intercooler core for intake manifold

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

SuperRunner

I am looking for a place to get a core for a custom water/air intercooler but I have no idea where to get one. Only think I have found are complete kits including manifold. I just need the core.

he is making his own manifold, using the lower runners and a custom top box.
Be sure to make sure the water passess along the bottom half of the manifold first, then moving upwards.
This is the best method for colling the charge air :)

So here is my idea so far.

I found a trans cooler that I can fit inside the manifold. I would carve out two pieces of 1/2" aluminum to fit the two trans coolers. Since the pipes on the coolers are smaller, it would run through both coolers at the some time doubling flow.

I will post some pictures about what I am thinking. I would rather just find a core like Bullet uses. It doesn't look very thick, pipes are larger and it is a better fit.

Im not sure of the efficiency of transcooler is really up to the job, it would work, but wouldnt provide anywhere near the cooling properties of a proper A2W core.
How about a copper cored heater matrix from a car ? or an AC matrix ?
What are the dimensions inside the manifold for a cooler ?

What I have right now is 12"x5x1/2" If I stacked them, I would have 1" thick. The thicker I go the more I have to raise my charger.

From this picture here, that core cannot be very thick

Int-cool-2.jpg

Whats the downside of running a slim, efficient copper cooler and simply utilize a massive multi gallon reservoir to help "distribute" the heat evenly per/cc of water. I was thinking of this idea when I built my computer's water cooling system. I noticed a drop of a few degrees (centigrade) by only increasing the reservoir capacity. I used an automotive heater core as my computer's radiator.

Also, I know it's a little hairbrained but would routing the A/C refrigerent in/out of the intercooler help any?

Not to hijack your thread, but why not just a simple M/W system?

Advantages:
1) No heat soak
2) Can reduce charge air temps lower than either A/A or W/A
3) Reduces possibility of preignition
3) Easier installation than either A/A or W/A

Disadvantages:
1) Requires periodic refilling

the more water you add the more weight you add !
but thats about the only downside, the more water, the longer it takes to exchange the heat into it.
I considered using the aircon matrix INSIDE the manifold, turned on constantly it should cool the air a great deal.
I know the aircon pump saps power, but surely the power added outweights the drain !?

You have a point about the weight. But I guess you could place it anywhere in/on the car you wanted so it could help balance it out (10gal jug riding shotgun?).

You mean route the air conditioning lines/ports in and out of the cooler right? I always wanted to know if the 5hp drain would really be that big of a deal considering your dealing with real refrigeration thats for the most part replenished instead of burned like W/M. Plus your not really adding any weight to the car, the components were originally there from the factory but I suppose you sacrifice a creature comfort but thats it. And you could turn it on and off to raise MPG for cruising!

just my $0.02

Last edited:
You might want to consider a stacked plate & fin cooler to get more cooling area without the tube passes on the ends.

These people: http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/m...Code=coolers&gclid=CNCloNqA_Z8CFQ0fswodXC7Clg carry a good assortment of coolers and their prices are great. I purchased a Long TruCool (same as B&M but half the price) transmission cooler from them 7 years ago and haven't had a moment's trouble with it:

I just found something that will work great, and it was cheap. $40 heater core from autozone. model number 9304.

9.4 x 7.5 x 2"

core is 7.1 x 7.5' x 1.7"

High density tube and fin with end tanks. Just have to weld the tubes in a different spot since they come out of the top of the end tank instead of the end.