1UZ-FE vs. 1UZ-FE VVTI

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Thats pretty much what I was intending to do. But of course I will run the original prop first just to see what happens for comparison sake.

After market ecu, so I plan to play around a bit, both asis and vvti will not be variable, but either on or of depending on the rpm i type into the ecu software. I know that its probably not as good as the facory motor but we will see. I read some where that the asis starts @ 2500 rpm and is fully open at 4500??. I could be wrong. If I cannot get the prior speed, I dont care, as long as it reliable, reliable, reliable!.
I am sick of Ford and Holdan (GM) god dam sh#@.

If it doesnt get on the plane, ill stick another bastered in there.

PK

1uz vvti

i am putting a 1uz vvti in a boat
i am having same probs with ecu looks like i will have to use motec $$$$$$
i have been exploring different options piggy back
the latest is to get a factory ecu copy vvti settings into motec m800
its looking promising

the intake manifold from early 1uz to the vvti will not fit
ive been told that the exhaust manifolds will interchange

I talked with someone a while back about running a 4 banger VVTi motor with an Electromotive TEC II. The ECU didn't have the control needed to adjust the VVTi oil control valves to adjust the timing over the huge range that the factory ECU could. The idea they came up with was to modify the VVTi actuator to limit it's range of motion. In factory trim some of them can swing more than 40 crank degrees. By adding some screws you cam limit it to 12 degrees or so and then just slam it full advance at low rpm and full retard at high rpm. The MOTED has alot more powewr so it should be able to do it right. I never actually did it myself but the theory sopunds workable. Certainly not as good as proportional timing control, but with a dumb ECU....

Gary M.

just remember
i have talked to afew people about this anmd aslo a guy who tried to tune
a vvti engine with aftermarket ecu

its a pain in the arse

because it also depends on oil pressure

so as revs go up and oil pressure goes up it changes the cam position even without changing the setting on the ecu

well this is what i was told by the tuner

so this is just another thing to think about b4 u start

Hey,

You may wish to to purchase a factory marine ecu from Karren @ Ski Masters water sports in Wasington.
0011 1425 481 2754
or [email protected]

Just tell her that Paul passed on the contact.
Thats where I am buying the marine alternator from.

The vvti engine was used in the Toyota Epic ski boat in the US.
I would have bought one but I have now gone to far with the Micri tech.
You will have to allow at least a couple of grand US I think, but it will run it just like the factory one.
You can buy the complete engine harness as well I think plus other pasts.
I have the Epic work shop manual here.

Its upto you.

Paul

Peter,

Don't forget to check if it can handle the Eaton.

Last thing you want is to spend a couple of grand and not be able to use it.

PM JBrady about the VVTi as he knows plenty and may be able to suggest a way around your problem that won't cost you heaps.

1uz vvti

Rod
i think it will be expansive and it wont handle the m112 on its own but today i found a factory vvti ecm for $350 so i bought it
i am going to piggy back it to the motec and log the cam settings then we can adjust the cams if required

peter

Andrew,

It's not just the angle.

The ports are a different shape as well.

The VVTi ports are much bigger. I had a good look at Peter's manifold and there's no way it will go near a 1UZ-FE

toyotav8boat said:
Rod
i think it will be expansive and it wont handle the m112 on its own but today i found a factory vvti ecm for $350 so i bought it
i am going to piggy back it to the motec and log the cam settings then we can adjust the cams if required

peter
Could you post the results here as to when and what the cames do after you have logged it.
Cheers,
Steve

Using the stock ECU virtually forces you to run the stock trans, ABS, traction control, and the transponder key system. Probably alot of other things as well. I am using an 1993 1UZ specifically because I wanted a much simpler wiring setup, and it is still alot to deal with. An aftermarket ECU is far easier to wire and get running, but it takes alot of patience to program it to run anywhere near as smooth as a stock ECU.

I have not personally opened up a VVTi actualtor, but looking at the pictures and diagrams, it seems like it would be a simple matter to drill a couple holes and pin it at a fixed timing so it would run just like non-VVTi so it would work with a simpler ECU.

Gary M.

Using the stock ECU virtually forces you to run the stock trans, ABS, traction control, and the transponder key system. Probably alot of other things as well. I am using an 1993 1UZ specifically because I wanted a much simpler wiring setup, and it is still alot to deal with. An aftermarket ECU is far easier to wire and get running, but it takes alot of patience to program it to run anywhere near as smooth as a stock ECU.

I have not personally opened up a VVTi actualtor, but looking at the pictures and diagrams, it seems like it would be a simple matter to drill a couple holes and pin it at a fixed timing so it would run just like non-VVTi so it would work with a simpler ECU.

Gary M.

How hard would it be to make the ECU think all that stuff is working? I have a locksmith friend who could probably handle the transponder parts, but as for the rest? I guess you would have to make it think it's in drive all the time...and somehow get rid of ABS and traction control with some resistors or something...