1992 Sc400 Header Installation Question?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jibby

Hello everyone!!! I have a problem and hear it is - I expect to recieve a new set of S&S headers for my 1992 SC400 before next weekend, they are already paid for ($600) and have been shipped. Now, I have read all the forum threads on header installations both on this forum and others, and some say the engine needs to be pulled and others say they don't. I went to take off the stock headers and I can remove the stock header on the passenger side, however the driver side is a lot more challenging. My hands are large and I tried my best to get an adjustable ratchet , socket, and standard wrench on the header nuts and I could not get to them with my conventional tools. Can anyone tell me from hands on experience how they can be removed without pulling the engine and what exactly in detail will I need to do to reach those bolts. I would like to avoid lifting the engine, besides my engine jack stand is pre-occupied at the moment anyway. Thank you

John:wtf:

I really dont think you have to take out the engine for sure. What really help would be taken the header studs out and that will give u another 1.25"-1.5" extra room for the installation. However, what would be your solution to the EGR and EGR related issues?

One of our members sell an EGR block kit might be your solution.

I got the ERG block covered thank you Lex, I am just trying to figure out how to get the stock exhaust manifold on the driverside removed. It appears very difficult to get to those nuts, there is not enough access room to get a tool in there from top of the engine. Anyway, thanks for the advise, I got your package in the mail thank you, I like the hat, color matches my car.

Thanks I will look into that, I wonder if an EGR block is really needed, what the light just goes on? Do you know what the effects of a none egr block are? Or what member I can talk to inregard to that question. I don't see it as a big deal, but I could be wrong.

Well, the headers are not the issue. There is an upper intake EGR inlet from the back. You need to plug that up and the ECU will be confuse because its not reading the exhaust gas contents. Your ECU will go crazy..... Basically you need to block off the EGR inlet and trick the ECU.

On the early cars with EGR, I suggest installing the EGR flange in the downpipe before the relocated catalysts (if running) S&S has the correct flange as well as additional cat flanges to build downpipes with.

Thanks guys I will definetely take these last two posts into consideration. John or Dave, do you guys know where I can this EGR flange, and is it really necessary or can I just block off the egr inlet Dave is talking about. Will that be good enough for the ECU and piggyback to operate correctly. I was planning on getting it all re-tuned and dyno'd after, but it would be nice to be able to drive it into the shop and not tow. I was hoping these headers would not mess up my ECU too bad, I have had enough problems already with these piggy backs, to the point where I am considering a stand alone ECU. I will also look into more threads and reads on this subject, thank you.

jibby said:
Thanks guys I will definetely take these last two posts into consideration. John or Dave, do you guys know where I can this EGR flange,

Read my post above.

jibby said:
and is it really necessary or can I just block off the egr inlet Dave is talking about.

Yes you can block it off but I would run it on my car.

Will that be good enough for the ECU and piggyback to operate correctly. I was planning on getting it all re-tuned and dyno'd after, but it would be nice to be able to drive it into the shop and not tow. I was hoping these headers would not mess up my ECU too bad, I have had enough problems already with these piggy backs, to the point where I am considering a stand alone ECU. I will also look into more threads and reads on this subject, thank you.

Usually the headers will not mess up stock tuning. Since your tuning is an unknown take it easy and listen for detonation. You may want to get it re-tuned but it will not hurt it at all to drive normally.