1UZ into a '75 Corolla

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

markstoys

My plan is to put the V8, as well as the front and rear suspension from a 92 SC400 into this rust bucket of a Corolla I bought last year. I want a car that can be driven daily on the street, which means the A/C, heat(you'll see in a minute), stereo will work, it will have a full interior, decent ride quality, not too low, or too loud, etc.--but I want as much HP as the stock internals of a 1UZ will handle. If I do it right I will have a 2500 lb car with 500 hp at the wheels.

You can see how impressed my wife was with my purchase. It was a complete 1975 Corolla, which came with a bunch of extra parts. It wasn't running, but with a couple of parts I had lying around and about 2 hours I got it fired up.
PICT0027.jpg

Here's what I had 2 weeks later

PICT0015-1.jpg

My original plan was to simply repair the rust and stick with the stock Corolla motor. However, the rust was more extensive than I thought--this is the drivers side floor, which is typical of the condition of the lower portion of the car.
PICT0035.jpg

Considering how much work it would be to take care of the rust properly (lots of cutting and welding), I figured I'd swap in something cool. While looking for a 1UZ (the natural choice for a high HP swap) I found a complete SC400 for only $700. The interior was completely burned out, but all the mechanical was fine. So now I have a drivetrain, although I will use an r154 instead of the auto trans. I guess double A arms up front and independent rear will be pretty cool.
PICT0022.jpg

Here are the leftovers. Did you know that an SC400 body weighs almost exactly 1400 lbs? I got $70 at the scrap yard. Plus another $50 for the cats.

leftovers.jpg

And after lurking around here for a little while, I realized that I really needed an Eaton m112. Thank God for ebay!

PICT0028-2.jpg

Now, I know I'm not the first nutjob to cram a V8 into one of these, but I am doing it a little differently. I still want a decent front/rear weight distribution and great handling--so this motor will sit back just a little farther than any other swap I've seen. While you can fit a V8 into the engine bay without cutting anything, mine is set back so the #1 spark plug is just behind the center line of the front wheels, which is about 1 inch farther back (relative to the front wheels) than it did in the Lexus.

PICT0041-1.jpg

It's not clear in the above shot that the firewall was cut extensively. There will be MAJOR modifications to the under dash area to fit/relocate the heater, A/C, etc. And those tires are just sitting there for mock-up purposes.

Here is where I am now:

PICT0024.jpg

Everything is still in the very early, tentaive, mock-up stage right now. Once I can tell roughly how everything will fit together (it will be months, at least), I will start the actual fabrication.

In spite of all have learned so fr by searching old posts from this forum, I still have about a million questions on a variety of aspects of this project, but I'm only going to post them as I get to them on the car.

Attachments

• 1uzassembly17.JPG
    1uzassembly17.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 1uzassembly18.JPG
    1uzassembly18.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 24
Looks like a great project.....and doable! How much are you cutting out of the track width and can you run FWD offset wheels to make up some of the clearance needs of the Corolla chassis width? I really like the project and the fact that you skate past emissions by grandfathering out with a '75.

How much are you cutting out of the track width and can you run FWD offset wheels to make up some of the clearance needs of the Corolla chassis width? I really like the project and the fact that you skate past emissions by grandfathering out with a '75.

Out of all the people I've talked to about this project over the last few months and you are the first person who has asked that! So far I've taken 6 inches out of the front track. I would like to take 2 or 3 more--so I can run wheels with a little bit of lip on them--but I don't think that would work. The wheels/tires that came on the Lexus(which I think are spares because I've never seen an SC400 with these cheap looking steel wheels) pretty much have a FWD offset (they are 16 X 7 with around 5.5 inches of backspace) so that is what I'll probably end up using. I haven't got to the rear yet, but I'm hoping to take 8-12 inches out--because I really want some lip in the back.

And I paid quite a bit exta for my Corolla because it is a '75. The later years look exactly the same, and I've seen them in much better shape for less than what I paid--but I don't want to deal with smog on this car.

Mark

Out of all the people I've talked to about this project over the last few months and you are the first person who has asked that! So far I've taken 6 inches out of the front track. I would like to take 2 or 3 more--so I can run wheels with a little bit of lip on them--but I don't think that would work. The wheels/tires that came on the Lexus(which I think are spares because I've never seen an SC400 with these cheap looking steel wheels) pretty much have a FWD offset (they are 16 X 7 with around 5.5 inches of backspace) so that is what I'll probably end up using. I haven't got to the rear yet, but I'm hoping to take 8-12 inches out--because I really want some lip in the back.

And I paid quite a bit exta for my Corolla because it is a '75. The later years look exactly the same, and I've seen them in much better shape for less than what I paid--but I don't want to deal with smog on this car.

Mark

I have been getting intimate with exploring adapting other suspensions to my Celica and the track and geometry problems (.....and I've got a Z31 turbo t-shirt to prove it.....:) ). 12" was my guess as the difference in track in your case and that might push your upper control arm pivots within cooking distance of the exhaust manifolds on a TE37 Corolla. GSMNOW is doing a LS400 1UZFE swap in a '83 Celica and said there was a huge diff in track of that vehicle and the RA65C '83 GTS Celica. He kept the Celica front suspension and xmember. IIRC, the 3rd Gen Celica is at least 2" wider than a 1st Gen Corolla, so unless you are planning on a full Veilside Body Kit...........:)

Money well spent on getting the '75 in Cali. You are wide open on what you can do. I can't explain why I did not roll mine next to the trash cans on garbage day and start with an exempt platform.....maybe way too much time invested in her and way too many memories...

lol.. i never saw what was so fantastic about his car.. i mean.. look at it.. it's torn to bits!
lol
i've been trying to post pics of my build.. or rather my gathering of parts.. i'm getting way too excited about this build

just in case you didnt pick up on the sarcasm.. i like your car
and i like what you're doing to it.
i'm building a te27 with the ls400 1uz
you definately beat me to the pics and stuff!
i'll have my project thread started as soon as i get the bell housing
from there it gets VERY interesting hopefully:D
later man!
cant wait to see more!