VVTi Vs Non VVTi

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
I read a lot about how close a well ported non vvti 1uz head will flow identically to a vvti stock head.

My Q is that, how hard would it be to swap a 1uz vvti head to a non vvti 1uz? since i'm not using vvti, the only mod I can see is welding the vvti ports right?

-Im guessing I would need either a custom manifold or a stock vvti intake
mani right?

I read a lot about how close a well ported non vvti 1uz head will flow identically to a vvti stock head.

My Q is that, how hard would it be to swap a 1uz vvti head to a non vvti 1uz? since i'm not using vvti, the only mod I can see is welding the vvti ports right?

-Im guessing I would need either a custom manifold or a stock vvti intake
mani right?

Nope...all the oil galleries are different not just those to the VVti. So basically you'll need to block the stock galleries in the block and tap into them somewhere to run an external oil line to the head. I looked into this and it would be a PITA of major proportions to get it all right.

I gave up :(

Nope...all the oil galleries are different not just those to the VVti. So basically you'll need to block the stock galleries in the block and tap into them somewhere to run an external oil line to the head. I looked into this and it would be a PITA of major proportions to get it all right.

I gave up :(

Seems i didn't look into this as thoroughly as i should have,, not having the whole picture in front of me at any one time.

It does appear now that the VVTi heads (if you don't want to run VVTi) may indeed fit the non VVTi block as the main gallery is in the same position :eek:

I still need to confirm that the VVTi oil feed onl,y does VVTi and not oil the front of the cams as well which is a real possibility still.

Hmmmm potentially a coupla years stuffing around i didn't need to bother with :rolleyes:

mmmmm interesting, keep us posted Justen.

My next step is to delve into a set of heads to make them flow better along with some cams. I'm not particularly interested in VVTi set up but the coil on plug and better flow capabilities is starting to excite me.

I'm note sure if there is an off the shelf supercharger manifold for these heads yet? I did hear rumors there was one in the making?

mmmmm interesting, keep us posted Justen.

My next step is to delve into a set of heads to make them flow better along with some cams. I'm not particularly interested in VVTi set up but the coil on plug and better flow capabilities is starting to excite me.

I'm note sure if there is an off the shelf supercharger manifold for these heads yet? I did hear rumors there was one in the making?

Yup Bullet have a manifold for these heads...it's not on their site but if you give them a call i think they should be able to help you out. Good looking manifolds too.....much nicer straight off the shelf than the Richwood ones.

Justen, how far do the front galleries miss each other by? If there is plenty of meat in the area, you could mill half a gallery in the block and the other half in the head to link the two misaligned ports. Then cut the head gasket to suit and apply a neat little bead of high temp silicone on each side of the gasket on assembly.

No doubt there's not enough room to do this? - just trying to think a bit outside the box to throw up some ideas.

Always been a fan of your car Justen, keep the updates coming mate.

I still don't have all the bits in front of me to confirm 100% but it appears the oil galleries in both types are block for the cam feed are the same (bar the missing VVTi feed). The remaining question is whether the VVTi feed also lubes the front of the VVTi cam?....i have these bits so just need to dig them out and have a look.

No need for fancy machining much to my disgust :(

Wow, this is all good news. I was surprised that Justen had "discovered" that the oil passages were different and am now happy to find that observation pre-mature. The early 1uz blocks have thicker cylinder liners, stronger stock rods and IIRC a stronger crankshaft. Definitely better points for beginning a high power build.

That a supercharger intake is now available is also very tempting. That said the stock VVTi intake is pretty sweet. I am still thinking two small low boost turbos... to keep the transmission from destruction.

All u need to do is to thread a 1/4" npt plug into the block where the oil supply to the vvti and u are set. However, since the pre and post heads are different design you might need to change out the pistons.

All u need to do is to thread a 1/4" npt plug into the block where the oil supply to the vvti and u are set. However, since the pre and post heads are different design you might need to change out the pistons.

I am more in thinking of using the 1st gen block/crank with the VVTi heads and intake.

Not if you do not use the VVTi function AND that the cam oiling is not provided by the same oil passage as the VVTi uses.

IF and that is IF the above is accurate you can use the better VVTi heads and intake with the stronger block and crank of the 1st gen.

Once this is accomplished one may consider the difficulty in both providing oil pressure to the VVTi assembly and the control options. Of course if using in a VVTi equiped vehicle the second part is covered.

are vvti motors as "strong" as non vvti 1uz's?

4000gt's motor is a vvti or non? i think he has a gt45 (i dont know mm?) single turbo boosting 16psi on a bone stock 1uz-fe (making 490whp?)

just curious what the vvti's limits were and which one would be a better application for mods...?

Factory rods are weeeeak on all toyota V8 VVT-I motors. They can barely handle 6psi with full tune. Easiest fix is to swap rods from 1990-1993 1uz's and rebalance. This will bump you into the mid teens. Chevy H-beams will raise that into the 20+ psi range but cost more. 500whp w/ a stick can be done on a stock early 1uz but you need a well thought out tune. "JustinGT8" has hit that hp range on his "unopened" twin turbo uz.

In the end a 1990 LS400 or 1992 SC400 half cut will be way less than $1000 and is the strongest of the entire UZ family. They do not have VVT-i so thats really the only trade off. You can however build your VVt with the rods listed above to have your cake and eat it too but it just comes down to cost and time. If you swap rods there is no real strength defference between the VVt and non vvt. Both are 6 bolt all alloys of the same factory casting minus the oil lube ports for the vvti heads.

JBrady:

I was thinking of using the high flow charactaristics of the VVT heads but do not need the VVT function. So if like you said, the lube circuits "line up" with the ports on the early uz, this could work? Would we be able to use the vvti cams as is or would early ones need to swap over?

Last edited:
JBrady:

I was thinking of using the high flow charactaristics of the VVT heads but do not need the VVT function. So if like you said, the lube circuits "line up" with the ports on the early uz, this could work? Would we be able to use the vvti cams as is or would early ones need to swap over?

You can't swap cams as totally different. The VVti head onto non VVti block is looking more promising than i originally thought but i still have yet to confirm whether the VVTi port does any cam oiloing as well....i think not but best to be 100% sure eh ;)

IS300 guys delete vvti, you have to get non vvti cams machined to fit the vvti head. And remove the solenoid.

IS300 guys delete vvti, you have to get non vvti cams machined to fit the vvti head. And remove the solenoid.

The early 2uz uses the late model front gear cam design without VVti. This would allow the above suggestion with the V8s. It is also a possibility to simply lock the VVTi mechanism and use stock or reground VVTi cams. I wonder what the mechanism would do without oil pressure? Maybe stay in one position?

The big question is the compatibility of the VVTi heads and intake (much better flowing) with the stronger early block/crank/rods/pistons.

Justen has done some of the homework. The possibile option being NOT using any oil flow to the head IF and only IF some other component such as the cam bearings do not need flow from that port. If this is the case simply install VVTi heads and cams and lock the cam mechanism.

It May be POSSIBLE for the early blocks to have the required oil port drilled into the stock galley. That would be the cleanest and easiest way IF and only IF the oil passages are the same except for the VVTi oil pressure port in the block. I would love this option as getting an early engine is cheap and easy and having it modded would give me a stronger short block allowing boost and or nitrous.

im facing the same problem. i have a 3uzfe vvti head and a 2uzfe short block non vvti, we have to drill the oil passage into the block to mate with the vvti heads