How to bypass igniters to test for spark

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
You've tested the sensors but did you test the wiring between the sensors and the ECU?
There could be a broken wire or two due to age/engine heat.
Also, check that you have 12v on all black/red wires with ignition on.

Yup I have power on the ignighters to everything except the signal and feedback wires

Just re read your post I will check the power wires on everything just to make sure

Last edited:
pre-vvti igniters need grounding igniter's body to chassis. Also check if your ecu has built-in immobilizer.

pre-vvti igniters need grounding igniter's body to chassis. Also check if your ecu has built-in immobilizer.

Ignitors are attached to firewall through the mounting bracket. I wrapped a stripped wire around them and grounded it just to make sure still nothing.

How would i go about finding out if my ecu had an immoblizer ..

I was hoping the issue was the start signal or the neutral safety switch but I've checked and they are both wired to my starter button now

Cool, now check if there's continuity between ECU terminals E1, E01 etc. and igniters. Just in case. Must be something below 2 Ohm. ECU earth are attached to intake manifold, make sure it's firmly connected to negative terminal of the battery.

How to tell if it's immobilized or not - look at ecu p/n 89661-... , see year and market of the car it's off, see if there was an option of immobilizer for that year.

I know some non-vvti LS400's had immobilizer for european market in around 1996, don't know much about the rest, I only deal with JDM engines

Cool, now check if there's continuity between ECU terminals E1, E01 etc. and igniters. Just in case. Must be something below 2 Ohm. ECU earth are attached to intake manifold, make sure it's firmly connected to negative terminal of the battery.

How to tell if it's immobilized or not - look at ecu p/n 89661-... , see year and market of the car it's off, see if there was an option of immobilizer for that year.

I know some non-vvti LS400's had immobilizer for european market in around 1996, don't know much about the rest, I only deal with JDM engines

Thanks man really appreciate your help!

p/s Post-1997 toyota engines (those with immobilizer) would output blink code 99 upon any immo system failure (guess you know how to swith ecu to diagnostic mode). I don't have any idea though if pre-1997 engines (those with immobilizer) would output code 99 or immo system on these engines is diagnosed somehow else.

If it's the immobilizer (which I doubt, they didn't appear on the non vti engines till 98) The engine will act like it's going to run but then dies. Which is due to having to run one cycle before killing it.

Zukijames some codes can be detected at the very turn of ignition key (oxygen sensors' heater current, range problem of some sensors like water temp, mass airflow, etc etc). Immobilizer (if exists) also begins to work once you turn ignition on. VVTI engines (those with immobilizer) won't fire at all unless authorization is passed - not a single spark , no fuel, no nothing.

Mines not vvti and still nothing no spark no injector pulse.. I have one leaky capacitor (that I can see) with a very little amount of corrosion at the bottom