180 deg headers

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

toywelder

hi all new here (first post)
i have search and read your posts about 180 headers
but is it really worth it or is it just a kick azz sound ?
i am putting a 1UZ with a turbo 400 tranny in my
1976 Toyota land cruiser 4X4 (fj45 clone)
will it hurt the motor with to mush scavenging
meaning pull raw fuel out and flame up ??
i am setting the motor/tranny in the frame rails soon
and next will be headers and i do love the way they sound
but i dont want to waist my time and hurt/kill power
or start fires LOL

True 180 headers will help power over any other header at the same tuned point and they do tend to have better power everywhere else as. Both of these situations accure only if they are built right. In a front engine / rear or all wheel drive, they are hard to build cause you tend to end up with extremely long primary's. With Mid engine cars its a lot easier to get the correct tuned length primary's cause the headers and exhaust tend to go above the drivetrain where this is tends to be ton's of room.

In my honest oppinion, you can never have too much scavaging. Unless you have extremely radical cam profiles, your not going to pull raw fuel into the exhaust but with more stock and more mild cam profiles you can start to pull a mild vaccum in the cylinder and thus allowing for more fuel/air mix to enter once the intake track starts to really flow. Remember, intake track flow doesn't start to really flow well until the valve has been open for a while. This is why is why radical cams open the the intake earlier and hold it open longer thus allowing intake flow to start sooner and last longer but at idle and low RPM's there is not enough flow and thus volicty is low and the cylinder to not fill completely and also the exhaust scavaging isn't working well so the cylinder is partly filled with bunt gasses and thus the reason for the Lope of engines with radical cams

So my oppinion is, if you have the means to do them and can do them correctly to match the engine (i.e. correct tuned length) then by all means, do them. They are only going to help if done correctly.

Here's what I have so far on mine. It's not really obvious that they are 180 degree headers, but they are. Doing it this way, the shortest I could get the primaries is 36 1/2 inches. The length is not that important to me since I am supercharging so I don't need the scavenging. Plus, I'm probably not gaining any HP doing it this way because the tubes are so long and have so many bends in them. It's going to take extreme measures to keep underhood temps at a reasonable level. I'm just doing it for the sound.

actual6web-1.jpg

actualpassweb.jpg

actualweb.jpg

please someone take video with good quality audio of your car with 180 headers when they are complete. i really would like to hear a 1uz with this setup.

ok well thats answered my questions, doent sound like a flat plane motor at all, sounds more like a ford. thanks chris.

Jake,
that's primarily due to longer primaries,
different silencers than any flatplane you know,
lack of rpm.

I think if you'd take a +/-8000 rpm 1uz red line, have decent silencers ie NON cherrybomb/usa style but chamber dampers (don't know in english) alla ferrari lambo audi,
and can work out a shorter length primary, midship engine,
it's allready a whole different ballgame.

ad 32v small valvetrain vs 16 HUGE jarlids......
ever heard a ford pinto 2.0l 8v (205block) next to a cosworth NA 16v headed 205block, even if you strap on the exact same exhaust system the 8v sounds very lame and low compared to the 16v head which instantly screams.

it's the package that makes something sound, not just one component.
besides the only comparison inbetween a chevy and a 1uz is the number of cylinders.

Grtz Thomas

They both (chevy and UZ) share the same firing order and cylinder I.D. location which has a lot to do with the exhaust pulses and thus a factor of what it sounds like.. This is why the ford HiPo 302's sound totally different then the standard ford 302 from back in the day, totally different firing order everything else the same.

Now I do agree that the rest of the exhaust and the RPM has a big factor in the final sound.

The way I look at it is, who care's what it sounds like if it make good power for what it is.

I agree with some of what both of you said. When my motor was on the dyno, up to about 3500 RPM it sounded very similar to a V8 chebbie due to the same firing order, but above 3500-4000, it definitely had its own exhaust note.

No one would mistake it for a V8 Ferrari, but it certainly didn't sound like a Ford or chebbie, either.