1990-1994 Vs. 1995-1997 (LS400)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
Since this topic was brought up and there are lots of confusion. I am sure JBrady can help us out with this since he has one. Nevertheless, here are some information perhaps will help.

specs.jpg
spec-1.jpg
spec-2.jpg
piston.jpg
header.jpg

I think from what alot of people are saying and ive heard, the new design actually makes quite a bit more hp than the early model. So ether the early one is over rated or the late one is underated. Ether way it normally makes around 20/30 more hp and even more torque.

Yeah, the valve lift on the intake is different between the two...So the cams and headers create the difference in horsepower gains..... The exhaust lift on the motors are the same....

While looking around my engine for ID marks I noticed a number in the casting on the side of the block. Off the top of my head my older 1UZ has the number 29 and the 1996 1UZ I have has the number 16. Does this mean anything to anyone? I haven't found any threads talking about this number that I can remember and I've been looking.

:07: Toys is losing his mind and talking to himself.... Poor toys

Just fooling with ya mate...What I would like to know is if the Tunda 4.7 liter motor is more stout then the earlier model 1uz's....Got my eye on a bigger motor as my current 1uz-fe is starting to burn oil with the best of them...I think the nos and running the motor below normal operating temp is finally starting to wear out the motor and rings.. I need to start thinking about suitable swap options or an engine bore.......

Damn it sounds like you need a true iron block pig of a drag racing motor!! Go for it but make sure and get a C6 transmission behind it with a shift kit. You would never have any problems ever again. Ok here are a couple shots I JUST took of the rods from my 1996 1UZ HO (High Output Edition) . I haven't even put the block on the bench so here is the best for now.

fwf_96_rod_01.jpg

fwf_96_crank.jpg

Smitherz,

Looks like the 1995 to 1997 and beyond have similar rods (weaker). Check out these comments from Toyota on the 1995 (2nd Gen) 1uzfe.

I still doubt that they are alot weaker, and still plenty strong enough for mild boost. These engines are alot better for people staying N/A imo as they will make quite a bit more hp out of the box

Yeah they might be weaker... I don't think I'll get to the point at which I would actually cause them to fail. Maaaaybe the redesigned piston rings might breakdown under boost.. maybe not. Even if I did turbo (considering after my swap is up and running good) I wouldn't want to push past 550HP. I just don't need that much for my intentions and I would rather not consume that much fuel when I take long trips with my ride. I wouldn't have any hesitation putting down this much hp with the stock bottom end. If it does go... no big deal and lesson learned. Ok I'm taking my free time (b4 dinner) on this Easter day to do some 1UZ work! :tongue2: Yeehaw! I'm going to take some more pics I think.

Got to ask - Why do you guys put so much emphesis on the strength of these motors...In all my years of Lexus and Toyota forum reads I am still yet to see a busted stock rod or piston on any of these above mentioned UZ motors... I think you guys should be addressing the tranny's, driveshafts, rearends, etc.... I just have not seen or read about any engine failure from pushing too much horse power on these motors...

Granted you boost out 600-700rwhp on one, then sure the engine may then bust a nut or something, but in order to produce that much juice you need one hell of boost setup and supportive drivetrain...

I challenge any of you folks to show me busted stock rods or pistons on the xuz.. motors from pushing too much horsepower in tune of course..

Please prove me wrong, because I can't bust anything on my stock internal 1uz-fe motor, and I have upped the NOS shot, all external mods, torque converter, traction, everything to create massive stress on the motor and it still purs, but now does burn oil... Still, No engine failure, ever.....However, everything else around the car has broke down or failed from the increased power output on my SC4, but the engine still holds strong...

With probably now pushing slightly over 500ft pounds of torque I have managed to break parts on my SC4 in this order....

1) Lug nuts and rear spindle failure (with 500lbs of sandbags in the trunk)
2) Drive shaft (too much play) had to rebuild
3) transmission failure (automatic) gave up the ghost had to rebuild stronger
4) Piston rings wear is evident (approx..one quart every 1000 miles now)

No ENGINE failure, even with Big Nos jerks, fast and long redlining, I really just thrash and abuse this motor as best I can and as often as I can. I can't break it. With all that being said I am so damn impressed with it's strength and durability....

Just a little food for thought on this post as I was once was hung up on the "oh can the engine handle the power" too.... I say boost away and don't sweat. I strongly dought a piston will crack, a rod will fail, or a head come flying off the motor......

OH - JUST WANT TO SAY HAPPY EASTER TO ALL THE FELLOW LEXTREMER'S!!!!!

Well I was really just referring to the early model 1uz-fe motors such as what I have in my 1992 SC400....I should have been more specific.. So as we all known the newer model 2uz's and 3uz's are proven to be a weaker motors when compared to the earlier model 1uz-fe motors...

I would love to know if the destruction of those motors were caused by straight power and not just an improper fuel mix or timing error.... 6psi isn't much....

Again, I was just reffering to the early model 1uz-fe 4.0 liter motors, and from my experience, I can't for the life of me break or throw a rod, crack a piston, etc...and that is on my 1992 1uz-fe V8 motor.. I have been trying to blow it up for years now with no success....My conclusion is the early model 1uz-fe motor is just a tank of a motor and extremely hard to make fail... Atleast when producing 500whp or less... Also, if a reasonably big NOS shot can't kill an engine nothing will.. It's basically a rude jolt to the internal engine parts that creates more immediate stress then any other air forced induction application producing equal power...Guess what? That is what alternate fuel source I have been using for many years now on my 1uz...150 shot...

I am trying just to make a point, and that I have always been very impressed with this stoutness of these early model little 4.0 liter motors... These little bastards can hold some really nice horsepower in stock form, so people stop sweating over the forgies or engine failure because these motors can take alot more power then what most people seem to think.....

Lol dude, we all know that, thats why this forum exists ;)

Lex, Drifty and Smithers were discussing the late model one briefly which is why they were talking about it being (or maybe not) weaker.

No one doubts the early can take between 400-600bhp no sweat. :)