Big Block

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
From the domestic arena, big block is consider 351 (Ford) and 350 (Chevy) or high in cubic inch is considered Big Block. Does Japanese engines have similar division. If no, why dont we make one up?

The current Japanese V8 in production cars are the Nissan V8 (Q45 and the new 5.6 liters in Titans and Armada), Toyota has the 4.0-4.7.

Honda = None
Mitshubishi = None
Subaru = None
Mazda = None

What is consider big block in the Japanese Motorsport World? To me personally, i would think any Japanese V8 motor larger then 5.0 liter would considered BIG BLOCK.

What do u think?

Lextreme said:
From the domestic arena, big block is consider 351 (Ford) and 350 (Chevy) or high in cubic inch is considered Big Block. Does Japanese engines have similar division. If no, why dont we make one up?

What do u think?

The "Big Block: term refers to the block's physical size not really it's displacement, though the two are obviously related - mostly but not always. In fact 350 chevs are small blocks compared to their larger (427,454) cousins and a 400 chev comes in either flavours, boths small and big blocks. So at the end of the day, Toyota really one make one physical sized V8 block currently(though both in alloy and steel). I'll call it the "Only Block":)

i have a 400 chevy small block in my old van (it might accelerate to 40 faster than my sc400) and i looked at stroker kits which included a simple overbore to 406 a stroke to 415, and a stroke to 427! So lex even if you stroked a UZ or bored or both, the block size does not change.

MacroP is right: the external dimentions are what determine the classification for the blocks. Nissan might have two different external block sizes, but I am not sure (Titan vs M|Q45). The "biggest" block I have is a Cadillac 472ci, almost double the displacement of the 1UZ ;)

Ok, i just found a complete crate small block chevy in the Summit Racing catalogue by World Products that displaces 454 ci (the size of normal big block chevy) and is rated at 600hp and 605 ft. lbs of torque. Too bad the price is 10,494.95. Same company makes a crate 632ci big block rated at 900hp!

big block ***

I would call no *** engine a big block because a big block has nothing to do with ci it has to do with the size of the block for excample a chevy 350 is a small block while a buick,pontiac,and olds 350 are big blocks. the only way Id consider a Import a big block would be in realtionship to what it is going into for exanple Im going to put a 1uzfe into a 80 MKI supra for the car it is going into the 1uzfe would be a big block if you get my drift.

Scott

Oddly enough, some of the "small" displacement Japanese V8 engines are as big externally as the American big blocks, due to the OHC design. I supose the 1UZ is in the middle somewhere since it head/cam design is very compact. The Nissan 4.5l V8 is quite big.

I strongly suspect most *** and European quad cam V8's are wider and take up more engine bay than most "big block" V8's - and many are heavier too compared to an aftermarket aluminium big block.

They will be slightly shorter (better for hood clearance) but have a higher center of gravity than the American OHV motors. Their power per cubic inch will be better for equivalent tune - but their HP PER lb WEIGHT will suck by comparison (to the better US performance built V8's) for some and be on par with others... some of the Euro engines are VERY heavy!

comparison:

A 440 - 655 cubic inch aluminium Mopar wedge will weigh under 500lb soaking wet and is around 32" wide, about 34" long to pulleys and about 28" tall from a wet sump to stock air cleaner top (height is irrelevant really as these engines will run EFI or tall intakes and custom sumps or dry sumps).

yes, Kostecki Engine Centre here in WEST AUSTRALIA have taken a stock block LS1 out to 454ci.

see their website.

I know this thread is older then my Grandma, but I just read this while browsing and was suprised with this post comment. Pro I didn't know it was possible to bore out an LS1 to 454ci, after all that's an alluminum block... Got a link for this?

There is also the Warhawk Blocks which allow an LS1/7 (tall deck) to be built to capacities up to 454ci.

http://www.worldcastings.com/warhawklandsatworld.htm

0603htp_hawk_04_z.jpg

From an article at gmhightechperformance.com

The increased deck height is what allows the extra stroke capabilities of the Warhawk block; 9.800 inches to be exact. This allows a 4.250-inch crank to be used without putting the wristpin in the piston ring land. With increased distance from the crank centerline to the head sealing surface, intake manifold spacers will need to be used for standard LS1-style intakes. World has an intake coming soon that will bolt right up to this block, though. An OEM-size 9.240-inch deck Warhawk block is also available for a couple hundred dollars less, but you'll be limited to a 4-inch stroke crank.

...Heretofore, a racer has had to spring for a C5R block and shell out over $6,000 to safely take advantage of a 4.125-inch bore; with a 4.000-inch stroke crank, this gives the legendary number of 427 cubes. Yet even the cylinder walls on the C5R block still aren't as thick as many racers would like. Horsepower values in the range of 1200-1400 sound like a lot to get out of GM's race-bred block, but for the truly hardcore guys, it just hasn't been enough. They want the firepower to break through ET barriers even beyond the seven seconds some have already achieved.

Consider that need filled. Bill Mitchell, owner and president of World Products, has one-upped the General and brought the first aftermarket Gen III/IV block to the front lines of the late-model horsepower wars. World's new "Warhawk LS7X" engine block is not only stronger than anything GM offers, but it's less expensive. And you liked the ring of 427; how does 454 cubic inches sound? With a maximum stroke of 4.25 inches, that's how big the 9.800-inch-deck version of the Warhawk can go when a 4.125-inch finished bore size is used. While $3,999.99 for this block (PN 086230) is probably out of the budget of most weekend racers, it's a huge savings over the C5R block and sure to end up under the hoods of many of the fastest F-bodies, GTOs, and Corvettes on the planet.

Bill

Who says they dont have "big blocks"

Honda = K24
Mitshubishi = 6G72
Subaru = EJ257
Mazda = Cosmo 20b 3 rotor

:p

I would have thought with the alluminum LS1 5.7L block an engine bore would be limited.... Thought maybe a bore of that magnitude would compromise the structual integrity of the block itself...That's good news...

A light weight motor with that kind of liter size and displacement would be something to lust over....Awesome!!!!

ha woops. the first three letters of japanese. iv never head of it being an offensive word anywhere, especially on a forum based on a *** engine.

my opinion on the japanese 'big block' thing is that there is no such thing. if there was though, the 1uz and q45 and 20b would be the 'big blocks'.