89 Crown o2 sensors

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

redsx

Looking for advice or thoughts on O2 sensors and what alternatives I should consider. I am currently wiring up a tuner series wolf ecu building a new harness and had planned on using wide band sensors, yes Gloverman I am paying attention and yes, I should have bought a Link.
I just can’t get any information from wolf support and their documentation is seriously lacking.
Wolf previously claimed they supported wide band sensors and wires were there but they actually didn’t and I can’t confirm if the current tuner series does, the only documentation is only for the older ecu not the current one, there appears to be wiring for one wide band channel not two, although it supports two narrow band sensors, but no wiring for heaters and was told the heaters also need to be controlled by the ecu and not just 12v from the battery, can anyone confirm this?
I currently still have the crown log manifolds which have single wire o2 sensors which has a shielded cable back to the ecu. I am guessing they would be original 89 ones as the motor has only done 96k so will probably need replacing. So looking at what to wire it up for?
The one wire sensors don’t seem to be as common these days and it appears most 1uzfe use a four wire versions with heaters, so also looking to future proof.
Wide band sensors probably wouldn’t work for long in the current sensor locations in the underside of the log manifolds, so I am guessing I would have to located further down the exhaust where it runs in a long balance pipe and just use one wide band sensor on the off chance the ecu does support wide band, or try to use later type of narrow band sensors, I don’t really want to buy an additional wide band controller.
I should also mention there are no cats in the system. so any advice is much appreciate.

Wolf ECUs work well once wired in and tuned. I run a V550 on my 1UZ. They are incredibly tricky to get your head around the ignition setup and trigger sequence if your using something other than stock. The ECU does support 2 O2's either wide band or narrow band. Sounds like you need to do a little more reading. Narrow band (single wire) O2's use the exhaust to bring the sensor up to temp and have an OP voltage 0 - 1V with stoich around .45V. Wide bands are 0 - 5V OP and require a heater controller wiring them to fixed 12V will only cook em.. The wiring info you seek can be found on their website. I'm pretty sure the wiring diagram for a V500 / V550 is the same as the current tuner. Good luck.

Thanks for your reply Ivan, I have to admit I am a complete novice on EMS. I have read the V550 manual over and over and it doesn't really give you anything much, it only ever mentions Lambda 1, it has a brief configuration setup on wide band, which mainly refers to the manufacturers instructions and a bit more on narrow band, but no directions on how to wire or connect it. No mention of heater controllers, or any mention of heaters at all. There are two oxygen sensor signal inputs but the only wiring diagram is a general schematics diagram showing connection of the signal wire for one oxygen sensor, a ground for sensor 1 which I presume you can also connect senor two as well, It shows power for the heater coming from the ignition relay, no heater controller. The ignition relay supplies all power to the ECU and everything else so is more like a main or EFI relay. The schematics also shows a pin for Oxygen sensor 1 Pump (LSU-4) on A33 , but not in the pinout or in the manual, I don't know whether you can use this for both sensors. I have searched on the wolfems site for wiring diagrams with no avail, so if you can provide a link for me would be much appreciated. I have asked their support and have had no answer, along with internet searches for information on hooking up wide band on the wolf and the only comments that come up is you need a separate wide band controller as they falsely claimed wide band support, I have seen no posts saying this has been resolved. So at this point I don't not what to buy or wire for.

Wolf ECUs work well once wired in and tuned. I run a V550 on my 1UZ. They are incredibly tricky to get your head around the ignition setup and trigger sequence if your using something other than stock. The ECU does support 2 O2's either wide band or narrow band. Sounds like you need to do a little more reading. Narrow band (single wire) O2's use the exhaust to bring the sensor up to temp and have an OP voltage 0 - 1V with stoich around .45V. Wide bands are 0 - 5V OP and require a heater controller wiring them to fixed 12V will only cook em.. The wiring info you seek can be found on their website. I'm pretty sure the wiring diagram for a V500 / V550 is the same as the current tuner. Good luck.

Thanks for your reply Ivan, I have to admit I am a complete novice on EMS. I have read the V550 manual over and over and it doesn't really give you anything much, it only ever mentions Lambda 1, it has a brief configuration setup on wide band, which mainly refers to the manufacturers instructions and a bit more on narrow band, but no directions on how to wire or connect it. No mention of heater controllers, or any mention of heaters at all. There are two oxygen sensor signal inputs but the only wiring diagram is a general schematics diagram showing connection of the signal wire for one oxygen sensor, a ground for sensor 1 which I presume you can also connect senor two as well, It shows power for the heater coming from the ignition relay, no heater controller. The ignition relay supplies all power to the ECU and everything else so is more like a main or EFI relay. The schematics also shows a pin for Oxygen sensor 1 Pump (LSU-4) on A33 , but not in the pinout or in the manual, I don't know whether you can use this for both sensors. I have searched on the wolfems site for wiring diagrams with no avail, so if you can provide a link for me would be much appreciated. I have asked their support and have had no answer, along with internet searches for information on hooking up wide band on the wolf and the only comments that come up is you need a separate wide band controller as they falsely claimed wide band support, I have seen no posts saying this has been resolved. So at this point I don't not what to buy or wire for.

Are you sure you have downloaded the ECU pin-out? I'm a little surprised you can't see that the signal wires (Inputs for your O2s) are on A31 & B23 with the O2 Gnd on A32. There is a PWM output to drive the O2 heaters on A33 however I would purchase a dedicated controller if your going WB. Single wire NB O2s will work fine as long as your engine tune can keep the O2 within the Narrow band sensor range. NB are just a little slow until you get some exhaust temp into m. Wolf sell / recommend a specific O2 https://www.wolfems.com.au/products/accessories/techedge-2j9-gauge-kit however there are plenty of others out there like innovate.
You have to set up the parameters for the O2s your using in the Wolf setup. If your dealing with Robbie at wolf, he is a brilliant guy but quickly runs out of time for you if he thinks your wasting his time. He'll just tell you to take your project to a wolf certified shop.

Are you sure you have downloaded the ECU pin-out? I'm a little surprised you can't see that the signal wires (Inputs for your O2s) are on A31 & B23 with the O2 Gnd on A32. There is a PWM output to drive the O2 heaters on A33 however I would purchase a dedicated controller if your going WB. Single wire NB O2s will work fine as long as your engine tune can keep the O2 within the Narrow band sensor range. NB are just a little slow until you get some exhaust temp into m. Wolf sell / recommend a specific O2 https://www.wolfems.com.au/products/accessories/techedge-2j9-gauge-kit however there are plenty of others out there like innovate.
You have to set up the parameters for the O2s your using in the Wolf setup. If your dealing with Robbie at wolf, he is a brilliant guy but quickly runs out of time for you if he thinks your wasting his time. He'll just tell you to take your project to a wolf certified shop.
Oh, one other thing to mention; you don't have to use O2 if they are causing you greif. Your tuner will most likely stick his own O2 gauge up your car's pipe and will tune the fuel from that. Most do b4 they switch over to the vehicles O2s.

Hi Ivan thanks again, not causing me grief as such as I can use the one wire and they heat up quickly up here. Yes I have the Pin-out diagrams and yes, I am aware the oxygen sensors signals run on A31 and B23, and presumed the earth is just spliced together. A33 is listed as Oxygen sensor pump for LSU-4 and I am not sure if this can be joined to be used as the pump on both LSU-4 sensors as there is only one pump output, thought it may cause issues and a dead sensors.
There is also no mention of A33 been able to be used as a PWM to drive the heaters, the only other PWM listed is at A3 Idle air (PWM) and it doesn't look as though it can be reassigned to run O2 heaters.
So in reality its not capable of running wide band on its own as claimed, which is what I wanted, and has apparently been an issue since the V500, they were supplying the techedge wide band controllers free of charge to people who complained loud enough at one point.
I have looked for just heater controllers but have yet to find one, and running a standalone wide band controller defeats the purpose of fine tuning while driving without having to connect to multiple devices and also I have a lack of inputs for the data to the wolf.
I am seriously beginning to regret this purchase, sure Robbie might be brilliant, but the lack of good informative up to date documentation for the Tuner series is a real problem, so people are going to be constantly contacting him with endless questions, including the wolf certified shops that have referred me back to Robbie as they don't hear back, and to make matters worse is that he is the only tech support for the product.
There is no actual documentation for the Tuner series, the help files in the software are for V550, there are no base maps, Robbie personally has to convert them from older maps, which I waited months for and lots of phone calls. So sorry really pissed and frustrated which has lead me to ask for help here. Pity there is no documentation on the canbus that it is suppose to support either, could use a Link can-lambda to connect it.