Fine Line between Oil and Cooling

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
The purpose of oil in turbo provides few benefits. First it act as a lubercant to the bearings, second the oil also help in cooling the turbo. As soom of you are into turboing your V8 engine. There is a fine line between the amount of oil supply to the turbo and cooling factor. Too much oil, will cause excess over flow and cause smoking at your tailpipes. Too little will over heat your turbo and shorten the life of the turbo very fast.

The oil supply from your V8 should have enough flow to supply a single or twin turbo without any problem. Baddly made turbos will experience this problem more often.

good points dave...

also something to note for those who haven't bothered to read the other posts concerning the supply of oil to the turbo's is that you gotta be careful with the oil pressure running through your turbo system... can't be too low, yet can't be too high either.... nothing comes easy, hehe

Right now my turbo is smoking. At idle i am affraid the turbo is not getting enough oil and too much oil during redline. I have an adjustable oil restrictor. I havent test out how much oil i am getting during idle per minute, but not much from what i see. I have seen and heard of a constant oil pressure regulator. Have anyone of you guy have one?

something like a wastegate.... or boost controller modified to work with oil pressure instead of boost...

Fat do u have any picture or link? R-Ray, I need to find an electrical bypass valve. The vacuum is hook up into a vacuum sensor and activate the bypass at certain boost level. However, this will be too much work and money. Like Fat stated. I will run a T right before the turbo oil inlet. The other oil line will feed back to the oil pan. The bypass with the T will still give oil during idle and as the oil pressure increases, the bypass will increase also.

The two places i can do bypassing is at either right at where the oil from the engine or right at the turbo. I its easier and look nicer if i do the bypassing right at the oil outlet from the engine. From there, i am affraid i might not get enough oil to the turbo. The turbo is located pretty high up and the oil pan is much lower and the oil pan bypass line from the T might get more oil and less oil to the turbo. If i do the at the turbo, then both of them will get pretty much even oil distrubution.

Here is what i got today.
(1) Oil from the engine
(2) Oil going into the turbo
(3) Oil bypassing the turbo and goes back to the oil pan
(4) After the oil lub and cooled the turbo, it heads back to the oil pan.

From the T configuration, i will get more oil goes into number (2) path than (3). At idle, gravity plays more into the drainage and with redline, the pressure is great and gravity play a smaller role and (3) will get more oil return. Since (1) and (3) is a straight flow, it will get more flow during high rpm.
The below picture with discription tells a better story:

U got it wrong.the exturnal filter setup goes on where the oil filter whent.It has 2 lines from it one into an exturnal filter wich is huge and one back again.I put the t pice in the one going back. the oil psi spot on now. We tried other ways but had to much it pushed past the seals.

Fat how me some pics please...

Any this is what i did. Bypass and restrictor. I can not picture what Fat is talking about. I hope he can help me and share some information.

Just a suggestion... consider looking at one of these for oil pressure regulation. They are designed for oil pressure regulation on wet and dry sump engine systems.

http://www.drysump.com/filtadpt.htm

About your smoking turbo porblem. Do you find an excessive amount of oil is wetting the insides of you intake plumbing? (from the compressor to the throttle body) I've had simular issues when I found my oil return was too small and on too sharp an angle. Increasing it to a 3/4" pipe solved that problem. You want to have it drop down from the turbo about 2" straight, then have it bend away to where it needs to go.

Good Luck,

Ian.