Another (Vertical) Dual Intake

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

rivmasta

Started our dual intake setup on the weekend.

I have to start by saying a HUGE thanks to Zuffen who supplied a second plenum chamber we could use to cut up to get the snout off. Thanks thanks thanks!!!

Basic Setup: Dual stock TBs setup vertically at each end of the plenum, directly over the intake runners. Second TB will be activated by heim and rod type setup linked to the first. Custom belmouth rams from TB's to air filter, air filtering done by old school type oval filter such as below on a base plate we'll make ourselves.

Throttle bodies will be either cut below traction contrl butterfly or that system removed and welded up.
KN56-1210.jpg

Advantages: (That we think exist anyway!) More air (obviously!), more direct pathway for air to pass into runners at bottom, belmouth inside of air filter at top for smoother flow and better velocity.

Disadvantages: With the air cleaner setup on top it is going to use up some space... not a disadvantage with our buggy, but you'd need holes punched through the bonnet for a street car!

Please feel free to throw stones! Preferrable suggestions though!

Progress so far: Picked up second plenum and stripped off plenum from our engine. Found it had less casting dags etc internally on runners so we used that one to modify.

Carefully cut Snout off good plenum using dremel and cutting discs basically copying the other sides dimensions so we can weld a flat plate into that cavity. Cut snout off the other plenum with a 9" angle grinder in approx 1/100 of the time of the first one! haha!

Milled off the fins on the top of the plenum at one end to have a square surface to mount snout to. Bit different on the other end due to the tapered section where the badge goes on. We milled off the corners of the fins to the same angle as the tapered section.

Milled the snount bases; square for the non tapered side then on an angle for the tapered side so that the end result is that they are both perfectly square and at the same height.

Dropped the snouts into the right spot then marked internally to mill out the holes. Centreline of the TB is on the centreline between runners at each end. Note that as the snout is more square than round at the plenum end you cant just push a hole saw through it! Also because of the taper on one end the two shapes cut into the plenum are not the same. Result: an hour on the mill very carefully cutting out the holes then cleaning it up with a dremel.

Next step: Our tig guy will be welding the plate on over the cavity and welding on the snouts next week (too busy at the moment) as well as welding up all unessary cavities in the plenum, IE cold start injector, EGR etc.

Total cost:
$0 2nd Plenum (thanks again zuffen!)
?? 2nd TB
$25 Material to make rams with belmouths
?? Air Cleaner (which we would have to have bought one anyway)
$Case for using mates lathe/mill and getting him to do the tig work.

Pics will be up tomorrow (forgot to bring in flash card)

Pics:

Both plenums - The one we're using is on the left.

dual_intake_1.jpg

Top has been milled and marked, ready to mill out holes
dual_intake_2.jpg

Hole milled out with snout in place - I'd think thats pretty good proximity and path way to runners!
dual_intake_3.jpg

Side shot before I did final square off of the 2 snouts.
dual_intake_4.jpg

Update on cost:
Total cost:
$0 2nd Plenum (thanks again zuffen!)
$10 2nd TB postage (Thanks Edz!)
$25 Material to make rams with belmouths
?? Air Cleaner (which we would have to have bought one anyway)
$32 for a case (for using mates lathe/mill and getting him to do the tig work)

Very interesting concept. Keep us updated. Would it be easier if you make three intake instead? Just get a regular intake and add two additional adaptor on top.

Im guessing that its probably easier to do it this way as zero backlash throttle actuators are easy to setup. We're only running one large aircleaner as well.

Better flow velocity this way? not sure... not a physicist! but it seems plausible to my feeble grey mush.

Yeah - have to admit with most of the guys I race against, those with v8's run chevs, fords, p76s - basically lots and lots of pushrods.

I wanted technology and reliablilty with respectable tq and hp (here's my cake... yum yum yum!) but I love that old school look of twin holleys... thats actually the idea that started this project!

Dont know about poking through the bonnet of a soarer though!

Anyone seen a pro-stock lexus?

Should be very interesting when power testing phase take place,I often wondered how much improvement a more diect air intake like this will yield..nice work rivmasta.As for the hole through the bonnet...those A9x bonnet scoop would look good..lol

hehe - sorry Peewee, We've been working on other racecars!

Our tig guy will be welding it up on Saturday, so I should have pics on Monday. Edz is posting over another TB, JNT Performance is quoting on the rams, Filter will be K&N with a base plate we'll make ourselves.

:)

Woohoo! I'll have piccis next weekend.

Had all the tig work done on the weekend... had a few issues (not sure if it was due to dirt/oil being brought out of the cast, or alcohol intake of the guy working on it) but it is sealed... its just not pretty. :( I'll be taking to it with a dremel during the week.

Not to be a party pooper , but i mouted twin ITBs on my engine and this did not make the slightest of differnce. I onsold this unit onto F40 NZ and they quoted the same result on standard engine setup with aftermarket ECU

I cant say Im surprised that it makes no difference to a stock engine. The stock 70mm TB is a decent size for a 4.0L anyway isnt it?

Ive got a mate who did exhaust and cams on his racecar and kept the stock TB and went racing. He said it made some difference, but reckons he only really reaped the benefits once he went to the 100mm TB. The larger cfm made a real 'seat of the pants' difference to the car, ie using a higher gear than previous on some corners, quicker off the line etc.

The engine this plenum is being built for will be a good mild setup, we're doing intake, cams, extractors and slightly higher compression.

At the end of the day on a stock motor I'd still do it anyway because it looks sexy!

Woohoo! 2nd TB just arrived!

Cheers Edz!

The guy I race with picked up the filter element yesterday so the only purchase left is the rams, but there's still a fair bit of work to do.

What sort of cams have you got in the car, and also where and how much?
sorry to be a pain.

I was also looking at doing the twin TB set-up on my V8. you can purchase a kit from Bullet super cars.
was quoted $1200, one on either side.

Attachments

• HPIM0006.JPG
    HPIM0006.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Picture_104.jpg
    Picture_104.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 5
  • HPIM0089.JPG
    HPIM0089.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 27
To start with the first engine will be good extractors (if slightly too big as they're being designed for the next engine), slightly higher comp (via thin gaskets), dual intake, bosch CDI ign and vernier cam gears with a good tune... while we're learning to drive it without breaking gearboxes we'll start on the race motor which will probably be:

dual intake, extractors, ign system, cam gears off engine above with
11.5:1 comp
3 way (or poss 5) valve job
cc'd
port matched
balanced
ARP rod bolts
larger injectors
cams will prob be 248 deg @ .050 intake and 240 deg @ 050 exhaust with 10.25mm lift
rev limit to 8k.

This may change due to rules coming out soon which affect our class, but this is our plan at th emoment. Its being designed to be basically a reasonably budgeted, reliable, but above all torquey engine and we'll carry the first engine with us the spare (assuming we dont blow it up!). Note though that this unbuilt and therefore untested - it only exists in virtual form in EAP so dont take it as gospel!

Cams will be kelfords at about $1200 USD. Check them out here: http://www.camshaftshop.com/camshafts/view/27/toyota-camshaft/

as for price for the dual intake... so far its cost me $10, a days work/running around and a case of beer and its basically finished other than cleaning up the TB's (port match the holes in the TB, remove excess crap off TB with dremel) and mounting the filter. The low $$$ is all thanks to help from mates and guys on this site.

Filter cost me $140 - bit more exe than a KN pod but not by much. Ram tubes (or bellmouth on top of TBs, not sure which yet) will cost from $100 to $200.

Hope this helps! (Nice to be helpfull rather than being the helped!)

Got a bit more done last night - cutting off unrequired bits and pieces off of the TB's, cleaning up welds etc.

These pics from when the TB's were first bolted on.

dual_intake_6.jpg

dual_intake_5.jpg