1U into HILUX 2WD.....

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

SANCHEZ

(I did a search but found nothing specifically relevant)
Hey guys,

Just started the conversion for the 1u into the 2wd hilux, anybody have any pointers on what mounts to use, how far back to go, any special requirements, any helpful hints??

Anything that specifically (besides the mounts and extractors) that need customising?

cheeers

I am also doing that same swap. Mine is a SC400 engine in a 84 4Runner on a 2WD short bed frame. I have all the parts but have not taken the engine out as of yet. I have also looked but didnt seem to find anything really relevent to this particular swap. I will be running the Auto in mine so the electronics are simpler. I also have a 04 Cobra M112 Eaton waiting for later. Good luck with yours.

Cary

Thanks guys,

I did do a search, however nothing specific came up , as previously mentioned. I cma up with a few people that had done the conversion , they didnt say what problems they had run into etc...

Supercharging the 1u, good horsepower, good price.......

Im using a supra 5 speed, and microtech, should be fun.....

just goto my website link below

i have done it to my hilux

give me a call if u need any info regarding mounts and stuff

i also sell tiny oil filters for the 1uz saves runnin remote filter

when fitting them to hiluxs

G,day Sanchez, my 98 xtra cab is 2wd, I started a thread, will update in next few weeks, motor goes in engine bay next weekend so might be able to help

I am using the auto, my ute is allready auto and is the same a34* type so tailshaft ,shifter and rear mount is the same, just have to fab engine mounts and prob get rear sump from crs, a/c & power steer pump are opposite sides to 4cl so piping will all have to be altered, pretty basic stuff, hardest thing is wiring which is easier 4 me because my lux is allready EFI ,the wiring diags on this sight are really hand and make it so much easier, my motor/box is from a 91 crown royal, cheers, Russ...

Sanchez,
I've just recently put a 1UZ into a '95 hilux 2wd double cab and used the W58 supra box.

Some pointers:
You will need to modify your sump (if you have a mid sump that is - if you are blessed with a rear sump, then damn you, lucky bugger).

the steering member fouls 190mm from front of sump. The max vertical clearance from main sump flange is 40mm, so you need to cut a fair chunk out of the alloy and pan.

The main cross member will sit approx 130mm from main sump flange so you will need to cut the pan there too. You will also need to move the oil pick up.
Once you've cut all of this out you will need to make up area somewhere, so you will essentially be making a rear sump.... easiest thing is to go buy one from CRS, $600 may sound expensive, but its cheap unless you have free access to all of the tools - also you will need to send them your oil pick up for exchange.

Engine mounts
I've cadded up the mounts but here is a quick overview: for each engine mount, first you need some 5mm plate. See my basic pic attached - don't take it as gospel, but it will get you on your way.

Getting the engine in
Cut the top radiator mount, this will help you get the motor/gearbox in and out. If you haven't modified the sump, you will need to take the entire sump off. I found that a 130mm high shim spacer made out of wood and sat on the bottom cross member is about the right height for getting the alignment right

Gearbox mounts
If you are keen to cut the gearbox mount, just cut it space it and flip it over. Or just make a full spacer up using the standard mount. I will post some pics.

Engine
Flywheel and clutch: Get a 3S-GTE flywheel of a MR2 Turbo or Celica GT4. Re machine the 8 mounting hole centres, some say flip the ring gear, I have but its tough, and mount the 3S-GTE clutch pack. Make up an adapter plate or buy one - check Quest 4 in Auckland on +64 9 414 1102 they sell them for $250NZD. Mount your slave cylinder off the original bellhousing, just check your clearances off the original engine/gearbox.

Once my fingers recover from all this typing I will continue my rant...

Please, Sideshow, V8Hilux etc, chime in with your comments, even if you have to cut and paste links to the other posts

Muzz