What is the best tranny setup for an sc400?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jibby

I have the engine down on these sc400 cars, but now it is time to learn about the tranny's. I race my sc400 on the street from time to time, with and without nos, and the shifts from the stock auto tranny are not always timely or sometimes delayed on a down shift. The auto tranny just doesn't always seem to get the most out of the power band on shifts at times. Any suggestions on getting the stock auto tranny to be more responsive and dialed in?

I have a dragon torque converter now and that takes care of my dead stop starts, and nos from second gear on if I need too. I would like to know if any people are swaping manual tranny's let's say like the supra tt in an sc400? I think I read somewhere the bellhousing doesn't hookup. Also, what exactly due larger valves do for the stock tranny, is that just to support more engine horsepower or make it perform better?

Anybody?:smileysex

Jibby, we're holding a group buy on the for a bellhousing that mates the 1uz-fe and MKIV Supra TT V160 tranny. : ) THe more people that are signed up, the cheaper that it will be. There's no need to pay now, this is just a sign up sheet. Please check it out when you have a chance because the more people that are in, the sooner it will happen.

The V160 would be the ultimate tranny for the 1/2/3uz-fe. Perfectly spaced ratios and pracitacally indestructable, in fact, I run 4 digit horsepower with my V160 twice a week. : )

http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?p=34614#post34614

Cowboy- thanks for the link, I am not yet sure that I want to switch to a manual supra tranny just yet, I really enjoy the automatic transmittion in traffic, it kinda makes the car a luxurysportscar rather then just a sportscar. Believe it or not I had the oportunity to buy a real nice supra tt turbo when I was shopping for a car, but I liked the room, stereo, and auto tranny in the sc400 so I gave up performance for luxury years back. So I am still trying to figure out what options are out their to help out a stock auto sc tranny. I hear a stand alone ecu helps the shifts, and I guess the bigger valves would help support with big HP, any shift kits out there, triptronic, anything? I am assuming this from my former experience with american Chevy tranny's, I really don't know anything about these lexus trannies other then that they are very reliable and long lasting. Any suggestions?

That's cool. Let me know if you'd like to make the switch. Remember that any sort of real HP is going to require a tranny swap. The Toyota auto-trannies are reliable to a point, but push them hard, and they give up the ghost quite readlily. On the MKIV Supra, right about 450rwhp, and their gone; especially in the 1-2 shift. I have a good friend that built his SC300 next to my Supra, and he is running the V160 6-speed. All of the luxury and all of the sport.

Eric

So cowboy you have a rude supra? Right on, that must be a blast to drive?

So Even with a transmittion cooler the MKIV Supra's are peaked out at 450rwhp, no more? Wow, a swap is eventually in order then I guess. So your telling me V160 6-speed would be the choice swap in a street driveble sc or ls 400? I do not know the numbers for trannies of the tranny's off hand, is the V160 6-speed the stock manual tranny for the sc300 or is that a stronger supra manual tranny, which everyone needs the bellhousing for? If you were me what would shoot for, my eventual goals for now with my sc400 is to achieve a true 500rwhp so what tranny would best suit that kind of hp and still allow me the luxury of taking out a fine girl on a dinner date with out giving her whip lash from a crazy tranny?

Really what we've foun din the MKIV community, is that your HP goals are only a turbo swap a away. If you have sufficient fuel supply, it's really your hearts desire as what sort of numbers you'll put down. I personally made 891rwhp with an older model first gen PTE74 turbo, then drove it 1000 miles to Louisiana from Orlando. Once you reach 500rwhp, you'll want 600, then 700 ect... : )

The V160 is the penticle in Toyota tranny swaps due to it's strength, drivability, and perfect gear ratios. If you want a true 500rwhp 1uz-fe (which should not be much of a problem) and you run a stock Lexus tranny, you may want to be prepared to change them out often. Even with the W58 5 speed, 500rwhp and you're pushing the ragged edge. There's the R154 tranny, but they're know to blow after a few hard shifts. No...the untimate goal in Toyota trannys is the V160. Let me say this. Ryan Woon recently ran an 8.99 et with a stock V160 6 speed. No problems. Saad Saad made 1492rwhp out of a stock V160 6 speed with no problems.

I take my girl out twice a week with the Supra 6 speed, and she's never gotten whiplash yet, except when I drop the hammer. If you're looking to make power and not have to worry about the tranny...ever....then the V160 is the Toyota tranny you want.

Thanks man,

Eric

Cowboy you da man! The V160 it will be!!!!! I appreciate all the info you just provided, it sounds like you know this all from experience, and I will take your word for it.

Now I have only driven one car with I believe near a true 500rwhp and that was a porchse c4 turbo, now granted that was 4 wheel drive with tripronic, and it pretty much felt like a go cart with juice, but at full throttle those 4 wheels did spinout a bit in 1rst gear and it was fast. Now I cannot even imagine 700, 800rwhp in a sc400 or Supra, with just rear wheel drive and an LSD, I would think anything over 700hp would be too much power for that light of a car, I meen at what point do the rear wheels just spinout throughout the first 4 gears at full throttle?

I know as far as my sc400 goes which is pushing maybe a little over 400hp on a good day and at full throttle from a dead start I get ridiculous wheel spin in the first gear and some good spinout in second as well with a torsen LSD. Now were talking about doubling that output, I just could not imagine, I would think anything over 600rwhp is just over kill on these cars. I guess I am wrong if you say Saad made 1492rwhp that is nuts!!!!!!! Now I would guess his tires at full throttle never stopped spinning out, he probably had to go half throttle in the car just to move down the road (via non spinout), if it is a Supra or sc. Sounds like fun anyway, Sick I tell you-.

Unfortunately for the Supra and especially the SC, weight is a factor. The Supra weighs in a 3400lbs, and the SC at 3600lbs. Not TOO heavy, but certainly not a 2000lb S13. It takes a lot to get it moving, so high HP is a must. At the point of 6,7,8,900rwhp, tire selection and suspension is the key because wheelspin and devastating wheel hop are always around the corner.

FWIW, 600rwhp is fun in these cars, but the first time you get passed, you want more. And with the V160, more is what you'll get. It's only a turbo swap, or a tune away. You'll never have to worry about the V160 in normal operation. So if you want to, head on into the group buy, and put your name on the list. The more that are in the better for everyone. And once they're made, the price will certainly go way up. Especially if the rest go to a national, or worldwide retailer.

Thanks man,

Eric

Cowboy, your talking me into it, that is for sure!!!! Just give me a little more time to research this setup and then I will decide if I want to go in that direction. I must way all my options you understand. Let me ask you this, if your going that far why not just get a good welder and go with an American Chevy or Ford tranny and rear end transplant? I now off hand that the good ones can take whatever hp you can produce. Oh, and in regards what car is going to pass you with 600hp on the streets and not the track? A modified Viper maybe? How often do you run into one of those? Are you sure 600rwhp won't get the job done? I could only image!!! Well it all sounds like a blast to me, I may have to go on the list very soon. Stay tuned, and thanks again for the suggestions and info.

Here in Orlando, there are blown, N2O, and Twin Turbo Vipers around. N2O, and Turbo Bikes, S13 and S14's that have 140+ mph trap speed, and many 1000+HP Supras. 600rwhp these days just ain't enough. There's the 900awhp AMS Evo that makes it down regularly, and a few turbo Mustangs putting our over 1000rwhp, also. 600 sounds like a lot, but it really isn't. : )

You can put a Ford or Chevy tranny in if you choose, but then you're talking something that's IMO is no where in the same leage as a V160. If you've ever driven the Supra 6 speed, then hopped out and and driven the Camaro 6 speed, you'll quickly see what I mean. You can put a Th400 tranny in, btu that just takes all the joy out of living since it, and it's cousins, are all drag trannies.

Eric

Good point! Here in LA near Malibu you get a lot of yuppies with their expensive factory sports cars like porchse's, ferrari's, Lambo's, amg's, a viper hear and there. In the Valley which is not far we get a lot of new vet's and mustangs suped up, etc... Nothing like your Orlando hot rods you mentioned, if that is the case you better step it up cowboy, a twin turbo V10 Viper now that sounds scary!!!! Those babies are fast at stock without the turbo's and grip well because of there V10 weight, and massive rear tires. I wasn't planning on racing motorcycles they don't count, but if that's the case 7,8 900 hp and whole lot of traction would definetely be needed.

I had a street legal semi drag bike and I remember I never lost one race to anything on that beast, I still have a picture of it from years back, check this. I had to just try and hold on in the first three gears, bored and jetted, stretched. lowered, you name it, I am lucky I didn't die on that thing. Anyway that is the fastest motorized vehicle I have ever driven and probably ever will, extremely hard to beat 0-100 by any car and most newer bikes today. This is a picture out of my photo album. I don't ride bikes anymore, too dangerous in the big city. Late-

I once raced my friend in his Supra......... I was on a measly little YZF600.......... yeah... i know... My R1 had already died at that point...... (good thing it wasn't me going with it!!!)

But here it is..... 1:30am on a clear night......... we are at his brothers house......... and we left....... my friend lives near me..... couple exits away...... So we get on the highway........ of course.... i just take off and blow by him......... no big deal....... granded this supra has 800+ at the wheels...... So.......i just cruise around 80........ he eventually catches up...... just barely going faster..... pulls in front of me......me of course.....i'm ready for him...... hahahhaha.... i'm in 3rd...... revving..... waiting for him to go........so we come around a slight corner.... onto a downhill straight into an uphill and back to a downhill........... He of course hits the gas (see the extra fuel coming out burned of course) and i immediately twist the wrist............. i redlined 3rd..........4th...........5th........... and shift into 6th........ i can finally see him again....... so now i am pretty much topped out...... the bike has no more gears and no more balls.... the mph is going up slowly....... 155.......156..........157...........157..........158......... Now i am catching up........ onto the little uphill part....3 lanes.....he moved to the right...... i am passing him in the middle.......he said he slowed down to 140ish.....course, he was ready for me as well....... i pass him........slowly.......... next thing........ i see a tracter trailer in the middle lane ahead...... i go left....... this is after i passed him............ next thing....... as i am passing the truck..... this is all very fast of course........ all i see is a streak go by under the truck...... nest thing you know........ i cannot see the supra again......... F$#%$# bastard lol...... again i check for more gears....... more twist......... notta........ look down..... just start laughing........ slow down and just cruise at about 120.....till the exit........

he slowed down and let me pass him......... then i waited at the exit...... and we just sat there and laughed......... that was embarrassing.......... even before...... i have driven this car.........been in this car numerous times...... i knew i had no chance........ but still.................. it was embarrassing........ there was not even a minimal chance to do anything......... ahhhhh......... what a good laugh :smileysex

That's funny I would think it would still be hard for a car to beat even a FZR600 but I can believe that with an 800hp supra. I say about a month ago I tried to race the new CBR1000, I think it is a 1000cc it was night and I could not see the numbers on the bike, anyway I was in my sc400, and riding the nos I am around 400hp maybe a little more and I knew I was going to lose but I tell you it was not even remotely close the bike was gone while I was still spinning my rear wheels in second gear. It's like a whole different level with newer bikes in the 1000cc range. I would like to see if that Supra your talking about would have kept up with the new Honda CBR that wasted me?

jibby said:
That's funny I would think it would still be hard for a car to beat even a FZR600 but I can believe that with an 800hp supra. I say about a month ago I tried to race the new CBR1000, I think it is a 1000cc it was night and I could not see the numbers on the bike, anyway I was in my sc400, and riding the nos I am around 400hp maybe a little more and I knew I was going to lose but I tell you it was not even remotely close the bike was gone while I was still spinning my rear wheels in second gear. It's like a whole different level with newer bikes in the 1000cc range. I would like to see if that Supra your talking about would have kept up with the new Honda CBR that wasted me?
Well......... given the fact that i had a YZF-R1 as my last bike........ i would say it definitely would have been a much closer race....... I can assure you, he would not have gone away on me that fast anyway.......... On the R1 or any liter bike nowadays....... 0-150 is very fast...... even 160.......... 170 is not far away........... acceleration is rediculous........... in a long race...... the Supra would dust the Bike..........his car will go probably 207.......209...... 210 perhaps.... and get to 180 easily..... and fast.... i would say it would be close up to 135 - 140 or so.....when you're getting into 4th gear with the bike taking a decent lead...... but then i think the bike would just start going backwards provided there was enough real estate and you both had the balls : D The bike would still lose..... but it would not be so embarrassing i'm sure.... I am sure there is someone else on here that can relate......... COWBOY BEBOP, learn him a lesson for me

Dan

Here are a couple picts of me and my beloved R1 (RIP)

All I can say is that when the boost comes on, it's horrifying.

Eric

Horrifying or liberating? Lesson learned any way, thanks. Really didn't think these monster Supra's could keep up with a very good street bike, I guess I am wrong, wow!!! Would it be safe to say your FXY-R1 would atleast out handle any supra on the planet on a good canyon run with lots of turns? Granted both drivers are experienced? I don't even think a nascar can out perform your bike on real curvy race track, granted the motorcycle rider really knows how to ride. Anyway I appreciate the race stories, it's nice to hear about a race story every now a then.

jibby said:
Horrifying or liberating? Lesson learned any way, thanks. Really didn't think these monster Supra's could keep up with a very good street bike, I guess I am wrong, wow!!! Would it be safe to say your FXY-R1 would atleast out handle any supra on the planet on a good canyon run with lots of turns? Granted both drivers are experienced? I don't even think a nascar can out perform your bike on real curvy race track, granted the motorcycle rider really knows how to ride. Anyway I appreciate the race stories, it's nice to hear about a race story every now a then.
This will be a big debate of course : ) There was an article in Motorcyclist i think years ago about a car versus a bike at Willow Springs... It was an NSX vresus a CBR900RR... on the straights....... the bike won....... But in the turns..........somehow the car caught up if i remember correctly. The overall lap times were very very close though. They attributed it to having much more grip with the extra rubber as well as downforce. I guess it is safe to say in pure acceleration from a slow speed, the bike wins hands down. The law of physics win out, but once things get rolling........ the bike rider better hold on when the gust of wind goes by : D

Dan

Of course, remember.... we are talking about abnormal cars.......... in my friends Supra......... as Cowboy Bebop says................ once you hit boost........ its over.... say about 4000rpms..... then it's hold on........ regular cars....... F bodies or mustangs or whatever......... they have no chance.... i swear in that car it takes about 3 seconds to get to 175 or so....... it's rediculous..... but it puts the biggest smile on you and in you :veryhappy

jibby, don't forget to enter your name in the group buy area for a V160 Bellhousing. : )

Eric

Cowboy I won't forget, still need to check out all options, however the V160 is definetely the choice so far.

Now YZFR- I saw a test a year ago on ESPN2 and it was in Europe where a race bike Ducatti I think a 996 went against a formula race car, yes FORMULA, the track was pretty curvy the bike pulled away slowely after 2 laps the gap widened big time between the two. We are talking about a Formula race car with full aerodymanics and what 1000hp granted the bike was race built as well. I think the physics always gives the edge to bikes when turning and quick bursts. I rode bikes for many years had one friend that should have been a profession bike racer, an awesome rider, I had a 300zx twin turbo with fat tires and upgraded suspension, 300hp nothing special, but that car could handle with the best of them my friend was on a CBR went racing in the Malibu canyons and I was redlining, frying my clutch trying to keep the turbo's ingaged, doing what ever I could do to keep up, at the end of the race he was sitting on his bike at the bottom of the hill with his helmet in his lap. My 300zx twin was smoking, tires roasted, and I actually lost boost in one of the turbo's from that race, and I was pushing the limits bigtime and then some on that heap! Anyway that is my experience with bikes vs cars. A month later I sold that twin, it was never the same. Anyway it's all good, this has been an intertaining post for me thanks.