Twin turbo UZ ST185

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
250rwkw is approx 325hp. Without the water injection i get 344hp at the rear wheels.

Kill stories :) How about passing an Nissan V Spec R33 GTR down the straight at my local track like it was standing still :)

Car is great at killing diffs and gearboxes too :)

I dont know if this has been asked of you at any stage, but do you have any intentions of making it all wheel drive again ?

Is it even possible ?
What would be required?

Beautiful car by the way

somehow i dont think it has much room in the front for the front diff and driveshafts, hehe...

originally, the gt4's ran their engines east-west (FWD with transfer basically)... though with massive body mods, im sure you can combine some hilux sr5 running gear into it... though i dont think it would look the same afterwards.... hehe

Justen,
Sounds like you have some traction issues if you are wheel spinning that much at that power level.

I have been doing a fair amount on trying to improve traction as at this type of power level and above it is a big issue.

What tires are you using?
Do you know what wieght distribution you ended up with with the new setup? What about total weight of car?

Actually is there somewhere in Canberra you can go to weigh your car?

I still havn't seen your car around but I don't get out too much I suppose.

Marques in the park is on in a couple of weeks and I was thinking of going. Were you going to take your celica?

Matt

Drizt - I did consider keeping it AWD and there are a number of different ways you could go about it. The easiest way is to use the AWD Aristo driveline but that would mean an auto box which i'm not that keen on. I have another serious GT4 if i feel like some AWD traction so reckon i'll just keep this as a fun tyre smoker.

Matt - Spot on, the GT4 rear end is pretty ordinary in terms of geometry for straight line traction. Currentlt talking with Bate's head tech guy on ways to tweak the rear end for better traction. Some larger rubber wouldn't hurt as well. Currently running 18x235x40 pirelli semi race rubber.

Weight distribution is fine, much better than stock.

For those that are interested and can get access to it there's a feature on my car in the latest issue of SPEED (p52-56). Not bad with only a coupla blunders and the pics are great...overall very happy with the result.

I have been following our thread and I have a few thoughts on your traction issues. I was running 300 hp (about 250 at the wheels) in my RA65 Celica with a turboed 22RE and had similar issues when I took it to the drag strip. For drag racing, short sidewall tires just stink. Going to a 50 or even 60 aspect tire helps alot. My Nitto 205 55 14's hooked up much better than my Hoosier 225 50 14's even though the Hoosiers were much softer compound and over an inch wider at the tread. The other thing was limiting the camber while accelerating hard. My car had just over 2 degrees of negative camber at reast and over 3 at full acceleration. The stiff Hoosiers lost half their contact patch. I altered the angles of my rear subframe to get only 1.8 degrees at rest, then raised the ride height (gotta love coil overs) til it was down to just 1.2 degrees (almost 2 inches higher than autocross racing trim) and then I could do a full on clutch dump into second without breaking the tires loose. The launch is still a bit tough having to balance revs, boost, and clutch. Speaking of the clutch. My clutch on the other hand started slipping if I shifted it that hard so I know the traction was far better. It is a 1700 pound pressure plate on an 8 puck ceramic disk. It should hold well over 300 lb ft, and it seems okay was locked up, but during the shift I have to be at part throttle letting it up or it won't fully grab. The raised ride height actually increases the weight transfer onto the rear wheels so it worked great at the strip. Too bad I never had a chance to get a solid time but my engine data logs suggested very low 12's. This was all on the skinny 205 Nitto NT555R drag radials.

Oh Justen, if you have not seen my thread, I now own a 93 1UZ (whole LS400) and work has begun on getting it into my Celica. I hope to have some pictures to post soon.

Gary M.

Thanks Gary,
I'll be investing in some BF Goodridge drags for strip work on 16x9's so that should take care of the straight line stuff. It's street and circuit track duties where i need to work something out to get the rear planted. There are some tricks i can do with the whole rear cradle to get bgetter geomoetry for traction without hurting lateral grip so i'll be tweeking that during the HD gearbox install. I have just recently purchased some 18x9s for the rear as well so i can now get some serious sized rubber under there for all round duties.

With the twin plate button clutch there's no hint of slippage, see how we go once it get full power to the ground effectively.

I saw you had joined the fold, so to speak :) That will be a great little proj and i think you'll reap some additional handling benefits from the lighter 1UZ package...you thinking about going manual at all?

I am keepimg my W58 for a hopeful future install, but for the emissions police I will run the auto for now. I must run the proper ECU to go with the engine which means it expects an auto trans to be there. Any idea if the stock 93 ECU reports it's identity through any port that the test station might plug into? I am running the idea of using two 5SFE map sensor ECU's to control the motor. They are redilly available out of 90's Celicas. They came with manual transmissions and should report the same error codes and function just like the stock 93 Lexus ECU. I know that should run the engine well, but will it fool the inspectors? I can't seem to find any USA Toyota ECU that runs a V8 with a manual trans. There was talk of a later Landcruiser, but it is JDM not US.

Gary M.

Gary,
There are a few plug in little black boxes out there that send the ECU the signals it wants to see and let you run a manual box. Ballpark $300 Aussie from memory....maybe less? Try the Bullet site as a 1st port of call.

Hi dude; firken awesum job; have you had a chance to check her out round a circuit; i guess the 1uz sticks out abit in front of the wheels; so how do you reckon the weight distribution is? Id like to do a project with my st162 and 1uz; but getting a 4wd gearbox set up might be a mission; any ideas? Id like to do a mid mount; who needs passengers!
What are the turbos you are running; stock internals? keep up the good work man you're firken inspirational!

Thanks Stretch,
Yoiu can find specs on the car here and on the toymods forums. weight distribution is far better than stock. Eats up circuit work very nicely indeed...a bit of a handful ut who wants it too easy ? :)

Finally made it to the drag strip. On my daily driver street rubber i managed a 11.7@122mph with a 1.95 60'. I was heading for a better time with a 1.8 60' the next run but stuffed the change to 2nd and ran a 11.8.

Stick some DOT rated drag rubber on and i might just be able to jag a 10...that would be awesome for a car that drove 300km to the track and home again :)

Finally made it to the drag strip. On my daily driver street rubber i managed a 11.7@122mph with a 1.95 60'. I was heading for a better time with a 1.8 60' the next run but stuffed the change to 2nd and ran a 11.8.

Stick some DOT rated drag rubber on and i might just be able to jag a 10...that would be awesome for a car that drove 300km to the track and home again :)

dam thats some good time you are geting there justen.....:) do you have any videos of the drag/day ?