Upper Control Arm Balljoint Fix !!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Kiwi.in.aus

Have spent a bit of time thinking and exploring alternatives for this problem , one thing I was not going to do was pay Aus $1006.78 for a complete arm from those Lexus thieves here in Aus !!
The other was not going to pay Aus $500.00 to get one in from the States , even at half price .
I came across some V8 supercar top control arm buhes and these looked like the solution .
These are top line corrosion resistant stainless steel high load teflon bushed units , 3 times the price of the common garden variety units .
After removing the rolled over lip on the rear of the standard arm the guts comes out easily , only had to line bore out 2 mm to get the correct fit and add a circlip groove to hold it all in place .
I'm having a 4130 grade pin CNC'ed up that will bolt into the bush and it will have the standard taper and thread the same as the standard balljoint end , ball joint replacement problem solved !!
Total coat around Aus $200.00 for the first time , in 5 years time or more it will be just a new bush at Aus $98.00 , very very happy !!

Can you post a pic after the balljoint is installed? You have a very good idea in doing this. If you succeed in repairing the control arms (upper & lower) for both SC and LS and keep the costs below factory arms, you can make some big bucks.

I'd be interested in hearing how the new teflon bushing affects the ride quality vs the softer OEM bushing.

The standard joint runs in very hard nylon , the cushioning occurs at the inner mounts that are rubber so I wouldn't expect the ride quality to change , might even be better as the load is being transfered with no movement to where it should be , when the pins are made we will find out I guess !!

My ball joints were going bad on my 1992 SC400, the rubber housing was split...I saw no way to replace the ball joint...I went ahead and purchased a new set of supra LCA from the Toyota dealer at a dealer discount of $400 for both..They came new with the OEM bushing...Mounted up perfect on my SC400...What a difference... I got the dealer discount thru a good friend...

Would like to know how you did that...I took a look at my old arms and it seems very difficult to do what you suggest....Awesome...

Upper control arm solution...

I have a 92 LS400 and am very interested in anything that would save me $$ and stop me from buying new front upper control arms for my car. My upper ball joints are shot and I cannot aford $400+ for one upper control arm...kiwi.in.aus has a great idea...any info please inform me....am a fellow kiwi in US

i have a 92 sc400 and am looking to change out the control arms on the front (jibbby) talked about replacing them with Supra control arms. Is it the same year of supra c/a that fit my, car any info would be welcome.

Attachments

• PICT0010.JPG
    PICT0010.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 59
  • PICT0013.JPG
    PICT0013.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 44
i have a 92 sc400 and am looking to change out the control arms on the front (jibbby) talked about replacing them with Supra control arms. Is it the same year of supra c/a that fit my, car any info would be welcome.
The 1993-1998 Supra will fit perfectly on 1992-2000 SC. Supra lower control arms are the best bet. They're cheaper and better than stock SC arms. Replacing only the bushings are the loss.

What about the upper arms are the ball joint permanent or do I need to replace the whole arm too.
The upper arms are rarely worn out because they don't have too much stress as the lower arms. You may either keep them stock or replace only with the aftermarket bushings. All balljoints are permanent to both lower or upper arms.

Does this apply to SC's only (I read the the SC was semi repairable) I have an LS and a mill handy. Ever hear about injecting resin into the ball joint socket? Sounds far fetched but may be worth a try as you already have a shot set of UCA's. :la: