Just bought on ebay for a 944 conversion

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

skid

As another thread is on here (though seems to have died out), just thought I'd post on the subject.

I've just scooooooooooped (I believe a 1UZ - vendor wasn't much help) V8 on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7931373472&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

See what you think. GBP338, so that's approx USD600 (not sure AUS/NZ). What do you think? Can't be bad eh? :)

'Apparently' it has all the electrical components. I bloody hope so!!!. Anyone think anything major is missing from the shots???

I know Lexus aren't so popular in Europe which may help the unit price, however it going to be a reet bastid to source performance components here, so looks like I will be doing some importing from the clever engineering chaps in the Colonies! ha ha

So the plan is to chuck it in an old 944. Why? Well the rear transaxled perfectly balanced car is galvanised and very well built. It works well with the Buick/Rover conversion which means it could go to a 5.0 TVR version. The 944 engine is steel and weighs 10Ib more than the alloy Rover V8, so the hope is the 1UZ wont upset the balance either.

I like the higher revving Lexus, it's strong bottom end and potential plus wanted to be different to the Rover route.

I think the plan will be to finalise the sourcing of the donor, strip all unessentials from the engine bay and the block itself and start the location process. I may even pull off the sump as starting to think it will foul the Xmember.

My engine doesn't have any kind of bellhousing and it's going to be fun locating a flywheel, clutch and mechanism and then locating it to the torque tube. Any advice on this would be appreciated, such as the Auto trans bell housing and modification problems.

Phew.

In case any of you wonder or think I'm sounding a bit clever..... I haven't got a f***ing clue what I'm doing! :)

Cheers all

(Skid) - Mark

p.s feel free to be a critic as that's the only way I learn

Its missing the alternator. power steering pump and air flow meter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to see the ECU!

You will be able to source a bellhousing from those lowly Colonials you refer to.

They can probably assist with a lot of other stuff as well.

Zuffen,
Zuffen said:
You will be able to source a bellhousing from those lowly Colonials you refer to.
Sorry Mate, I think you will find I respectfully wrote '....so looks like I will be doing some importing from the clever engineering chaps in the Colonies!'

Bit of a difference, there's no intention to start off on the wrong foot.

Right, Thanks to all for your observations and time. I was aware that the alternater and PAS pump were missing, but this isn't really a problem as I wont be using PAS. A missing airflow meter and ECU is, though I was expecting to have to run aftermarket products and was hoping for various advice and guidance from here at a later stage.

If standard components will be able to cope with my (as yet not finalised) perfomence spec then I will have to source from a breakers either at home or abroad.

Space is very much a probelm with my intended project and the whole thing could be stillborn if the physical location problems become too much.

If the 1UZ is apparantly 670mm across the valve covers, the 944 is apparantly only going to give it 15mm clearance either side. Precise location and minimal movement on the mounts is going to be key, as is a set of very neat block hugging headers.

Luckily Turbos are not on the agenda so they wont complicate the headers. A supercharger may be an option, but I need to get my head around the electronics of an engine, and how they cope and need to be set up with a totally different atmospheric situation.

Can anyone post me a link to an idiots guide on the 1UZ ECU and sensors, their performance and limitations??????

Cheers all.

Regards

Mark

Hehe something tells me Zuffen's remark was also in good humour

as for electricals, you should be able to find most of what you need to know on this site/forum...

as far as stock ecu's are concerned, they should be able to handle light mods well enough... heck, even a little boost (6-7psi) shouldnt be a problem... anything more and you should look at getting a piggyback at the least....

R-Jay said:
Hehe something tells me Zuffen's remark was also in good humour
good stuff! ;)

Thanks for the reply R-Jay.

As a general guide, if the stock ECU and electrics can take 6-7psi boost is that also a limit on the heads/valvetrain and other parts of the motors before they need altering, or if I piggy back (I think I understand but please confirm for me) what's the boost level I could go to before running into the next step of potentially expensive modifications?

Could I get close to 400bhp at the flywheel with just a good set of highflow headers, cold air pick up, 7psi of supercharged boost, a good TB and properly matched injectors?

The next step would be cams but I understand they are still rare and a FI grind would be different to a N/A grind and therefore even harder to get?

Oh dear what have I started? ha ha

Cheers

Mark

Skid,

The engine will hold together with 20lb of boost. It won't give it's best as it should be decompressed once you go past about 11lb. This allows you to run more boost and more advance hence more power.

400FWHP is attainable with N/A but you would need a different ECU to run an alternative inlet to flow this.

6-7lb FI could give you 400FWHP on the stock system.

You may get away with the stock headers but have a look around this Site as people make their own and they are no worse than the stock ones anyway.

AFMs are available used in Australia for around $300.00 (GBP115.00) If you are looking at an aftermarket ECU you wouldn't use the AFM and use a MAP sensor and put the money toward the new ECU.

You can buy flywheels here but I would look at adapting the 944 bell to the engine and have the 944 flywheel modded to the Toyota bolt pattern and have the ring gear off the Toyota flexplate fitted to the 944 fly.

You are right about the tight fit. The clearance problem is up high, You may be able to make the heads overlap the inner skirts to make it fit. You could always start choping up the engine bay.

Various sump positions are available. Front, mid and rear. You will find these are also available downunder or QCA (on this SITE) apparently makes a sump that can be configured in any of the 3 positions.

As for cams there are only re-machined stock cams available at the moment. Hopefully by Christmas we will be able to purchase cams, to your own specs, out of NZ.

Almost anything you want is available.