Welding Stainless Steel with Mild Steel

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
i have welded stainless to mild steel lots before and have just a GP electrode like a satincraft13 it works good for me but i do it for a job (boilermaker) and also with low hydrogen electrodes
we use a argon mix at work in all our migs which is a argon/oxy mix i think havent been there for about 10 months due to a knee injury but its called corgon
as said before if it is subject to high heat it will expand at different rate and may cause cracking. although a mate did make a manifold for his tubro pulsar and used stainless fillerwire on the mild steel steam pipe bends ect and it didn't crack he only had it on the car for 4 months but i still saw it glowing red hot a few times!
i have also done the same when welding cast to mild steel used the mig or lowhydrogen electrode and pre heat the cast and weld away i did this for a mate with a turbo manifold i put a t3 flange on for and its still in action today 2 years later

i would probaly use 316 stainless rod in a tig then you shouldnt have any problems with cracking if you can get hold of pickling paste which is an acid it will clean the weld up and stop corrosion

NO, for most steel pure CO2 is fine, but with argon mixed in is MUCH better, esp with hardened, high carbon, or allloyed steel. The more argon the better, argon is many times more expensive than CO2 though. For stainless pure argon or 75% argon 25 CO2 is reccomended.

Aluminum, titanium etc must use pure argon!!!!

Read up on it I am not the ultimate authority

Jay

Using a shielding gas containing carbon dioxide to weld stainless is a bad idea. The carbon, which ionises in the arc will combine with the nickel and chromium to form carbides which precipitate out of the alloy, lowering the local concentration of Ni and Cr (these are the metals whose inert oxides make stainless steel corrosion resistant), leaving the area vunerable to corrosion and cracking.