is done. That said learning never stops and what we THINK is right today may be understood to be just average tomorrow and completely off track next year :)

If you just want the power and have the money then the answer is buy it.
If you want to KNOW what is going on... build it.

Could not have been better stated than that, John!:D

Ryan