Buying a truck what would you get?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
I guess too many SC's have been sold in the past and they just keep running...Too much supply and not enough demand I guess....

It seems that the demand for their motors is growing quite a bit. :bigok:

Hopefully their cheap initial cost will contribute to growing aftermarket support on a larger scale than it currently is.

I'd go for a 4-Runner by all means. I've driven 2 4-Runners in the past and I love them.

1) The 4-Runner beats the heck out of the Xterra on all points, smoothness, more power, look, and more heavy duty.

2) It might lose to the Montero on the smoothness, but the Montero is just too sissy for off-roading and towing.

3) It can lose the comfort (space & smoothness) to the Land Cruiser, but the Land Cruiser might still give the same accelleration as the 4-Runner because it's heavier. I don't think the Land Cruiser can tow more than 5000 lbs but the 4-Runner's limit. You can also have fun all day long on the mountains or desert with the 4-Runner, while I doubt the LC is heavy duty for off-roading.

The 4-Runner's advantages as described above including the MPG (well not really when it can consume 16 MPG for local and around 20 for highways). Its ride isn't too harsh if comparing to the truck. This is the trick to make it smooth. Run it on 4x4 on the time and I guarantee you the ride will be a lot smoother. Also, replace the stock shocks to Tokico shocks (about $250) and you'll see a big difference in smoothness.

The disadvantage of running 4x4 is the speed limit at 95 mph, and the MPG. The MPG can drop down to 14 MPG.

As Cribbj said, women won't like this ride because they're more like trucks. Anyway, I like it a lot so I bought my Tacoma with the same engine as the 4-Runner, and similar ride like it.

Steve, gotta disagree with you on many points even though alot of it is personal choice...

Landcruiser vs. 4 runner -

As far as the power comparisons are concerned the Landcruisers offer more torque and power then the same year 4runners..Yes, the 4runners are much lighter which makes it more unstable and unsafe when driving..Luxury goes to the LC... Also the off road capabilities and towing capacity in stock form goes in favor of the landcruisers...If I remember correctly the 93-97 cruiser can carry 4000lbs alone in cabin which is crazy.... The suspensions are extremely beefy and mostly every part on the Landcruiser is built stronger and better then the 4runners... Longevity has got to go to the Landcruisers as well...

Montero vs. 4runner - Luxury, smoothness, and the drive itself is better in the Montero...Looks may go to the 4 runners though...Off roading I think the Montero may be better... They are good off roading vehicles if you can believe that or not... The 2001 loaded Montero has more power and all the off roading bells and whistle and more so then the 2002 4-runners....Longevity and maintenance seems to go to the 4-runner though... So got to give it to the 4 runners is some areas but not in all..

Xterra vs. 4 runner... Equal in many ways, weight, power, size... Of course the Toyota is proven to make better cars and trucks over Nissan..However the Pathfinder won 4X4 of the year a couple years running and I don't see the Xterra's being much different..I am sure the Xterra can hold it's own...Inside cabin may be a little nicer in the 4 runner though, the Xterra's are very basic and generic.....I would say it's a close one between these two...Maintenance, resale value, and longevity goes to the 4 runner...

That's my take after looking and driving all the trucks... Landcruiser is the best of the bunch in my opinion overall and not just becaue I owned one either..They are built the strongest for sure...

Xr8tt - you have a sense of humor, I like that....Did you see the 2jz swap?

I was riding in a Montero once and the spark plugs were starting to change themselves, thought the thing had thrown a rod!
I would also lean towards the Landcruiser.
(btw the older 4-Runners were improved with a 3.4 sometime towards the end...)

Can the landcruisers get it done in the dirt and mud? A couple of offroading cruiser pics... I actually owned a FJ40 years back that looked identical to the one in the pic to the left...Could climb stuff like that and more, but the secret was the 300hp Chevy small block motor sitting under the hood... Oh, I miss that off road beast...

Good choice on the LC. I had a 1997 LX450, and it was a great vehicle. I wish I still had it. Inline six is very easy to work on, and if you ever have the urge, turbocharging should be pretty straight forward.

Here in North Africa, the LandCruiser is king. Just can't beat them for low maintenance and longevity. I have 60,000 kM's on mine and nothing's been done to it over the last 5 years except oil and air filter changes, 2 batteries and 3 sets of tires. That's saying a lot in our environment where our temps in the summer hit 135 and it's just sand, sand and more sand. (see photo below)

There are a few Nissan Patrols around, but they don't last very long.

The British owned companies around here went with Land Rovers for a time, but those POS's tend to self-destruct if you look at them cross-eyed, so even the Brits have returned to LandCruisers.

Actually my 93 FJ80 Cruiser I don't think I ever serviced...It ran up too 210,000 before overheating...It's got to be one of the most reliable trucks on the planet... The engine and tranny are stout as hell...

You can take them just about anywhere in stock form too with the diff. lock up function, although the ground clearance is sometimes an issue...

Some of the best rock climber trucks in the world are made out of the FJ40 cruisers...

Jibby, I would have to dissagree with you on a few points on LC vs 4runners.

I have owned 4 LC's and my dad 6(2 FJ80's). And I have owned 5 4runners.

The 95-older 4runners are pretty much crap for power, and would never buy one for a DD. Now, 96-newer 4runners with the 3.4, those have plenty of power. The wieght of the LC definatly offsets the weight of the vehicle. The 4runner will give you a MUCH better ride as it is IFS and the LC is Solid Axle. LC's are also quite unstable compared to a 96-newer 4runner, and in windy situations, the LC gets pushed around quite a bit.

If you do go the LC route, get a 94-newer. The engines came with DOHC. Get more power and better gas mileage. Also came with electric lockers.

One BIG advantage to the the LC is the passenger seating. 4runner is 5, LC is 7.

I myself am on the lookout for a 94-newer LC, but I have a reason for that....TOP SECRET!!!!

Overall.....for a good reliable DD, the 96-Newer 4runner wins hands down IMHO...unless you need extra seating...and they are cheaper.

I didn't know they made a suttle change in the landcruiser engine in 1995...Being that they weigh alot and are AWD, the more power the better....

Still I think the Cruisers being that they are heavier and have a slightly wider wheel base offers a bit more ground stability over the smaller and lighter weight 4 runners... That's just my take after owning a 1993 Cruiser for ever and driving the 2002 4 runner for two weeks...

I really don't like the newer cruisers all that much, that is the 98 and newer models..My brother owns a 1998 cruiser loaded and I also had the chance to drive it around alot...It is really heavy but smoothe and very luzurious..It also offers the V8 uz motor... Even with the V8 motor it didn't pack enough power for me, very close in excellation compared to my mod'd 1993 cruiser.....Gutless V8 power in my opinion... The ride is too foo foo too.... They sit low to the ground, I personally don't like the body style all the much, and they really eat the gas up.... I like the 95-98 LC models better.... The Lexus LX450 is pretty much the same truck too...

Also my brother has experienced a few mechanical failures with the 98 Cruiser...Brake booster went out at 90,000 miles, a couple of in cabin air leaks and rattles... etc...

Stock for stock, I'd say that any 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Generation 4Runner would beat *most* any other SUV of similar characteristics.

I've done some pretty stupid things with my 4Runner since I got it, but it has been more reliable than I ever thought it would be. With an oil change, I wouldn't hesitate to take it across the country tomorrow.

In addition to the 4Runner being an incredibly reliable vehicle, I've really got to point out the fact that it has excellent weight distribution for off-road driving. It's the kind of vehicle that is easy and predictable to drive through hairy/scary obstacles.

I feel the 4-runners are not as reliable and long lasting as the Landcruisers... They are built heavy, stronger, in every way compared to the 4-runners...One of many examples is - Just the difference in girth with the 4.5L inline six motor which is proven to last a very long time compared to v6 4-runner motors that usually start experiencing vavle noise and problems around 150,000 miles or so...

Valve noise? Never heard of that and I am on TTORA (Tacoma web board). Been on it for several years.

Most often people wreck their V6 Tacomas before hittin too high of miles.

Sound like your partial to the land cruiser, go for it then.

Well the 90's model 4runners that I use to buy and sell at my former car dealership always seem to have excessive valve noise with around that 150,000mile mark...Maybe the newer ones won't have the same problems but the older ones did have those issues...Suspension wear out was another issue..Transmission would over heat on few when overloading the vehicle and going up mountains.. This was typical on several of the 95 model 4 runners.... I most have bought and sold atleast 30 of them with high miles.....

Tacomas are great trucks, and I am not partial to the land cruisers. I just like them more.. Re-sall value holds well with the 4 runners though, maybe even more so then the Landcruisers...