1UZ in Volvo 245

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

JKav

From what I can determine, this swap has been done in Aus/NZ at least a few times... here in the US the 1UZ is barely discovered. Great site here, so I'm hoping there's help available.

Really just the standard 1UZ swap questions, as they pertain to a late '80s Volvo 245:
1. major sticking points / areas of interference;
2. is a rear sump 1UZ compatible with the stock engine cradle;
3. which (manual) trans can/cannot be readily used in the Volvo;
4. other required parts to make it work;
5. electrical/ECU/wiring "gotchas"...

Trying to avoid reinventing the wheel I suppose.

Thanks gents

JKav:

I have not seen this swap done personally, but I have been around friends with Volvo's for longer than I care to remember and we have coverted these cars with all sorts of engines, Chevy SB/Ford SB/BMW straight six ( small/large and diesel ), Audi 5 cylinder, the Volvo straight six from the 960 series so the engine bay can swollow most engines.

1 and 2. Get a SC400 engine, it is a "rear" sump. We have measured this up before both for the 240 series and the 700/900 series cars, the 240 will be a tight fit but it should work out. The 700/900 is heaps easier as the crossmember is further forward compared to the 240.

3. To do an easy swap get a bellhousing from Castlemain Rod Shop or Dellows and a Supra gearbox ( R154 og W58 ), if you can fabricate yourself the auto bellhousing can be adapted to fit almost any gearbox.

4. This one will be optional, but neverteless, rear differential. The Volvo 240/700 series is using a Dana 30 based diff and I'd recomend a TrueTrac as the stock LSD's do not take kindly abuse at all. Important, Volvo use a [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"3.73+" LSD for all it's ratios.

Have fun....

[/font]

Thanks autronic, from your measurements do you recall/foresee other (potential) fitment issues-- extractors, steering shaft, engine accessories etc. Would you be able to guess whether the stock 1UZ sump could be retained intact.

Looks like a W58 with Dellow bellhousing is the perfect gearbox for a Volvo 240 with 1UZ:
http://wwwrsphysse.anu.edu.au/~amh110/supra_in_volvo.htm

Hello
Sorry about the old thread resurrection but I decided instead of adding a whole new thread about the Volvo 240 I might as well add the information here to keep things nice and tidy. I've been reading through this forum for a while now and I'm very impressed with the level of know how and the number of people willing to help. I'm slowly warming up to the idea of installing a 1UZFE into an 89 volvo 240 sedan. Since I live in California I'll have to start out with a complete donor car. I want to keep the automatic transmission engine and electronics together as one complete swap to make things easier on myself. Maybe even use the Lexus instrument cluster if thats possible. I'm not looking to go fast. Just less slow would be fine by me. This shouldn't be too hard in the 3000lb 240. But thats not why I'm posting. I just wanted to add this article for everyone's enjoyment.
1uz1.jpg1uz2.jpg
This is the inspiration for my future project which will hopefully begin early next year. The 89 240GL is in mind condition with all the goodies I could want (leather, AC not working, sunroof, power everything and excelent looking dark blue paint) but with 114 screaming hp being squeezed though state of the art non lockup AW70 transmission, its just too damn slow. Fuel economy is in the very low 20s even with an electric fan swap and a few other tricks. I thought about doing the 5 speed swap but its almost as involve as the V8. No joke. A turbo would be nice if it was smog legal not and didn't burn even more fuel.

And just so you don't feel like you read all this for nothing, here's the reward. Get it while its hot.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/car/213274432.html

Thanks for reading and keep up the great swaps.

Attachments

• 1uz1.jpg
    1uz1.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 0