Bought the wife a car - not a Toyota

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

-Nemesis-

WTF, since when were Magna's awesome cars? :shock:

Been looking around for ages for a car for the missus, something bigger but not too big and didn't have a big budget. Anyways after lots of reading and research I made a guy a crazy offer on a 2001 Magna VRX that she loved the colour of (lol) and I'm in love with this thing, with the exception of it being FWD.

Got it for an absolute bargain as he was sick of trying to sell it. 2001 model with only 70k km on it. 5 speed tiptronic, digital screen with climate control, trip computers, traction control, dual airbags, 8 speaker (awesome) system, trick interior and seats. Got it for quiet a few slabs under $10k..... Thankyou Mitsu depreciation! (though rrp in Glassguide is $14.5k) This thing was $45k + on roads in '01 and it's like brand new...

Actually looks tough as in the flesh (for a Magna lol)

2876054.jpg

2876084.jpg

2876116.jpg

2876102.jpg

And to my surprise it goes like a dog shot in the a$s! These things do 0-100 in a fleas d|ck over 7 seconds and yet have a (claimed) cruising economy better than a 4cyl Camry.

Went for a big drive tonight and it's one of the best cars i've driven (driven WRX's, B4's, XR8's etc etc.) My only two complaints for a genuine flyer is the FWD which can struggle for grip off the line, though TC works well, and the steering seems a bit light @ >100km/h. Can't believe how much grunt the 3.5l V6 has, I reckon it'd chop my old mans stock WRX from a rolling start!

Just goes to show what the $ can buy, makes equivalent cost Commondores etc so friggen boring it's not funny. And the build quality of it seems flawless, has that big heavy door thwump, always a sign of quality.

Mitsi never really had a good name here,not with there big cars anyways.Its a bit of a shame really they had to close down im sure holden/ford possible wont be far off doing the same(holden just reported a 6mill loss this year).

Good pic up though,nothing better than the good feeling of getting something for a good price

If it's anything like my old TR you should have a good run.
The TR was the "second shape" - the model before your shape.
I bought it new in 1992. An SE manual 4 cylinder. Wasn't too bad for power (within reason) certainly had no trouble pulling a trailer with a ton of firewood on the odd ocaission! Same with a family of four adults and luggage (The TR had more rear legroom than the more recent models).
I put 300,000k's on it in ten years without a whimper. Never had the engine apart - except for one noisy valve lifter (cost me $26 to fix).
Never had the injectors cleaned, when I sold the car the clutch had not been touched (yeah, 300,000 k's - steep driveway, trailer loads of firewood and all!).
I paid $24000 for it - new, and when I sold it, it's book price was $2600. With 300,000 k's on it - I asked $7,000 and the guy who bought it offered me $6800. Done deal.
I still see it around, still going strong.
I have had a few cars in my 39 years of driving, The TR was by far the best.

i hated them as well but i got my misses a tf 98 for 2500 not long ago and no drahmas on her. she runs sweet touch wood, but even say the motor went you can get another one for even cheaper.

I never saw that car in the U.S., but it's a nice car. It looks somewhat like the Mitsubishi Galant that we have here, except the front bumper and some minor details. It'll be fun if you boost that car. The FWD can be oversteered if it's too powerful. But the advantage is its steering is lighter than RWD for crisper handling.

I thought you could get them there, but they're called a Diamante?
Lextreme said:
Nice shape car.... rims match the car well

Thanks, the rims are actually the factory standard on this VRX model.

Cars seem to be a lot cheaper in US from what i've seen, just for FYI (US guys) the price I paid is really really cheap for something of that age and calibre.

for a vrx, that is an aweome price.

My mate had a tj magna s2 "Sports" in manual a few years ago for around 18k ish.. tho never being a fan of magna's it did very much impress. He now has a 03 xr6, and still pefrears the Magna to the Falcon.