Buying a truck what would you get?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jibbby

I've been determined to buy an SUV in the last couple of days since my SC400 died and it has come down to this...My Budget is $6000

1) 1996 Toyota Landcruiser AWD 4.6l inline six..140,000miles in decent shape runs good and has been maintained..A few dings and a few scratces....Color White, and loaded $6000

2) 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLT, 4x4 110,000 miles, Super clean, loaded, tan in color, leather the works...Runs great and has been serviced.. $6000

3) 2002 Nissan Exterra 2x4, 115,000miles, nice in and out..Owned by a mechanic and it appears the car has been maintained properky. Color Green (yuck) It needs nothing...$5500

4) 1998 Toyota 4 runner - 6 banger, dings, one dent, cloth interior and runs good, 2x4, 130,000miles, color Tan...$5000...

I was about pull the trigger on the Montero, but Lex has brought it to my attention those trucks are lemons... Now I am thinking about the landcruiser but the fuel economy is a big deterant but it is probably the most reliable and comfortable ride out of the group.....

What would you guys get for the money?...Looking for a daily driver, an SUV truck to carry crap in and go on road trips, decent gas mileage, and a nice looking ride to pick up chicks in (yeah right)...Anyway, any input would be appreciated...

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLT is a terrible SUV. It will cost you $400 to change the spark plugs. Oh... that is just labor..... Get the LC.... You should of fix your LC and save yourself $3,000 or if you have sold it to me then I can lead it to you right now.... LOL

what happened to your SC??

I blew the tranny out again....Too much torque and heat...I give up on these Sc400 automatic trannies it's my second to go in two years.....

Lex - A horrible SUV, wow...I've owned a few Montero's in years past and they were always solid off roading and fairly reliable...I guess the newer ones are trouble what a shame...

I'd also stay away from the 4-Runner.

I really don't know how these trucks sell so well - they're cramped, they ride like a, uh, truck I guess, but worse. They have a high CG so they don't inspire you with confidence driving it in bad weather.

I've not spoken with a single 4-Runner owner who really liked the vehicle after he/she bought it.

I had a 98 4Runner and a 99 4 Runner and I liked both just fine. Did a lot of towing with them (4500 pounds boat & trailer)

The cruiser is nice but pricey to maintain compared to the 4Runner. They eat brakes pretty regularly and are a pain to work on.

4 Runner are not bad. I like the car and have pretty good go power.
Xterra is pretty good also. Just don't know how reliable is it though.

Well actually the 4 runner and the Xterra are small tiny feel rides... I have to agree with Cribbj on this... I test drove them all and the Cruiser and Montero are the smoothest and offer the most luxury.....The Landcruiser has the most solid feel out of all of them...

Boosted yes the Cruisers eat up the brakes, and they don't have very good braking power to boot...D/S rotors and new Toyota pads would be the first mod to consider...

I think I will go with the Cruiser...After all I owned a 1993 4.5L cruiser for 8 years...It was the most reliable ride I have ever owned until she blew...

The Montero probably looked the best though, and was definetely the newest looking truck out of the bunch...It drove great and had all the bells and whistles... I am still undecided between the Cruiser and the Montero...

Lex you say it is $450 just to change the plugs on the Montero...Do you know anything about the overall reliability of the Montero?....It's funny it was the same with Nissan 300zx TT's I use to own...A monster to work on and expensive too...

That was a typo...Correction 1996 Landcruiser 4.5L engine 24 valves...Not 4.6L....

Not the most powerful of motors in a sense, but with a few exhaust mods and an intake the truck will move adequately and will have the feel of a small V8 motor.... That's what I did to my 93 cruiser...

I personally like the 4Runners. As my username says, I've got a 91 4Runner. In 1996, they converted to the 5VZ-E, a 3.4L DOHC 24-valve engine. It became a very popular swap for guys with the second generation 4Runners and can have over 300 horsepower with bolt-ons (TRD Supercharger, etc). They also converted to struts in front (replaced the torsion bars in 1996) to improve the ride.

It may not be the most comfortable ride compared to other SUV's, but it's a rugged, dependable truck to say the least.

91 4X4runner, try driving a solid Landcruiser....Night and day when comparing..... The landcruisers are far more superior automobile in just about every way when comparing to the smaller and lighter weight 4 runners...

The 4runners however are good for what they are, that is why I almost considered buying one...

Not to knock the 4-Runner - it must have its good points because they certainly sell well; it's just that all the people I've known who had one couldn't wait to get rid of it. Granted, now that I think of it, they were all women, who probably bought the truck for the wrong reasons.

In my daughter's case, she bought one because she thought it was a hip looking little truck. Hers had a moonroof, rims, oversize tires, a ghetto blasting sound system, etc. It scared her to death out on the highway, and she finally put it in a ditch on I-10 when it hydroplaned in a typical Louisiana/Texas downpour. She now drives a boring little Camry, but is much happier and feels much safer.

Yeah, I think the newer 4-runners look decent though...They are just not a heavy solid car by any means of the imagination..Not to safe for collisions...A little crampy on the inside and bit unconfortable over the long hauls... I had the oportunity to drive a 2003 model V6 4runner 2x4 for two weeks when I was visiting my brother in Mississippi...Needless to say they aren't the most powerful of SUV vehicles either but I kinda liked how they looked......

Ironically I've been renting a new Toyota Camery during this last week and can't stand it...Tin bucket...Front wheel drive garbage in my opinion...

You're right, they aren't the best for collisions, they are VERY underpowered (the 3VZ-E 3.0L) is the biggest turd Toyota has designed (IMHO).

The 1GR-FE in the 2004-08+ 4Runners (4.0 V6) has some grunt though. Puts down 235hp stock. It gets decent fuel economy (my mom's gets 25MPG hwy) and sounds great at WOT. Out of the price range for a swap though.

Thanks for the info 91 4runner....I didn't know the 4 runners were upgraded in 2004... I guess if you were to buy one, the 2004 and up models are the ones to get...

Funny, the 1991 and 1992 Landcruisers were severly and grotestly underpowered and Toyota made the bigger motor change in 1993 to the bigger 4.5L inline 6 motors which stayed the same thru 1997...There was such a big difference in power between the 92 and 93 cruiser models.. I guess the same can be said about the 2003 and 2004 4-runners.....

Toyota then changed the Landcruiser motors again in 1998 to the uz... V8...

In our countries No comparison between the Landcruiser and 4Runer..
Go with Landcruiser if it has differential look function …….

Some landcruiser are equiped with the differential lockup function and some are not...It's an added feature here in the states atleast on the 93-97 models.....The 98 and newer cruisers have even more off-road features... I here the brand new FJ landcruisers are just sick for off roading...

It's funny because the newer the landcruisers become the more equiped they become for off road capacity, but they sit lower then the older ones and are too luxurous and expensive to go beat up on off road....Kind of a catch 22...

A Landcruiser it will be as I am suppose to pick it up on Monday....Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated.....

On a side note -

I just so happen to look at the SC400's for sale too, I am looking for one that is being parted out for a tranny...I just can't believe how cheap they are getting here in the States... It's a joke...

Example - I found a 1993 SC400 with 180,000 miles on Los Angeles - Craigs list, and it's black and clean...Say's everything works no dents, even 12 cd changer works and it is in perfect running condition...Asking price $2,900 obo.... The guy will probably take $2000 cash for anyone that maybe interested.. It's a joke how cheap these cars are becoming...

I guess too many SC's have been sold in the past and they just keep running...Too much supply and not enough demand I guess....