Project Thread sc400 with M90 and water/air intercooler

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
That was TT mate, will never see that from a pissy M90. That's my point, you are expecting too much from a very basic setup and comparing apples with oranges ...... saying the orange is better makes no sense?

Cubes with tech FTW every time. Once you start getting to where the 'engineered for torque' UZ chokes then yes, the JZ is the winner.....from all the JZs i have seen this doesn't happen until over 400rwkw....even then i'm doing that on 17psi and they are well over 20psi on laggy big turbos.

Don't get me wrong, i love the 2J and about the best factory engineered engine out there, just doesn't really shine above the rest until over 400rwkw. Coincidentally, that's about when it starts to pip the RB26 as well.

Anyways, if you don't like the UZ then stay with the JZ?. Plenty of proven UZs out there though and Lextreme is a pretty good place to see what will do what eh?

So you say you got 265rwkw at 6.5psi? That would be what, 344rwhp? I have yet to see someone push that much HP on a supercharger, especially with stock ECU, stock exhaust.

Sorry, but my supra felt much more powerful at the same boost. Maybe if the sc400 was turbocharged instead, it would feel a bit better, but the loss from driving the belt really sucks. This will definatly be my last roots supercharger setup.

Just FYI, I hit an honest (corrected to STP) 410 BHP @ 15-16 psi on the engine dyno with my 1UZ and Opcon-Autorotor setup, and we hadn't really begun to tune it. This was with stock exhaust & stock cams, but aftermarket (AEM) ECU and 460cc injectors, along with M/W injection.

Next time, with Lextreme cams, S&S headers and a more reasonable compression ratio, we hope to see well over 500 which was my goal for this motor.

You're right about the belt losses being a PITA, but there's no way you're going to get the grunt out of a turboed 2JZ that you'll get with a supercharged 1UZ.

If you're after high end HP however, a turboed 1UZ probably would be a better choice than a supercharged UZ.

Justen, I am not saying I don't like the 1UZ, I am saying I don't like the 1UZ with an M90. Even an M12 I don't think I would care for. If I ever did a supercharged UZ again, it would definatly be TWIN SCREW!!! I would probably go twin turbo first. I think a twin GT35R in my wifes Sequoia would be fun.

I was just expecting a bit more punch from the M90 I guess. I was thinking solid burnout for like 50 feet. There is an M90 housing out there that would support more flow, but costs $1200. Not really worth it.

cribbj, I hit 380 in my GS300 on stock compression at 11psi. Stock ECU+piggy back for fuel.

I really think(know) that one of the best ways to unlock power from the 1UZ is port work and cams. The motor just won't respond as well to boost until the low flowing head problem is fixed. If only I had more time.....if only(as I ponder for a few moments, then crash back down hard to REALITY). Oh well.:grumble:

You're right, and I'd like to add even at low end, the same boosted 1UZ will win the Supra. More tq and hp due to the bigger displacement.

Well, I will probably have both my SC400 and GS300(9.3:1 compression) running at the same time. Both weight about the same. I will set them both to 7psi and see who wins. GS300 has been converted to manual though, which might give a slight advantage. We will see. 0-60 the SC400 will win, but I think the GS300 will slowly catch up.

Attachments

• IMG_5949.jpg
    IMG_5949.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 8
Justen, I am not saying I don't like the 1UZ, I am saying I don't like the 1UZ with an M90. Even an M12 I don't think I would care for. If I ever did a supercharged UZ again, it would definatly be TWIN SCREW!!! I would probably go twin turbo first. I think a twin GT35R in my wifes Sequoia would be fun.

I was just expecting a bit more punch from the M90 I guess. I was thinking solid burnout for like 50 feet. There is an M90 housing out there that would support more flow, but costs $1200. Not really worth it.

cribbj, I hit 380 in my GS300 on stock compression at 11psi. Stock ECU+piggy back for fuel.

I really think(know) that one of the best ways to unlock power from the 1UZ is port work and cams. The motor just won't respond as well to boost until the low flowing head problem is fixed. If only I had more time.....if only(as I ponder for a few moments, then crash back down hard to REALITY). Oh well.:grumble:

Yeah fair enough.

No question head work will unleash some gains but don't sell short what a completely stock setup will do. Thus far over 400rwkw on 17psi and with the new intake (which is a bigger issue than both head flow and cams) i reckon i will match that on significantly less boost. TT FTW :)

I also sit around 4700ft in elevation. That doesn't seem to have much effect on turbo's but that is due to efficiency. I am sure on roots supercharger, elevation has a much larger impact on performance.