VVTi Vs Non VVTi

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
I got a chance to take some pictures of VVTi and Non-VVTi. This thread is only addressing the block and not the function of VVTi heads. Anyway, as you can see the VVTi block has an extra oil outlet on each side of the block. It feed oil to the heads for VVTi function. You can also see the second block (pre VVTi) without oil outlet. So, for some of you guys want to run VVTi heads, then you need supply oil from the gallery to the heads. For some people want to run the 4.3L block in there pre VVTi heads then you need to block off the oil gallery.

Non VVTi
1UZFE (1990 to 1997)

VVTi
1UZFE (1998 to 2000)

VVTi
2UZFE (2004 to 2006)

VVTi
3UZFE (2001 to 2006)

Enjoy....

I think Justen was in the process of it but I dont think he did. However, we have used few VVTi block with Non VVTi heads. We just block off the oil outlet. However, using VVTi heads won't be a bad idea either.

Attachments

• Mustang-V10.jpg
    Mustang-V10.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 336
Yeah i was 'informed' the blocks were the same so currently have a set of VVTi heads waiting for me to find a VVTi block :)

Maybe you can help me out David.....just an empty VVTi block is all i need,, if you are coming across them regularly?

Justen,

VVTi blocks are hard to find. US sellers know how to ask for big bucks even just a block. Why not tap the oil gallary and run two 4 AN line to the heads. That will solve your VVTi quest...

Sounds easy but not as simple as you make it sound Lex :)

Non VVTi block doesn't have the gallery so need to tap into another and match to VVTi head....a bit of trial and error could be involved which isn't ideal for a back yarder like myself. If i was shop sponsored i would have done this years ago :)

If i run out of options/patience i'll give it a crack but time for someone else to guinea pig :)

There's no oil gallery there in the non VVTi block david? I can see things quickly becoming not so simple :) As i have already said, i have to find another gallery, test there's enough meat to either tap or weld, hope nothing weird happens to oil pressure and then do all the sam,e with the VVTi heads.....could well get real expensive real fast.

All doable for sure, i'm just not in a position to play with this at the moment.

I think david means to drill the gallery from outside the engine in the valley, and weld a bung on there. the non vvt block indeed doesnt have a riser on from the main gallery in the valley that ends up in the hole for the VVT presure that the block also doesn't have....

What about the steel balled blocked one on the non vvt head itself, what's that do??? seems presure fed. if a vvt head has that one also it might be handy to know what it does...

grtz Thomas

Which is what i said was needed ergo all the issues i raised. It's all possible but no one has done it so no one can say it's easy...having tackled many custom mods in the past i know full well that 'simple' can rapidly = 'expensive'. Jeez, just look at the issues Cribbj has had and there's not a man more thorough on this forum.

1st option is to find a VVTi block...i'm currently not in a position to do a full build so i have the time to wait. If nothing turns up then plan B will most likely be external galleries. I only want the VVTi heads for their flow gains,, not the VVti anyways

that's what I thought.... easy enough, VVT does not really use flow, it only uses the presure if i'm not mistaking.

grtz Thomas

sorry I thought the uz had a seperate port for the VVT oil.

you are in trouble then......

still routing outside should pose no problems if done right, can't see that going very expensive unless you need to route drill the heads gallery towards the outside of the casting. surely you can feed into the head from a convenient point somewhere.

grtz Thomas

ok, then "T" off of the oil pressure sending unit if you dont want to drill into the block.

That's what honda ppl do. They block the port in the head and run oil from the Oil pressure sending unit, and tap it into the head for the vtec solenoid. I don't really know how VVTi works, but if it's the same like honda's vtec, then I couldn't imagine it being that hard.

Like Justin pointed out, he's not after getting the VVT to work,
if I asume correct the lexus engine uses the oilfeed via the block for the whole head including the VVT, which is operated by a selonoid in the head itself like the 4age 20v. problem is the oilfeed from the block to the heads seems to differ in location in vvt heads vs non vvt heads.

still if you can tap a NTP thread into the heads gallery there's no reason why a seperate feed can be acomplished quite easy and cheap(ish)
I do think you need to step a size up to flow enough oil for 2 x 4 clyinder 16v heads than the smallish stock 1/8bsp threaded hole at the presure sender unit, that's when it gets expensive:nono: which is what Justin's afraid of I think.

Grtz Thomas

The VVti gets a separate oil feed off the front of the block. For whatever reason Toyota also modded the oil feed to the heads for the VVTi? Unexpected and i can see no reason for it as non VVti heads have no oil supply issues?

Anyways, if it all went well 1st time then no expensive at all. No one has done this before so could be i will come across issues that you just can forecast? or tapping an oil gallery turns out not to be ideal (welding on bungs doesn't sound like a good idea to me?)

So, if it doesn't go smoothly it quickly gets expensive :)

No need for me to try this yet....more than happy for ,someone else to lead the way though :)

Like Justin pointed out, he's not after getting the VVT to work,
if I asume correct the lexus engine uses the oilfeed via the block for the whole head including the VVT, which is operated by a selonoid in the head itself like the 4age 20v. problem is the oilfeed from the block to the heads seems to differ in location in vvt heads vs non vvt heads.

still if you can tap a NTP thread into the heads gallery there's no reason why a seperate feed can be acomplished quite easy and cheap(ish)
I do think you need to step a size up to flow enough oil for 2 x 4 clyinder 16v heads than the smallish stock 1/8bsp threaded hole at the presure sender unit, that's when it gets expensive:nono: which is what Justin's afraid of I think.

Grtz Thomas

I agree to a point on the size of the feed, but heads generally do not need much flow at all.. Ever looked at the oil feed port in a JZ engine? Its only in the neighbor hood of 4mm or so in diameter. We are only talking 4 more cam journals (12 for the JZ vs. 16 for the UZ). Now if you were using the VVT, then flow volume could be for more important.

On that note, if the sending unit port is to small, then (not sure about all) but the SC400 oil filter adapters have two other threaded and blocked ports and thus one could be used. IIRC, they are 1/4bsp (maybe 3/8bsp). They are the ones in the front of the unit where they had to drill the casting from the out side to link the feed galley from the pump to the filter and back to the return galley back to the block but at the proper port diameter and then block the outside back off. So a 8AN out of the port then split to 2 4AN's should be more the suffiecent, or what ever size matched or very close to the factory head feed port diameter. Either which way, it shouldn't be very expensive to do.... Maybe I'll be the test dumby for this one if I end up getting the set of VVTi head that I actually inquiered about today as a matter of fact.