Procharger Supercharger

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
lol after going through the re-build from blown head gaskets I plan to stay at 7psi for now and start modding in other places for power. I like the short runner idea Justingt8 has created. Easy place to gain some flow.

Just moved to Colorado for school and currently dont have the fish even mounted up. I have a bad fuel pump causing hesitation over 2500rpm so just waiting on the fedex guy lol. It sucks to since this is a MAJOR automotive school out here in the states and it seems like every student has a riced out integra or 240sx. Been aching to slaughter some of the locals since most of them are "Vtec-or-die" w/ no real FI cars to speak of.
had quite a few opportunities but no way im trying in my 4000lb 250hp boat haha. I need my fish!!!

Did some reading and I found a lot of talk about setting up these chargers for the same result as using a wastegate and small pulley, but instead of the wastegate costs you can restrict the air intake. Apparently you can limit top end boost using a restrictor, but the charger will hit max boost early, just like a wastegate and boost controller.

Problem is, can't find anywhere here to get pulleys!

I love the wastegate/BC. It gives the best of both worlds... low heat/high efficiency w/o any lag. matter of fact it should "spool" (i guess u could say) as quick if not quicker than a really small turbo yet having a tremendous boost cieling. David is going to start a 4.7 block for me after x-mas and when I do that swap I will most likely add the adjustable fish.

Hey Nem i would try the Vortech website... pretty damn sure the vortech/procharger/paxton have interchangeable pulleys. i see them advertised that was all the time. just keep in mind the estimates they give for boost will not be even close because of our crank pulley but from my experience the 3.6'' is an easy 7psi... probably 8psi w/o intercooler.

Shh it's a secret, I started mine today for the first time (i'll make a build thread once I surprise the people intended down here lol)

Two questions:

My boost gauge doesn't show boost when I rev it in neutral, is this normal? It doesn't do much actually, it just slowly shows more and more vacuum as it's running, the needle doesn't seem to react to revs at all (definitely plumbed into a manifold vacuum line, but it is plumbed into the same line as the bypass valve)

The bypass valve seems to work fine, it has an adjustable spring but it seems to do exactly the same whether it's on hard or softest. It releases a tonne of air at idle and closes when you crack the throttle. I have noticed though (again in neutral as I have yet to drive it) when I just slightly rev the engine and hold the revs at part throttle the bypass is dumping heaps of air, it doesn't close till you open the throttle quickly (like accelerating/revving.) Is this normal?

I use an autometer boost/vacuum and w/ procharger it takes some effort to get it into boost. I love it that way... I only get boost when I floor it and rev past 3k. I rarely see ANY boost when driving normally, even slightly getting on it it won't show up. you might fin that you'll get some effect from the blower "boost" but shows up as low vacuum, basically if you revved a little higher it would cross into boost. If the gauge is not showing boost in neutral it's normal, does it to me too.

What type of valve are u running Nem? I'm sure you remember my nightmare w/ BOV. Just for reference I am running an audi TT BPV and works flawlessly ($75) from VW. I used to have unstable idle issues but if your idle is saying put chances are you are fine. Those valves let off a lot of air when left open eh? I used to love showing off my TIAL by asking a friend to place their hand next to it and i would rev her up and it had enough force to push your hand back! After high revving if lay off to coast down a hill the valve will stay open the whole time. it's normal, some people complain about it some love it lol.

Another boosted 1UZ? Nice. Some boost gauges need to be installed in front of the TB and some are installed after the TB. At idle, it should show 0. If you floor the gas fast, you should see boost. If you floor it slowly, it may read vacuum. At cruising, it'll read vacuum. Try to get the boost source by itself. There're several vacuum sources on the manifolds.

I noticed if you deleted your EGR you can add a few vacuum lines to the blockoff plate... and it's perfect placement as the air rushing in slams into that EGR port 1st before entering the runenrs so a very accurate spot.

I have one of these (though boost is to 20psi)

autometerboost.gif

I was going to try as Steve suggested, give it it's own vacuum source, the bypass valve may be affecting it. The bypass is definitely dumping a tonne of air while it's idling, I was just curious about the part throttle air dumping.

Also to answer your Q about bypass, it's like yours just the adjustable type, is meant to be a direct replacement on cars that yours fits:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__Bosch-Turbo-Bypass-Valve-for-Audi-Porsche-VW-ADJUSTABLE_W0QQitemZ250274811428QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20TruckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQddiZ2811QQadiZ2865QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250274811428&_trkparms=72%3A543|39%3A1|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

I have the same gauge you have except it's 30psi (2 month wait on the 20psi for some weird reason). I have my BTV routed with the largest ID rubber tubing i could use that would still be tight, I used the large vacuum port above idle control valve. My BTV is "T" with my boost gage and I have no issues. Now my fuel regulator has it's own dedicated line.. i would not mess with that but the gauge isn't affected, it's branched off 4 inches from the manifold, not close to the BPV.

I am stoked today!! I re-torqued my heads to 75-ft/lb 2 days ago and the corner that was oozing is not oozing anymore. I could wipe the coolant residue off the corner only for it to re-appear an hour later... but thankfully no drip. Now I rode her hard for 2 days and dry as a bone! Now I am planning on end of next week if everything is still dry to bolt the charger back on. Man 200,000 miles takes a toll on your low end power. My 1uz low end after the rebuild feels like w/ blower before the rebuild. I really want to see how responsive it is now after the compression bump.

"PSSST" So can i expect some numbers soon from your 4runner? lol

Good luck, guys! It looks like you guys are on the right track.

Sean,
Does your car getting a little bit slower with the thicker head gaskets? Your car might not have very low compression because you had the heads resurfaced, which ground off the edges and moved the heads closer to the pistons.

Its much faster in N/A form than i have ever experienced. The engine has cometic MLS at oem compression. I didn't plan on upping my boost until I get to my next phase and thats larger displacement block, I plan to lower comp then but w/ pistons not head gaskets. The thinner the better IMO.

I guess the machine shop was close? he said i had massive pressure loss thru my heads. After valve job and keeping my 200,000 mile piston rings alone I'd say he was right. I cant wait till the bower gets put back, I have excellent low end already. Weird but now I can finally feel the effects f my 3000rpm stall converter, low end has some torquiness considering I have a huge 2.5'' N/A exhaust. I had the TC put in at 180,000 and did not notice much. I guess I had a pretty inefficient low end to start with (leaky valves + LRG exhaust).

Well I drove it today (to work lol) and I must say, it didn't make me go wow...

Something must be wrong with the boost gauge connection so i don't know what it's getting. All i've done is pipe the charger through a cooler and into the AFM/TB. Is there anything else I should have done? Certain hoses on the engine/manifold I should have blocked off or changed?

I'm running a 3.40" pulley but have a 3" intake to try restrict it a bit. I hope it's not making 6psi or so because I wasn't exactly gobsmacked lol. Should 6 psi make me grin like a mad man the first time? (no grin came heh)

I haven't driven the 4Runner for 2 months nearly, so I kinda forget what it went like. But I assume if I am trying to work out if it's getting any boost then something is up. Surely a V8 on boost is scary at the best of times.

Okay this has got me stuffed now, i've tried 3 different spots to plumb the boost gauge i've used the one on the back of the manifold that was blanked off, the fuel regulator port and the large one next to it. All it does is slowly build vacuum (i mean real slow) but it doesn't respond to engine revs at all, it doesn't even jump a tiny bit or move around in the vacuum area...

Brand new Autometer boost/vac gauge.... I'm stumped. I pulled the hose out the back of the gauge just before and the olive/hose look normal.

One thing I noticed was when I used my BOV it responded like that. It had hardely any movement until I swapped to the audi valve. can breathe on the gas and the vacuum side of the gauge is bouncing all over, just hard to get it to cross w/o flooring it. Any chance you have the spring set to soft?

Also, what kind of fuel modding did you do? Rising rate? I managed to screw up my regulator because i didn't have a second vacuum line routed to the unit. How big is the ID of the bypass valve? And did you check all the t-bolt clamps? Mine had a couple that were sliding on the 3'' piping when I revved, fixed itself once I tightened them all down.

As for test drive mine wasn;t all that great either. My car was dying at idle, horrible hesitation but it did have it's balls at WOT. can you get yur 4runner to hold a run at WOT? if so then your doing alright.. just sounds like some small adjustments.

Okay so I found the gauge issue, I guess assuming I did it right really did make an 'ass out of me' lol... Somehow the line had tied itself in a knot under the dash, I resorted to pulling the whole line out and found it.

So I took it for a quick test run. It was seeing around 4 psi for the most part once over say 3krpm and peaking at 6 (if that) JUST near redline (hard to judge because it's midnight and my dash lights aren't working for some reason.)

Still it's funny, because I could see the boost gauge moving, seat of the pants it felt quicker than this afternoon, placebo effect? lol

3.40" pulley, so if my intake is restricting it to 6psi then so much for the theory of the boost coming on early with a small pulley lol.

I just blocked off the pipe from the throttle body -> rocker cover a minute ago but it's too late and quiet to test it tonight. Tomorrow I might pull the intake and give it a cautious spurt to see what boost it can hit.

Fuel seems fine, no strange noises apart from a funny burrrrring noise at high revs, but I think that's cos my charger is too far forward and the belt keeps half walking back off the idler pulley lol. I'm running LPG remember, with 'heavy duty' injectors, for what it's worth. Will be taking it to Neil at Rush next Friday (Fri week) for the proper dyno run.

I noticed about the same PSI. I could not get over 5psi until I reworked my BPV and then for some reason I picked up another 2psi. i think it had something to do with the BOV leaking too much air (spring too soft). Nem, try tightening your valve and see if it changes your boost at all. Weird and i still don't understand how it happened. Hows the high rpm power? these kinds of blower are very docile under 3k but above that it's another beast in itself!!

Fuel seems fine, no strange noises apart from a funny burrrrring noise at high revs, but I think that's cos my charger is too far forward and the belt keeps half walking back off the idler pulley lol. I'm running LPG remember, with 'heavy duty' injectors, for what it's worth. Will be taking it to Neil at Rush next Friday (Fri week) for the proper dyno run.

I was at Neil's just yesterday, dropping off my short runner manifold for him to install for the guy who bought it :)

Pity i'll be on Hols up at Byron or i wouild have swung by to say g'day in the TT celica

Bugga yeah I would have loved to see it (and say g'day hehe)! Neil did my LPG injection only the other month.

The BPV is meant to be adjustable from 8-12psi, at the moment I've wound it right up to the hardest point. Did you block off that rocker cover breather hose spf? I notice last night some oil around the dip stick hole so it was definitely boosting the crankcase as well as the intake!

i just added breathers for both sides. Wish I would have thought a few yards further and picked up a catch can but o well i have to live with the smell for a while lol.