Dual Intake

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
jibbby said:
Wow, I have never seen that before, too bad it's giving your mate problems... Three electric fans also is a first for me to see.

Riva.....What is that? It looks like a sandrail with an 1UZ-FE engine in it?..Cool... I would assume if your mate is using the stock MAF which it looks like he is not that setup probably won't perform too much better then stock, not much I would think anyway. The MAF appears to me to be the most restrictive part of the 1uz-fe intake.
3 fans are duals for radiator and the single is gearbox cooler.

Its not in a sand rail, its in an offroad buggy a little smaller than the one we're building.

Its running an M800 Motec, so its running MAP not MAF.

He's not really impressed with the TB. He said its definately snappier on throttle (still with stock cams) so he likes the performance, but with the butterfly bushed instead of running on bearings he's worried its going to wear and leak. It stuck on 1/4 throttle, but that was due to the mud we race in more than anything else.

166g1.jpg

lowboost said:
Rivmasta, please show us more pictures of your dune buggy! And motor shots!
Full build history of the car is here: http://offroadracing.com.au/sorra/build_Wolf.htm Its my baby. Unfortunately the only motor shots have either a 16v or 20v engines in there! We only decided to go 1uz about a month back, so we have to redo engine mounts, gearbox mounts, bigger tyres now (35's) so we have to change some of the suspension geometry, shock mounts blah blah blah. The 1uz hasnt even gone onto the *$#*(ing engine stand yet!

To get back OT - I didnt realise the stock TB was 70mm. - another option would be 90mm LS1 TB wouldnt it? Has anyone tried it?

Still think Im going to go with dual stock ones... but we are now thinking of mounting them on top and run them vertically straight down into the chamber.

Reason 1 is because we have the space and the area where the stock TBs come out the side will be used to mount coilpacks.

My question to all is, would you get a better (ie more direct) air flow running them straight down into the top of hte chamber?

Very cool!!! and that buggy must rip....with the weight almost being nothing on a buggy I can only imagine......I am more familiar with sandrails as they are more popular here in California (states) then probably most other places...We have sand Dunes 100feet and more for miles, the place is called Pismo Beach... I use to run my 74 landcruiser with a built 327 motor and rancho, etc...and got destroyed regularly by the sandrails and lighter weight buggies... The rails would stroll in with built Chevy and Ford small and big blocks, and these rails would kick up sand spray 50 feet or more with these sand cup tires....If they rolled it was usually from front over end...and not sideways.... Buggies were ok but could not come close to the rails...

Anyway congrats on your buggy very nice!!!

Gary,
I would think two t'b pointing straight down would save the air making a 90degree turn along the way. Every little bit helps.

I'd be careful that the t'b's are centred over the runners so you weren't feeding one with mre air than the other.

If you need a spare plenum I have one for you gratis. Unfortunately I don't have a spare t/b but know where you may get one.

CHeers Rod,

Will PM you with where and when and drop in for another visit! also get details on where to get the other TB.

Question: With Dual TB's does it matter where you draw the output line for the vac line for MAP?

Peewee said:
MAP line goes in the plenum not on to the TB!
err... I think I need to rephrase a bit!

If I have a the vac line in the end of the plenum where it is now it will be right next to one of the TB coming in. Would this be less accurate than having it in the middle of the plenum where it would be between the two TB's?

lowboost said:
wow am I right or does that picture of the V8 in the buggy on page 1 have drive by wire?

jeff
Naa, its not drive by wire, its the TPS you're looking at. Cable driven on other side of TB.

rivmasta said:
If I have a the vac line in the end of the plenum where it is now it will be right next to one of the TB coming in. Would this be less accurate than having it in the middle of the plenum where it would be between the two TB's?
I don't see it being a problem.
My MAP line is at the rear of the plenum, and the tune has been fine.

With the Dyno Dynamics map sensor teed off the FPR line (at the front of the plenum) there was about 2kPa difference at idle. Not a huge amount.

I'll leave it where it is then.

Cheers Peewee! We've got a good start on ours - may be hassling you with more Q's very soon!

I would stab my own mother in the back for that motor. And then of course build my own manifolds and TT it.

(I wouldn't really stab my mother...)

Yes... but not with the 1uz in it! We cant afford to run ProClass in nationals, so when we run the Finke (not till 08) it'll be a ProLite.

Why? everyone seems to get excited about all these potential 'upgrades' when no one has assessed if the stock single is gonna limit them in any way.

Bigger isn't always better. A larger single can potentially give you major driveability issues as it's much harder to tune. Small throttle movements cause proportionally much larger changes in flow than a smaller throttle...can either result in too twitchy a throttle or horribel flat spots depending on your ECU and tune.

Mutiple throttle bods are a nightmare and in my opinion belong on the track or only very highly tuned n/a engines trying to squeeze all available hp. Just keeping things in sync is a full time job.

The stock throttle body is proven good for around 700hp and theoretically quite a bit more. Where's the logic in messing with that? If it ain't broke.....

That was one of my points...it's all much harder. You NEED a decent ECU and also a great tuner...even then there comes a point where even that combo won't help. And all for what????

For the guys chasing 1000+hp, well they 'possibly' have to go that way but how many here are seriously looking at that much hp? With a demonstrated 388+rwkw that you can't use 99% of the time i have to ask why.

Spend money on bits that need it i say. Once again, if it ain't broke????