1UZ-FE VVT-i into Hilux

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

bskati

Hello
My name is Baldur and I live in Iceland. I have a 2003 Toyota Hilux with the stock 2KD-FTV engine and the stock R151F manual transmission.

I have modified the Hilux alot; long travel suspension with bilsteins coilovers front and rear, tacoma rear axle, custom wishbones at front, 38 inch tires, arb lockers etc. Here is a picture:

382284_10151636422540432_331375738_n.jpg

It is build for snow driving.

I am planing to swap a late version 1UZ-FE VVT-i into the Hilux, the engine would come out of a GS400, but I'm not sure that transmission combo to use. The options I see at the moment are:

1. use the standard Hilux R151F manual transmission and transfer case. This would give me good gearing for the snow. I have heard about problems to run the engine without the standard transmission, can anyone inform me about that?

2. use the standard GS400 A650 auto transmission and mix a transfer case on it. I am a bit afraid about the torque converter and gear ratios, has anyone used this combo for offroad, snow and crawling? Does anyone know if it is possible to fit a transfer case to the A650 transmission with out having to build an adapter?

thanks
Baldur

1) VVi engine runs fine without the auto box. I have a video of them running on my facebook page. We also have direct bolt on bells for the R151F. We presently have a KUN16 hilux 2wd in pieces with a 3uz VVti in the workshop(getting aftermarket). photos will go up of this one when its finished.
2) A650 auto works really well off road. good gear ratios. We are presently modifiying one to get a sharper shift in the gears and allow switchable lockup in all gears. The ones I have done have all needed a modified adaptor to make it work. Search Vcross and all this has been covered.