1UZ into 2WD Hilux

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Flylux

Hi all,

After a long time watching this site and reading almost everything posted, I'm starting to get serious about starting my project. Firstly, what a fantastic forum, well done to everyone involved.
I plan to put a 1UZ with auto into a Hilux 2WD, similar to what Sideshow has done and I have some questions.
Since I plan to use the standard auto that comes with the 1UZ, does it matter what 1/2 cut I buy? The crown is the cheapest to buy but has the wrong sump, should I buy the crown cut and modify/swap the sump or should I get a cut with the correct sump config? Are there any ECU concerns when keeping the auto?
Sideshow, what clearance is there between the top of the engine and the bonnet? I am trying to determine if there is enough space to do a Jordy's M90 conversion without modifying the bonnet. Did you have to modify your firewall for our conversion?

Cheers,

Flylux

If you are going supercharger you will probably looking at aftermarket managment if so then electrics wise it does not matter which half cut you use.
the crown half cut has the slip yoke which makes the tailsaft cheaper $400 or so unless you want to use a two piece.
i have had both boxes as the first fell in half. i then went to crown auto if you go soarer you can get the rear yoke machiened and adapt a uni with male spline to it then the rear section of the tailshaft has a uni at rear and a female psline at the front but this all cost $700. if i was to use a soarer box again i would use a two piece shaft. if you can find one i had one as my motor came out of an australian wreck it came with the complete shaft.
for a crown you get a one piece made cost me $150 and is lighter than the tailshaft i had behind my soarer box.

In closing get the crown gearbox a crown box would cost about the same as a sump modification $200 or so cheaper than a difficult tailshaft.

If you are keeping standard computer people know more about the crown than the soarer Venom in brisbane will do an exchange wirring loom that will run the auto and engine without a hitch for $1200 might sound expensive but it will work and give you no hassel a lot of r&d have gone ito it and it works. cheap in the long run.

if you are running aftermarket computer go to richardson motorsport in canberra and get a autronic he will set you up with a map and the how to wire it up you need. for around $1600
or run wolf i have a 1uz running wolf and can get a copy of the map.

Do not under any circumstances use factory lexus or crown engine mounts find something else these are dam expensive to change.

before you install the engine change thermostat $40 timing Belt$80 oil and filter of cource. and i have heard people changing waterpumps not a bad idea i did not do it because i was not on this site and did not know.

other difference is (not 100% sure on this) soarers have the hydralic fan and crowns have electric thermo fans. both are good i like my hydralic fan although it is 480mm might not fit on your radiator but does pull a hell of a lot of air. hydralic fan is a pull fan and is 80mm thick so if room is a problem go electric or be bothered to mess around with the hydralic and fit new blades make it a push and mount in infront of the radiator. The soarer motor hydralic pump can be gutted and made into an idler if you want a soarer with electic thermos.

in closing again i wish i had rear that when i started could have saved lots of time and money and thinking. buy a crown and try and find a soarer sump. if you plan to goFI later buy a aftermarket computer and a auto controller from kdog on this site or Mv automatics in adelaide. if you are planning running Na without cams or individual throttles or what not send your loom to venom fabrications in queensland and do the exchange loom thing.

good luck have fun get a shift kit and torque converter for bags of fun. hehehe

Nb this is only my opinion more than one way to skin a cat. i have a running 1UZ in a 260Z that i did mostly on my own. but am by no means a Guru.

what year is you hilux?

400ZED,

Thanks for the info. I haven't got the hilux yet although have been looking for a while, hard to come by in the spec I want, 89-94 2wd extra cab auto. I plan on keeping the standard ECU at least to start with so it seems that the Crown cut is definately the one to go for. The loom you mention from venom does sound pricey but it seems that the electrics seem to be the biggest hurdle mentioned by people doing conversions, maybe I should consider it. Do you have a phone number for venom?
Spoke to the engineer yesterday, conversion shouldn't be much of a problem to certify, just have to run std ECU and cats, otherwise fairly straight forward - glad to hear it.
Can you run the standard auto ECU with a shift-kit and modded torque convertor?

Thanks again for the advice. I'm looking forward to the challenge and then the fun!

yeh you can run standard ecu and shift kit and torque converter there are people doing it in stock soarers. i reckon venom loom would be the way to go i would pay the money i reckon if you looked back it would seem dam cheap 0732083224 also he is not bad for parts. expensive in the short term but in the long run the only option other than aftermarket ecu IMO. talk to richardson motorsport about their autronic programmed ready to go
anyway good luck

to run the standard ecu in the crown is alot of work

u will need up to 500 dollars worth of sensors to get the

auto and speedo to do things properly

remember the speedo is electric in my 92 hilux

so u need a signal changer to get the correct pulses so yr speedo reads right

then u need to fix the abs signal to the auto

i have fukt 2 cats cause i didnt have that signal
i think in limp mode made it run lean and get cats too hot and they melted

so u then need another signal thingy for that

the engine ecu and the auto ecu both talk to eachother

so its like havin to wire up 2 1/2 computers

non of the body work was modified in my hilux

the crown gbox bolted in same spot

u just need to change the spline/yolk in the fornt of the tailshaft
length is perfect

i used hilux rubber mounts and made new steel brackets from rubber mount to 1uz block out of cardboard and then copied them with steel ones

i have been doin conversions for 8 yrs so i did it properly

made the enigne 5mm too hi so it would sag

u also have to modify the handbrake thingy that sticks out in the firewall

and modify yr radiator

and move yr battery

then it cost me bout 100 to hook up power steer

and 500 to get all the a/c hoses and new reciever dryer fitted

my a/c is awsome andheating is better than orig

my ute is goin in for a new paint job and signwriting

soon i hope to have all the wiring organised and everything hidden as best i can as it looks bit messy under glovebox and left hand kick panel

but this is due to me still doing testing

i sell all electronic devices for yr speedo and abs

and i sell small oil filters that fit in the tight spot when u use a crown engine

do venom supply the electronic devices for yr speedo and tacho

as these will not work or not be accurate for yr dash

i know what is needed

i can do the wiring for u

i prefer to do it on the car so i dont know if u would pay for me to fly down there

running the auto properly is a pain in the ass as i have found out
and by buying a loom premaid i cannot see how it would work 100%

unless u run auto ecu engine ecu and abs ecu

anyway if u r willing to pay for me to come down there as i am from sydney to wire it all up then i can come down

give me a call on 0415 904 947 and i will tell u what bits u need and what they do
and if u want me to come down there and do the wiring i can give u a price on that too

my price is reasonable they only thing that blows the priceout abit is the signal sensors and tacho signal amplifiers parts

but if u call me ill tell u what u mihgt need

Thanks Sideshow,

When the time comes I will be in touch. Don't know about flying you down but will keep in mind the gear for the abs and speedo, sounds like you know your stuff with the hilux's. Glad to hear that the trans mounts up to the same spot!

Post some pics once it's painted!

Venon do supply all ecectronic divices, I.E speedo offset box
Venom has done many looms i didn't use one but i am told by him it is ready to go. from personel experience his after sales service is the best i have found. do a search on the web venom fabrication you will find him there check out his work.
after reading slideshow's writup it sounds like the way i am going next time.

i can do the wiring for u

i want to get into makin plug in looms

its hard to make it look perfect but to do a very nice
job u can give me measurements on where u want fusebox
relays fitted etc

i can extend the auto ecu wiring so u can fit it under the seat if u want

hopefully in few months ill have cheaper sensors for the speedo
tacho and abs

so if u do go looking for a loom get intouch with me and ill give u a quote
with all the correct sensors fitted