intercooler core for intake manifold

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
To make it work anywhere near efficinetly you need to be able to make the air flow flow through all of the matrix.

If you look at the sipercharger outlet and how close the matrix is to it yoiu can see the far corners of the matrix won't see much air going through it.

I run W2A on my Opcon with this spacer plate

It passes through an external W2A intercooler and is plumbed back into the manifold.

The advantage of this is all the air is distributed through the intercooler matrix and the air flow is evened out coming into the manifold.

Attachments

• DSCN2638.JPG
    DSCN2638.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
My thoughts on the using that type of setup with maybe an air/air might end up causing another issue.

Since superchargers are a positive displacement hot air dryer, the larger the volume of air to compress the worse it could be.

Is it harder to keep say 2 cubic feet of air compressed vs .5 cubic feet?

You're right it is a belt driven hair dryer just like a turbo is a gas driven hair dryer.

The amount of air in the inlet won't alter the heating of the air.

A good experiment to see how your set up will flow is to point your airline at the matrix the same distance the supercharger outlet is away from the matrix.

Press and trigger and see how much (or little) flows through the edges of the matrix. Near enough to bugger all.

There isn't enough distance from the charger to the matrix to allow the airstream to spread enough. You end up using a small percentage of the matrix to do all the cooling.

I know the cool water from the unused section will flow under the airstream at some time but so much air will flow through that little bit of the matrix the cooling benefit will be negligable.

Have you looked at a Lightning or Cobra intercooler. They're 30mm (1') long 100mm (4") wide and 100mm (4") thick. Simply the air won't be in contact with the matrix long enough.

Bryan,

The divider plate was machined up by Richwood Technologies. It wasn't cheap and I know Andrew lost a heap on the job and says he wouldn't make another.

You're right it is a belt driven hair dryer just like a turbo is a gas driven hair dryer.

Two different thing. A turbo actually compresses the air in between the blades of the compressor. As the air leaves the housing it actually decompresses(which also helps cooling the air). This is why twin screw and turbos are more effecient that roots and where the "positive displacement" as it has to maintain the pressure in the entire intake system.

I understand the area of the matrix though, most of the air will hit a small portion of it. Each system has it's draw backs.

Here's what you need to do:
HemiBasicICKit007x800.jpg
The key is you need a very efficient liquid to air intercooler core which will be expensive but well worth it.
You can also use your air conditioning idea to cool the resevoir tank by running the A/C lines around it.
I've had a couple of custom liquid to air IC's made and they are awesome but not cheap.

Last edited:
that is basically what I got, less the twin screw, but I am only into it $150 so far.

Only problem is the pulley sticks out about 3" above the hood line. If you don't care about that, then no biggie. Gives a different look to the car no doubt about that, especially if I can find a HAT for it.

Seems from what I have seen recently on some builds is to mount an injector up stream from engine... It seems to have better cooling effect than the normal EFI injection systems.. Blow through carb for example doesn't require any cooling...

I bought one like this for mine. This size would just fit inside the manifold. I like that the core is very dense because the area in the intake is fairly small. I realize that this may restrict flow somewhat, but that's what boost is for, right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/13-r...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

The only picture I could find showing the inside of mine is below. In the picture, you can see the shelf the cooler core will sit on. In this shot it is pulled all the way to the top, but when finished it was pushed down to just above the intake runners.

fab2.jpg

I have yet to install the cooler into the manifold, though. I am really eager to get it in now that the car is running. I'm getting 12 lbs of boost at 4000 RPM, but I haven't installed an intake temp gauge yet.

Mark