Un-tiliting a Crown 1UZ.

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

361UZ

Greetings all, from Oz.

I am installing a 1UZ from a Crown in a Street rod.
The engine when in the Crown is tilted over to allow space for the steering box.
I wish to install it "upright".
Obviously this will mean the gearbox is tilted - not an ideal situation (I think).
I see from a previous post that I can use a Soarer (or similar) bell housing - IF I can source one, but is there another solution?
Can the bellhousing be re-drilled at the gearbox end so the gearbox can be rotated a few degrees?
THanks.

Are you running a standard lexus gearbox? The other thing toyota did was change the angle of the sump so with the motor tilted the base of the sump pan sits flat. When we set them up (we have fitted a few into early 80s crowns) we always make sure the sump sits correctly. Cheers

Yes, you can run a Soarer or a Celsior bellhousing to correct the tilt.
I'm not sure if there is enough meat in the bellhousing to drill new holes, if there is enough meat then yes, you can redrill.

But as noted above the stock Crown midsump pan is also tilted (as is the oil pickup) so that when the engine is tilted the sump and pickup are flat.

If you run with the stock sump and a flat engine I'm not sure if you'll have any problems.
I dare say if she's just a cruiser you wont have issues, but not sure how she'll go with cornering.

Yes, you can run a Soarer or a Celsior bellhousing to correct the tilt.
I'm not sure if there is enough meat in the bellhousing to drill new holes, if there is enough meat then yes, you can redrill.

But as noted above the stock Crown midsump pan is also tilted (as is the oil pickup) so that when the engine is tilted the sump and pickup are flat.

If you run with the stock sump and a flat engine I'm not sure if you'll have any problems.
I dare say if she's just a cruiser you wont have issues, but not sure how she'll go with cornering.

Thanks for the replys guys.
And thanks Peewee. How's life in the sunny West?

Re the sump, I haven't studied the innards, yet. Is the pickup on the left or right (as viewed from the drivers seat)? I know the dipstick wouldn't be accurate anyway. But I will review it once the engine is out of it's current home (2 shillings and 6 pence).
Thanks again.

Jeff

Pictures as promised

I swapped a mid sump onto a rear sump motor and vise versa. Also see my "show us your crack" thread to get another angle. I hope they help. I also have similar ones of the rear sump. Cheers